Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if you guys crank the motor during priming or afterwards. My bike seems to only start only if I crank during the fuel pump priming. Bike is a 02 998. Reason I ask is that I have the Shorai battery and someone suggest that I do the "wake up" method which is turn on the power of the bike and let it sit for a few moments to get the battery going. Then start the bike. By that time, the fuel pump has already primed. I guess I can turn off the power and then turn it back on and crank it during the second prime.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I usually crank after the pump has finished priming. If you want to "warm up the battery", which seems a bit odd to me, why don't you turn on the electrics with the key but keep the kill switch off until you want to start it, so you only prime once.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually crank after the pump has finished priming. If you want to "warm up the battery", which seems a bit odd to me, why don't you turn on the electrics with the key but keep the kill switch off until you want to start it, so you only prime once.
I guess I can put the key to parking position. It's funny but my bike wont start always after the prime. But during, it's a surefire start.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
It's funny but my bike wont start always after the prime. But during, it's a surefire start.
Check the fuel lines inside the tank for leaks.

The pump initially pressurizes the system but then the ECU turns it off if the crankshaft isn't turning. The ECU turns the pump back on when the bike starts (crank rotates).

It appears that a leak is depressurizing the system quickly after the pump stops, making it hard to start unless the pump is running.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
did you find the solution?
I have the same problem

first my relay of the pump was bad,
i replaced them and know the bike only starting during priming

·
Registered
96 Posts
FWIW I wait until the fuel pump stops. Just a habit. Don't have a problem lighting the fire.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,253 Posts
9 years ago ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts