Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to my ST3, but not new to Ducatis. I still have the first one I bought in 1974.

I have 2 questions.

What do you folks put on the brake rotor & rivets to stop the surface rust. I seem to be riding in the rain a lot, and see rust on the inner diameter of the rotor near the rivets.

And on the hard bags should there be a rubber seal all the way round inside the groove. The lid has a lip that fits into the groove, but I think the parts book shows a seal (as part of the belts kit). If there is one, any idea where to find? I can't find one. Some stores have the belt kit listed, but can't get them.

thanks

David

·
Registered
887 Posts
What do you folks put on the brake rotor & rivets to stop the surface rust. I seem to be riding in the rain a lot, and see rust on the inner diameter of the rotor near the rivets.

And on the hard bags should there be a rubber seal all the way round inside the groove. The lid has a lip that fits into the groove, but I think the parts book shows a seal (as part of the belts kit). If there is one, any idea where to find? I can't find one. Some stores have the belt kit listed, but can't get them.
Does your bike have aftermarket rotors? I've never had a problem with rust on the stock rotors. Maybe Ducati changed suppliers? I would be very reluctant to put anything on there that could contaminate the rotors. Do you park your bike inside? You might try putting a fan on the bike after a wet ride.

As for the seals, my panniers have seals on the inboard grooves. I can't imagine someone removing those for any reason. Are you sure they are not in there? Sometimes water pools in the handle area at the top of each pannier, If you don't wipe this up before opening the pannier you can get a tablespoon or two of water inside as it's opened.

If the seals are missing you could probably get a pair from someone parting out some crashed panniers. Otherwise it looks like you could probably use some round foam beading that comes in various diameters at hardware stores. Buy a foot of each to see what diameter works best.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your bike have aftermarket rotors? I've never had a problem with rust on the stock rotors. Maybe Ducati changed suppliers? I would be very reluctant to put anything on there that could contaminate the rotors. Do you park your bike inside? You might try putting a fan on the bike after a wet ride.

As for the seals, my panniers have seals on the inboard grooves. I can't imagine someone removing those for any reason. Are you sure they are not in there? Sometimes water pools in the handle area at the top of each pannier, If you don't wipe this up before opening the pannier you can get a tablespoon or two of water inside as it's opened.

If the seals are missing you could probably get a pair from someone parting out some crashed panniers. Otherwise it looks like you could probably use some round foam beading that comes in various diameters at hardware stores. Buy a foot of each to see what diameter works best.
Thanks.
As far as I know the rotors are original. Only 25000 mile on it. I have no option but to park outside. I'll put a good chrome cleaner on the rivets. The rust isn't on the braking face, only the inner edge. The outer edge is fine.

Ah yes I see the seal, but it looks perished on one side. Perhaps the canadian cold is too much. I'll bring them inside for the winter.

David

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I second the notion that the discs are aftermarket.

Ducati only put stainless rotors on the ST series AFAIK. That and aluminum carriers. Maybe the buttons are steel and are rusting.

If you do need to get new rotors, skip the stock or goldline Brembos and get some Braketech Cobra or EBC discs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts