Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The people over at Cox Racing may or may not like me too much for doing this but I wanted to review the bracket that I just bought from them.

I ordered this bracket about three weeks ago, A couple of things miffed me just a little from the start:
They advertised the kit for sale before they had them in stock so it took three weeks to get,
And shipping was about double what it should have been - Hey, I don't mind paying shipping but I don't think it should be a profit center for them.

On to the review.

I got the kit with two bullet lights and this is a complete kit with all the hardware you need.
The instructions are a little hard to read after the third beer cuzz the type is small and there are no pix.
Who needs instructions right? I mean it's four bolts for chrise-sake.
Wrong - the instructions will save you time and agony, this little project is tricky - the damn thing goes together like a puzzle!

Here's what you get in the kit:

Cox did a good job on the instructions, The first thing they tell you to do is take the signals off the bike and and remove the rubber spacer to fit into the bracket.
The spacer fits into the bracket like a grommet - Are you freakin kiddin me!!! it's real hard plasticky rubber material that doesn't want to be forced anywhere.

I wasn't sure I was going to get these thing into place - I tried soaking them in hot water but that didn't work at all,
then I got some needle nose and started squeezing and forcing and squeezing and forcing when
I started having visions of a pair of needle-nose pliers buried about three inches into my thigh :eek:
OK, mount the part in a vise... I finally got them fitted with a lot cursing and three more beers - I might have resorted to an air chisel - it's all a little unclear.

The only thing the instructions don't go into detail about is the wiring for the bullet lights. The wiring on the bike is a black and yellow wire with a special connector for a large spade.
I just smashed the ends of the bullet lights and connect the red from each light to the yellow on the bike and of course blacks to black.
It's sort of a hokey way to do it but it was positive enough. The connections are now going to be stuffed up inside the bodywork so they have to be insulated -
The Cox kit did not include any shrink tube for this job - it would have been a nice addition to really make the kit complete and the installation clean.

Be sure you get the connections insulated well before you start the assembly

The rest of the instructions are clear and straightforward but the final assembly is tricky. There's very little room up under the undertail panel
for the bulky wiring and connectors and you want to be sure to stay clear of the voltage regulator because I'm sure it gets quite warm.
Holding it all in place with the spacers and bolts and undertail panel all wanting to fall in your lap is is fun - but you'll get it done ;)

All in all I like the kit quite a bit and the finished look is very clean. I like the position of the turn signals that are tucked in close
(note: I did adjust the bend of the turn signal mounts so the signals were horizontal) and the position of the plate tucked back under the tail a bit.
I also like the anodizing rather than powdercoat. If I could critisize anything it would be that the stamping, forming, or cutting looks a little like someone did it by hand
- it's a bit rough in areas but once it's all mounted on the bike none of that is noticable.

Since Cox seems to be unable to post a decent pic for us :rolleyes: in just a moment I'll post some before and after shots of the whole bike so you can see the transformation.

I like the Cox kit and I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a tidy installation but has picky LEOs in their area. The price is good and the kit is complete.

Attachments

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Nice set of pics flyn. I installed my DP tail and the pictures they provided were super low res rephotocopied black and white garbage. I did end up with a nasty bruise on my left inner thigh while trying to insert the 'rubber' signal mount into the bracket. I used a flat head screwdriver instead of needle nosed pliars.

Yer bike is looking quite sweet. Really like your clutch cover! Tasty.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nice write up flyn...

When I was installing the dp kit I had visions of the next days newspaper headling --> "Man stabs himself in the stomache and dies while trying to install tail tidy kit" :eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Put the same set up on my SF and I like it a lot. I did get shirnt tubing with my kit. Would recommend it. Yes the rubber parts are a lot of fun, they should not be done in ones lap:eek:.

·
Bon Vivant
10,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did I say to read the instructions? I might want to take my own advice :eek:

I noticed that the bolts didn't want to snug up - they were kinda mushy so I looked at the instructions again and sure enough I had the washers installed wrong.
They go up inside between the spacers and the plastic body panel.
Now the bolts cinch up correctly and the spacing for the bracket is better making it fit near flush.

A well thought-out kit! :abduct:

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Did I say to read the instructions? I might want to take my own advice :eek:

I noticed that the bolts didn't want to snug up - they were kinda mushy so I looked at the instructions again and sure enough I had the washers installed wrong.
They go up inside between the spacers and the plastic body panel.
Now the bolts cinch up correctly and the spacing for the bracket is better making it fit near flush.

A well thought-out kit! :abduct:

Awesome write up! But I've got to know....WHERE did you get your Clutch Cover from!? It's exactly what I'm looking for!!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Two more:

How do you like that seat compared to the stock one?
I ordered 1 and don't know when I'll get it but I'm wondering if is better at all than the stock. Cheers!

·
Bon Vivant
10,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well laRosa, I hope you're tall - the seat is about an inch and a half taller than stock, it does fix the problem of
sliding into the tank nicely but it's a bit firmer than the stock one.
The material is much nicer than stock and it looks good, I like it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hey, how bright are the bullet lights? Prolly too hard to take a pic, but I'll ask anyhow.

·
Site Sponsor & Senior Member
193 Posts
Thanks for the feed back, great job on the photos

a little more shrink wrap then?

Andrew

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just got finished mounting mine. Overall, not too bad, but it helps to have strong thumbs in order to get the rubber mounting stocks to seat! I would also recommend extra shrink tubing (different diameters), small zip ties and electrical tape as well. To connect the license plate lights, I used the spade lugs supplied with the kit, added a short section of wire to each and wired them in parallel to the stock feed and return using additional spade lugs.

·
Bon Vivant
10,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Andrew my kit did not have any shrink tube aside from what was already on the wiring.
I assumed that was a cover for the plate lights and not for the connections. Certainly not a big deal.

Thanks for a fine kit. ;)

·
Site Sponsor & Senior Member
193 Posts
Hi,
um, we have the wires covered with 1/4 shrink wrap,
then the individual wires/connectors had 3/16 by 2" long shrink wrap
Once the wire were connected, you can pull the lug shrink wrap up and cover
the connectors, was the plan.

Sometimes putting the kits together, the individual wire shrink wrap
would go down inside the 1/4 wrap.
Let me know what you find out,

Sorry for the slow reply.
Thank you for your business.
Andrew

·
Bon Vivant
10,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you can see in this pic that the shrink wrap that is supplied would not fit over the big double OEM connector.
I added a section of large (3/8") shrink wrap to cover the connector and seal both wires to the lights as you can see on the lower connector in the pic.
You can also see that the shrink wrap supplied is just a tad too short to cover the wires all the way to the bullet light.

None of this is really a problem, it all works fine!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts