Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nobody wants to lay down their beloved bike. So most of us jump through loops trying to protect our babies. Frame sliders, crash bars and protector films are usual choices. Will it actually help in case of a mishap?

Recently I picked up clean 2011 Multi that has been lowsided at approx. 30mph. Here is what it looks like, I marked damaged areas with red:

As I was trying to analyze the damage I noticed that area usually covered by crash bar was not even even affected. This raises a question - what is it protecting then? And this was probably the most typical crash.

Side plastic is worn through, pretzeled shifter, broken hand guard, passenger peg / bracket is bust and of course top case is scuffed. So from what it looks like with proper protection damage could really be limited.

First of all we need some kind of tank slider where the side panel is ground through. Similar products are available for most sportbikes. Here is example:

Next would be proper set of handguards. Twisted Throttle already offers a solution in form of Multi specific Barkbusters. Not the most elegant remedy, but better than nothing. I'm myself leaning towards Zeta hanguards with carbon fiber shields.

We are desperate for better shifter. Stock aluminum shifter bends or breaks even in the smallest of falls, we need to source something metal and preferably folding. Anyone?

Top case alone is great for protecting your bike. It's definitely doomed when you crash, but it's quite good at absorbing the impact and usually remains functional while protecting the rest of your bike.

One last thing that would work great would be solid passenger footpeg that acts like a slider and doesn't fold. Any ideas?

Nobody wants to fall, but if you do it's better to be prepared. Usually if you are fully insured all protection efforts may seem in vain, but if you are able to continue a trip without any substantial repair that alone would be worth it. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Dennis, thanks for the case. Folding pegs are necessary because in a spirited ride leaned hitting a solid peg would result in a high side. Folding shifter would be great because I almost crashed on the snake in a turn where I came in hard on brakes, suspension compressed and I hit the shifter mid turn. Went sideways and almost crashed. Scary and made me slowdown a bit....I love the top case. Its ice to stop by the store after the ride is over and grab a 12 pack.....

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Nice write up. I have frame sliders on mine in addition to barkbusters. Each are targeted for different things. The barkbusters are targeted to help in the event of a tipover or low speed crash. The frame sliders are for a high speed crash in hopes of there still being a salvagable bike.

I like the idea of the tank protector. I have mixed thoughts on the fixed passenger pegs. I leave mine down because I use them when on the highway, so that part doesn't bother me. I feel that it would more than likely still break, just at a different point on the passenger set if they are fixed, perhaps even breaking the subframe that comes down to the pegs. I think the best solution would be to make a weak point where the subframe comes together for the pegs, and have it interchangeable. As for the pegs, it would not hurt my feelings in the slightest if a folding set came available for <$1k. The existing folding set is way overpriced.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
That's why I haven't invested on any type of crash bars on this bike. If the damage is bad enough for the crash bars to get involved the bike is toast anyway and insurance will take care of it. I run race railz on my track/race bike and have saved it multiple times but sport bikes benefit more from that king of protection.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The frame sliders are for a high speed crash in hopes of there still being a salvagable bike.
You are going to be disappointed when you learn that frame sliders increase your chance of making the bike not salvagable after a crash UNLESS they are done correctly. Too bad the Multi doesn't have a mountable location where they can be done correctly which is a long bolt through the frame/motor with no threading into the frame or motor. Then the crash bobbins are on both sides.

In any other case you strip engine mounts or bend the frame.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good info!
:)
Thanks for the heads up on this.

Webby

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I've lowsided my 08 GSX-R600 ~30 MPH as well. The frame sliders helped a bit, but I still managed to ding the corner of my tank. My tail was all but obliterated...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I've lowsided my 08 GSX-R600 ~30 MPH as well. The frame sliders helped a bit, but I still managed to ding the corner of my tank. My tail was all but obliterated...
Buy race railz for the gixxer. Lowsided at the track many times with it. Minor scratches. Even flew off a 6 foot cliff going 40+ and even though everything else was sheered off the frame came out good. Still race that bike.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Mr. Sunshine, maybe I am missing something, but from all that you describe, that is exactly the setup I have.
R&G Frame Sliders for Ducati Multistrada 1200 '10-'11, 600SS '99-'07, 750SS "Classic Style" - TwistedThrottle.com
There is a tie bar that replaces an engine mounting bolt. The tie bar doesn't thread into the frame. It threads into itself on the other side. Then the bobbins are bolted on to the tie bar.

Please explain if I am missing something.
Good.....now shorten the crash bobbin by around half in length and it'll be good.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Buy race railz for the gixxer. Lowsided at the track many times with it. Minor scratches. Even flew off a 6 foot cliff going 40+ and even though everything else was sheered off the frame came out good. Still race that bike.
On a street bike...ok. But race railz are stunter bars and have no place on a track.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
On a street bike...ok. But race railz are stunter bars and have no place on a track.
I think you're confusing stunt railz with race railz. They have totally different purposes. I only run them on my track/race bike...

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Unfortunately, the GSXR is long gone.. great bike! I put over 10K in the 2 years I rode her. Made the switch to the 848SF. Picked up a full set of Sato Racing sliders.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts