Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For storage, whats a good cover? I'm on the street. I like the Classic cover (http://store.proitalia.com/96748006b.html), but worry about attracting attention. I will garage about half the time, but no choice but to park on street sometimes. very foggy where I am. Recommendations?

Tenders: what works? What recharges as well as maintains charge? Whats the point?

Thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have the Optimate 3 battery charger from kneedraggers (but it really looks like the optimate 4 found in below link... not sure why there's a discrepency though)
Anyway, I haven't used it yet, but plan on doing so during the winter season, and got it because of the good reviews.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Motion_Pro_Optimate_III_Battery_Charger--616787.html

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-battery-charger/optimate-3/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-battery-charger/optimate-4/

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Nice. 6 stepped. Though it looks like the 1000 has an external plug on the side of the seat that does not require you to open the battery and use clamps? Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Nice. 6 stepped. Though it looks like the 1000 has an external plug on the side of the seat that does not require you to open the battery and use clamps? Am I missing something?
A plug is not standard on a Ducati but often dealerships or individuals will add them. Trace the wires. If they go to the battery terminals then you are all set.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
If you are talking about a charging plug, that didn't actually come from Ducati but a lot of dealers added that when they set-up the bike. They did it for mine. Getting to the battery isn't the easiest thing so it was a much appreciated little addition.:think:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't had it on a tender since Ive owned it (for two weeks), but previous owner did. Whats the point really? Doesn't riding it charge it up? Just healthier for the battery somehow?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Haven't had it on a tender since Ive owned it (for two weeks), but previous owner did. Whats the point really? Doesn't riding it charge it up? Just healthier for the battery somehow?
The point, Mr. I-live-in-San-Francisco-and-I-can-ride-all-year ;), is that some of us have to put our bikes up for the winter, and they may not be ridden for months. Lead-acid batteries do not like to be treated that way. So, for us, using a Battery Tender or similar device can make our batteries last a couple years longer.

If you end up riding year-round, then they really serve you no purpose.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The point, Mr. I-live-in-San-Francisco-and-I-can-ride-all-year ;), is that some of us have to put our bikes up for the winter, and they may not be ridden for months. Lead-acid batteries do not like to be treated that way. So, for us, using a Battery Tender or similar device can make our batteries last a couple years longer.

If you end up riding year-round, then they really serve you no purpose.
yea ,what he said.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have the Ducati Sportclassic cover as mentioned by the OP. It stretches to fit beautifully and looks really great, but it is very light. It's not weather proof and I don't believe that it would be durable enough for outdoor use. It has no grommets for a cable lock, either.

As far as a battery tender goes, I find the Schumacher SEM-1562A to be just about ideal. It's a UL approved, fully automatic battery charger and "maintainer" with float mode monitoring. I got it at Autozone for less than $30. It comes with a pigtail that is just perfect for mounting to the GT's battery terminals. I let the pigtail hang down in front of the battery case, where I can easily reach it to plug it in. The charger is selectable for either 6 or 12 volts, perfect as I also have a WWII jeep with a 6 volt system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts