Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ummm, did you really watch this show? It was kind of lame from a "science" point of view. While it wasn't sensationalistic it did little to really describe the dynamics of high sides and the multitude of different types of low sides. It's really cool if you like to watch a given crash a dozen times and then a commercial then watch the same crash 8 more times in case you forgot what it looked like the first time. Then watch as some principles are explained with a computer generated model of a GSX-R. Incompletely I might add. This show could have been so much better and so much more informative than it was. While it was more entertaining than anything that was on at the time (the Barry Sheene portion was great) it still left quite a bit to be desired if the intent was to explain how crashes occur. Al Luddington's perspective saved the show in my opinion. At least he knows what he's talking about.........sean

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
I agree even though I really just caught bits and pieces of it. My impression was it was geared for the lay public, therefore laid out differently. No doubt if it was for serious enthusiasts, racers, etc it would have been different.

Anything about motorcycles is good as far as I'm concerned. I did enjoy the old footage, among other things it showed how much more dangerous the sport was back then. Hitting a bale of hay at 100+ doesn't seem to comforting.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Iwannaduc said:
Ummm, did you really watch this show? It was kind of lame from a "science" point of view. While it wasn't sensationalistic it did little to really describe the dynamics of high sides and the multitude of different types of low sides. It's really cool if you like to watch a given crash a dozen times and then a commercial then watch the same crash 8 more times in case you forgot what it looked like the first time. Then watch as some principles are explained with a computer generated model of a GSX-R. Incompletely I might add. This show could have been so much better and so much more informative than it was. While it was more entertaining than anything that was on at the time (the Barry Sheene portion was great) it still left quite a bit to be desired if the intent was to explain how crashes occur. Al Luddington's perspective saved the show in my opinion. At least he knows what he's talking about.........sean
I agree with everything you wrote, but it is the first special that I have ever watched that attempted to tackle the subject.

For some reasons, the British and other European countries tend to discuss motorcycle safety in a frank and open way in their magazines. Our US magazines tend to avoid the subject for the large part.

Besides, if you want to watch true travesity of science, spend some moments on a National Geographic UFO special.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts