Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group:

I have available to me a pristine 9xx mile ST2, ( at a very thrifty price) which IMHO isn't at all a desirable Ducati.
Nevertheless, it is a like-new example of the first ever Ducati touring bike
So the question is, does a bike like this deserve to put up for 10~15 years and (forgetting appreciation) would it ever an interesting collectable piece?

Your expect opinions please

Bruce Robinson

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sorry, but if you don't find it "at all desirable", why don't you leave it for someone who can appreciate it.
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I doubt it. Collector bikes (items in general) tend to be some interesting combination of groundbreaking and rare. I'm not sure the ST was ever that, plus it was something of a sales dud from what I understand. Doesn't make it not a great bike. That's not the same as a collector item though.

·
Mr Leakered
8,834 Posts
The Paso before the ST could be considered the first. But then, what was the Appollo or the Indiana, which now has a small following?

OTOH, a sales dud implies an expectation. Looking at the production numbers, there were a comparable amount of STs produced in comparison to the other models of the day.

In the end, they're all machines. Just use them. It looks like you found a great example to break in. What is the delayed satisfaction of letting the bike sit for 15yrs and maybe making some money versus the joy of just riding it?

Have a good one.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
The key to collectibility is: was the thing sought after in its period and, did anything fail to come after it that was more sought after. The other case is if the item is an icon of its era, e.g. Ferrari Testarossa, or the Edsel.

If either the first or second are true, you have the possibility of being a collectible. If both are true, your chances are pretty good that it will become one.

Once you establish if the thing could be collectible, then you need to factor in rarity and condition as well as optioning and current demand.

Of any of the ST's, I might be able to see the 03-05 ST4s ABS and the 07 ST3s (last model) being the most desirable. But, that could change if ABS units fail at some point in the future and no replacements are available. Whether they ever achieve collectible status remains to be seen.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
all bikes are collectable. especially a sweet ducati of any model. just collect it and ride it! no bike should be hidden away. ride it don't hide it

it probably will not be worth any more than if you just took the money and put it into a savings account. ever try to ride your savings account?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
This is true. Even the Testarossa I mentioned, kept its price at current inflation, and didn't lose money, but it is dwarfed by any account with compound interest.

Only the rarest ones, like the Ferrari 250 GT California appreciate to super-star prices.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I guess if you keep it for 50 years it would became collectible, specially if it's in good condition (it will meet that essential condition: rare).
P.S. : I'd love a 900 mile ST2!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Anything can become collectible given enough time passes. With that said it doesn't mean it will be desired even after that time. I've seen some pristine low low mileage 1995 916's as of late that can't seem to fetch $6-$7K right now and the first year model 916 has a chance of getting that collectible/desirable status much more then an ST2. My suggestion is if you are looking to make money buy it for the sweet deal that you apparently have found and then flip it for whatever it can get above what you paid and then invest that money into a 20 year bond, it will make you more money then storing a bike such as the ST2 anyway + then someone who really wants it to ride can use it too........:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I wouldn't be doing this for financial gain and my medical condition does't allow me to ride anymore.

I'd being doing it to eventually donate it to some museum (Barber or Bologna?)where folks would be able to see the first Ducati sport tourer as a part of a larger collection of M/C's

And while the ST2 isn't my cup-of-tea, it would/could illustrate a depature from Ducati as racer/sportbike in the overall history of M/C'ing

Whadda Think?

Bruce Robinson

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
I've got a friend who has museum pieces as his daily rides (Brough Superior SS90, SS100, Vincent Black Shadow, and more). I don't thing my ST2, SS1000DS, or first year 999R will ever be in that company.

Tom

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed

How about other examples: Tesi 1d sr/750ss round case/mh900e/mv 750/RG500 gamma/krauser mkm 4valve or even a suzuki rotary

Are any of these worth keeping?

·
7,733 Posts
I wouldn't be doing this for financial gain and my medical condition does't allow me to ride anymore.

I'd being doing it to eventually donate it to some museum (Barber or Bologna?)where folks would be able to see the first Ducati sport tourer as a part of a larger collection of M/C's

And while the ST2 isn't my cup-of-tea, it would/could illustrate a depature from Ducati as racer/sportbike in the overall history of M/C'ing

Whadda Think?

Bruce Robinson

Given you are not wanting to buy it for appreciation, then go ahead and buy it. I'm sure whom ever you donate the bike to will treasure it as a "fine example" of an old bike, regardless of it's "collectability" status within Ducati's model catalogue. Every bike can be, or rather should be special to somebody. Some will be more special than others. I appreciate anybody who treats his bike like it's a collectible. It's better that you buy and love that ST2 than it ending up in a scrapyard one day well before its time after being purchased by some twat. And, it may surprise you re resale value if at some future point that becomes an issue. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
What about the 916 as a collectible?
Or the Desmosedici? Given the price tag of that beauty, is certainly a milestone!

·
Registered
269 Posts
MH900 had limited production #s, so that's a far better bet on being considered "collectible." I personally think the Gammas are cool bikes, and they are fairly rare these days, much more so than the ST series.

If you are looking to preserve a bike, look through some images of the history of motorcycling and find one that really trips your trigger and go find a clean example of that. I fail to see the logic (unless you are looking for some major kharma) of holding onto a bike properly (you should have some work done on it getting it ready for long-term storage, or be prepared to start it up fairly often to keep stuff fresh) for 10-20yrs if you don't like it much.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
No. Never. Next question please. :think:

·
Registered
269 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts