Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 monster 696
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a "run & drive" 2010 M696 with 5 K miles through an on line auction. Upon delivery the transporter informed me the battery was low & could not turn the bike over. Charged the battery, but although the dash panel lites up & I'm getting fuel pump engagement...the starter motor does not engage. I've noticed the nuetral lite does not lite up on the dash.
Checked the voltage on the starter relay...there is no voltage drop during start up. I will test the starter motor separately.
The owner's manual states the bike can be started with the kick stand down, but put it in nuetral, engaged the clutch & put the kick stand in the up position & still no cranking.
My question is: will a loose connection to the nuetral safety sensor be the source of my problems?
Thanks for any & all help!

·
Registered
1999 996 Biposto, 2002 Monster 620 Dark
727 Posts
That could be the issue but if it still wont turn over with clutch in and kick stand up then that likely isnt the only problem. I would start by confirming if its trying to, check the pinout for the relay and look for 12v at the trigger leg when the starter button is depressed. If it fires then check for 12v on the output leg of the relay. If no voltage at the trigger something is preventing it from trying to start. If it is but no 12v at the output leg then the relay is likely bad.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Load test the battery first, not uncommon to see 12v with the ignition on but it drops significantly because of a bad cell, or two.
If that tests ok start checking connections, main leads first, both positive to the solenoid and starter and the earth side.

If they're ok look further, like relays etc but i'm betting it's just a bad battery

·
Administrator
13,936 Posts
Moving this to the Monster section for more eyes.

Reactions: chris_f

·
Registered
2010 monster 696
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both my 1098 and 1198 act the same way when the battery gets low. The ignition will turn on, fuel pump will prime, dash lights up etc. but no crank.
I appreciate the fore shadowing of your moniker. It appears that I should also adopt the more miserable or just plain stupid! One of the tests I performed was trying to bridge the starter motor using a newly purchased battery reading 12.9V. That produced only a spark when making the positive connection. There was no click, clack or other sound which would indicate the starter attempting to engage. I made at least 3 attempts with key on, pressing the starter switch & with key off. None of these should have made a difference..., but nothing gave me a different result.
There is the DucShop owned by Mark Sutton & a Ducati dealer relatively close. And, because I apparently lack the ability to resolve this baffling problems involving electrical gremlins, I acquiesce to admit defeat and give it to the professionals.
However, I very much appreciate the time & effort to respond & offer advice.

·
Administrator
13,936 Posts
Please give us an update on what they find, always nice to have more knowledge for reference.

Reactions: chris_f

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just replaced a battery on my 796 that read 12v but only load tested at 130 amp when the spec is 210. Likely a bad cell or some such. That could be the case for you, but that neutral switch seems like the prime suspect if the starter doesn't even attempt to turn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts