Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my NGK DCPR8EIX plugs are cracked thru the ceramic after about 1500 miles and six days at tracks. I'm a bit heavy-handed sometimes, but I've never cracked plugs before. Are there other potential causes? :think:

'92 900SS with Dyna-Tek coils and Magnecor wires.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Unless they were dropped at some point or you used a regular socket and cocked it while tightening there is no reason for them to crack.Any mechanical problem with the engine would have far more obvious symptoms and if vibration cracked them you would be more concerned about finding all your teeth that fell out.Take a look at your sparkplug socket and see if the insulator is still in it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like this theory as it is the least expensive to remedy. My socket does lack the rubber cushion insert, and I was a bit peeved when replacing them the last time they were pulled. As I still have almost all my teeth, I likely cocked the socket. :eek:

Unless they were dropped at some point or you used a regular socket and cocked it while tightening there is no reason for them to crack.Any mechanical problem with the engine would have far more obvious symptoms and if vibration cracked them you would be more concerned about finding all your teeth that fell out.Take a look at your sparkplug socket and see if the insulator is still in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts