Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wiping down my bike today after returning from a ride when I noticed the left side fairing was severely craked at it's lower most mounting point. There is actually a small piece of the plastic missing from the round recessed area where the bolt goes through. I took it off to try and repair it when I found a crack near the other major mounting point. I am the only person who rides the bike and I'm sure I would have known if something had kicked up and struck it. It's almost like someone kicked it or something but I haven't left it anywhere unattended in a really long time. Apparrently the cracks were caused by stress or vibration. I'm pissed. They're cheap plastic but cheap pastic that cost alot of money. I would think they'd have more integrity than that.

Has anybody else had a issue like this?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Not on the SC, but ST bikes have two or three really weak points that will crack over time.

Sorry to hear about your issues.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Epoxy works well. I had a crack and fixed it with epoxy. You can't see the repair and the cracked area is pretty solid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can you post photos, please?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'd use fiberglass, from the inside of the panel to re-inforce the cracks. You might think about taking it to a body shop, where they can sand, apply the fiberglass, and reshoot the area.

I'd do this as a project based on the potential cost to have the cracks repaired. Reason why I'd do this, is because a crack has the potential to grow and grow.

I guess it all depends on how big the cracks are.

BTW, crack kills...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Perfect opportunity to try epoxy. I like JB Weld, quick setting. The repair will likely be stronger than the original part. If it doesn't work (and it will) you're out nothing but a few bucks and very little effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts