Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a '95 CR 900 SS. Would like to play around with my suspension as my street riding can get very bumpy and i feel like my tires don't stay planted in bumpy corners, and on bumpy straights my front end starts to wobble and I have to get very loose on my arms to get it to straighten out.

My forks are nonadjustable, I haven't adjusted the rear suspension yet, but I'm about 145 pounds, 5'8". My friend is going to help me rebuild my forks soon, I'm getting all new seals as I was told dirt gets up inside there as well as the oil...can anybody recommend me if I should go lighter or heavier on the fork oil to get my front end to stop jerking around violently so much?

Going over very bumpy roads sometimes makes my seat jackhammer into my crotch, it hurts unless I stand up on the pegs a bit.

Any advice on what to do to for better suspension in my situation? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Re:

I would have them rebuilt then have them help you to adjust to your weight. Just did mine with Race Tech springs and valves with oil parts came to $325 + $125 labor. When was the last time the oil was changed?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
if your forks have a 17mm hex on top they are showa 41mm and are worth getting revalved and sprung. no adjustment is not an issue. no need to replace seals unless they're leaking.

if they have a 30 (32?)mm hex they're 40mm marzocchi and should be thrown in the bin. you can respring them too, but save your money for some showa as a better starting point.

don't confuse adjustable forks for good forks either, they're just adjustable. can still be crap.

·
Registered
266 Posts
front suspenders

i resprung my forks w/racetech 0.80 springs, with noticable results. a nice improvement (am 5-5, 155lbs). $124, and easily done with the forks in the bike. seals weren't leaking, so i didn't change them. i put tape on the fork caps so my wrench wouldn't mar them during the job.

if you're getting mild "headshake" on the bumpy straights, have your friend check the head bearings for "notchiness". if not notchy, have him lube them and then check/adjust the freeplay.

how many mile on the bike?

it's been proposed here/there that riding bumpy roads w/stock suspension/settings may contribute to head weld cracking. use a 10x power lighted magnifying glass and check for cracks at the head tube welds. you may find what looks just like a fine piece of hair, is a crack. mine is not visible to the naked eye.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bike has a bit over 31,000 miles on it. I bought it almost exactly a year ago when it had 26,000 miles, and it was sitting for a few years before I bought it.

I have no idea when or if the fork oil has ever been changed.

It's less head bump I'm concerned with, I'm very loose on my arms, because if I wasn't I would have high-sided many times. My front wheel will come off the ground over minor/medium bumps and come down crooked and send my front end wobbling. I need my forks to be absorbing bumps rather than launching my wheel off the ground. I could be carrying a lot more corner speed if I wasn't so concerned with suspension/traction.

Can you guys link me to where to buy better springs/valves for when we do the fork rebuild?

My friend is actually a certified Ducati tech, he worked for Cliffs Cycle Revolution in CT before they went out of business a couples years ago. He freelances now and helps me out a lot.

He's only been charging me $40/hour per labor, and is gonna do half price when we rebuild the forks because I'm going to give him a hand rebuilding his (adjustable) monster forks as well.

I want to get it done right while we have it all apart, so where can I get better internal fork parts? Thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
"I'm very loose on my arms"

That's great, that's how you're meant to ride all the time. Stay loose when you get your suspension sorted. You will be quicker and safer.

Can you guys link me to where to buy better springs/valves for when we do the fork rebuild?

I want to get it done right while we have it all apart, so where can I get better internal fork parts?

You need to get in touch with Rick and Joyce at Cogent. They will sort you out. Welcome to Cogent Dynamics

Do a search on this forum for Cogent for more info.
:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts