Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

161 - 180 of 369 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,369 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Sadly, right now the US covid19 growth rate is still accelerating.

·
Super Moderator
5,369 Posts
A timely and useful listen is the latest lesson by Sam Harris on his Waking Up app, "Meditation in an Emergency" recorded on 3/17. Here's a link for a free month of the app. I've been using it for a year and recommending to my patients who are interested in learning to meditate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hearing about the toilet paper shortage got me thinking about my younger days. I user to spend a lot of time at my grandfather's farm and he refused to have a toilet in his house. According to him only animals shit in their own house and his bathroom only had a sink and a tub. When you had to go it was off to the outhouse and you used this for wiping.

·
Premium Member
12,187 Posts
A car with 5 people car pooling got pulled over the driver got handed a $750.oo fine for not social distancing. Maybe a rookie cop?
I went to the Costco and at the checkout we where told to stay behind the line they emptied and loaded my cart. As I was leaving a couple of masked Asians (yeah I know don't hate, but that is the facts ) tried to pass me I cut them off and growled DISTANCE. They backed off. You know some people just need to be told.
Stay safe and do what needs to be done.

·
Super Moderator
5,369 Posts
Yes Scott, and I don't hate you but the fact that they were Asian is irrelevant. Trying to pass you was unthoughtful of them. Wearing masks was thoughtful of them. Were you wearing a mask? They should have growled MASK!
Exiting soapbox.
:)

·
Super Moderator
5,369 Posts
(I'll add that I've been more acutely aware of my implicit bias in stores lately, definitely noticing Asian folks in particular but giving everyone wide berth. So I'm definitely not holier than thou.)

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Just back from grocery shopping. Ive taken a few days off as my immune system is compromised. (Dumb to shop, I know, NOTHING in the house)
Approached by a rather attractive mid 30's woman. "You wanna get the Rona together?" If I thought it wouldnt have killed me.............WTF Still thinkin on it. Strange times fellers.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
(I'll add that I've been more acutely aware of my implicit bias in stores lately, definitely noticing Asian folks in particular but giving everyone wide berth. So I'm definitely not holier than thou.)
So bias is something my wife and I talk about a lot, she's heavily into diversity and inclusion efforts at her job so is very aware of bias. I work in an extremely multicultural company and spent so much time in China last year I had to pay taxes over there. I've noticed the tendency of both the Chinese folks onsite to stereotype Americans AND the Americans to stereotype the Chinese... so I see real bias in both directions.

This PARTICULAR issue however I think is more environmental than structural (and IMO it's a mistake to bin those together). Human brains are programmed to do what people are doing: We've learned that the virus came from China, and the virus is very dangerous, and Chinese folks are a group that our brains easily identify (actually not true but most Americans think they know what a Chinese person looks like... generically Asian... LOL... but I digress), SO our brains will AUTOMAGICALLY pick out Chinese folks and label them 'maybe dangerous'... we can't NOT do that.

What we CAN do is recognize that reaction and actively act to mitigate the impact of that... which is what you're doing and what I try to do. Especially in light of the fact that China is no longer the vector for infection - Americans are the vector (but of course they can't be easily discriminated by our brains).

My wife wouldn't cut people any slack for the way their brains work (and would not see a difference between bias based on why it's there... bias is bias to her)... I tend to be a bit more forgiving since I know most people don't really think about this like we do, and so they're really just letting their brain do it's thing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I tested positive late last week. Actually 90% recovered now (Friday was a low point in terms of breathing). Happy to answer any questions. I understand the anxiety associated with it.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,346 Posts
Good to hear you’re ok. Ever had the regular old flu? How did it compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
What we CAN do is recognize that reaction and actively act to mitigate the impact of that...
So when I recoil and avoid bars or restaurants with a parking lot full of HD lowriders with ape hangers this is actually discrimination bias and a moral failing on my part?

I also tent to avoid groups of yoots with high riding t-shirts and flip flops on Busa's. Lots of personal improvement in my future I suppose.

My wife wouldn't cut people any slack for the way their brains work (and would not see a difference between bias based on why it's there... bias is bias to her)... I
My guess is her brain works just like everyone else's it's just that she's trained herself on 'good bias' and 'bad bias'. The problem is that her programming may not be the same as everyone else's. This is the major problem with 'not cutting slack' for variances in perspective.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
So when I recoil and avoid bars or restaurants with a parking lot full of HD lowriders with ape hangers this is actually discrimination bias and a moral failing on my part?

I also tent to avoid groups of yoots with high riding t-shirts and flip flops on Busa's. Lots of personal improvement in my future I suppose.
It's the same process... and yes you're discriminating based on a stereotype. If you're doing it because you likely don't have much in common with the HD riders then IMO that's just trying to optimize your time. If you do it because you assume there's something WRONG with HD riders then... yea that's a bias based on a stereotype instead of data. I rode to KY and back on my Multi with a coworker on a H-D with ape hangers who whipped off his helmet the second he got into PA and was 100% on point wrt the stereotypes of H-D riders... and you know what... he was a good guy.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
multipost

161 - 180 of 369 Posts