Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The sensor is in the front of the alternator cover on the left side of the engine. I'd guess there are fins or pins or something on the alternator rotor which cause the magnetic field to vary as they pass the sensor, with an irregularity in pin spacing (double or missing) to reference a zero point on the crankshaft... same as any other hall-effect sensor.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sensor is in the front of the alternator cover on the left side of the engine. I'd guess there are fins or pins or something on the alternator rotor which cause the magnetic field to vary as they pass the sensor, with an irregularity in pin spacing (double or missing) to reference a zero point on the crankshaft... same as any other hall-effect sensor.
Thanks... in the end I took the senor out and looked in the hole... all I could see was a gear... as I turned the engine and the gear turned I could see that there is a cut away portion on the side of the gear that spans two teeth. I had not noticed this before.

This is great news, I have now ordered a simple electronic ignition that plugs straight into the sensor and comes pre- programmed. I can also alter the ignition advance parameters via their software. this is in preparation to fit a pair of carburettors , not sure yet if I will use a throttle potentiometer to link to the new ECU which I understand has this capability.

I fancy the idea of a light bike, simple electronics and simple carburettors.

watch this space!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts