Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the bike standing straight up (probably need someone else to help with this), could i get somebody to meaure the lowest point on the bike to the ground?

i went ahead bought the 01 yellow 996 mono with 1500 miles. i already had the local duc dealer check it out. got two thumbs up.

however, it's up in DC. i'm going to bring it back on the auto train and they have a minimum height requirement to get it on there. guess there is some sort of clearance issue. they do require that you help load and secure it, which is fine with me :D i'll bring some canyon dancers and tie downs. don't know if they have chocks or not.

anyway, if someone would be so kind and let me know that measurement i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vtwin said:
a pic is worth a thousand words:
wow, who's better than you? thanks.

here's the info from amtrack:

Motorcycles can now be carried on Auto Train®. Only factory-standard, two-wheel motorcycles can be accepted. All motorcycles must have at least 5 inches clearance between the lowest portion of the frame and the bottom of the tires. Motorcycles with windshields cannot exceed 57.5 inches in height. Motorcycles with sidecars are not permitted. Passengers must assist with securing and removing their motorcycles.

looks like i'm in business and it should fit. got some canyon dancers and tie downs in the garage that i'll stick in my bag just in case. i'm quite sure their tie down system will be a little more crude.

i'm gonna look like a nut bringing my motorcycle helmet as a carry on, on the plane ride up there.

anybody have any other recommedations for transport to make sure it makes it there in one piece? amtrak didn't have any pics, but they have a rack that holds 12 bikes. it is loaded off the train, and then when full, they put the whole rack on the train. must be a chock system i'm guessing, which wold be preferable.

i'll probably bring a big roll of painter's tape too, just in case i see any rub areas. let me know if there is anything else you guys think of.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oneducs said:
does this mean it's the seven11 at 8 then off to brookville this sunday?
nope, me and the bike will be on the choo choo train monday afternoon and won't get to sanford FL till tues morning. however, next weekend. me, you, brooksville... it's on! that's if you have your bike out of the shop by then :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if this auto train thing works out, this would be a great option for anyone buying a bike from a long distance. the fares are cheap. $226 to bring me and the bike from DC to Orlando, FL. includes meals, etc....

considering i was going to pay $600 to have the bike shipped. bargain :D

let's see if it makes it back in one piece....

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it actually be a week from this sunday. i'll be up in DC next weekend visiting my wife/picking up my new bike :D

however, the weekend after that...let's do it. got to get out there and start scrubbing those chicken strips off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I try to go as much as I can,so unless I have something that comes up I should be there. Its not the best of rides but I guess its better than snow :D . Thats why in the first week of May I am headed to the mountains for some real riding. :)

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
deputydog95 said:
nope, me and the bike will be on the choo choo train monday afternoon and won't get to sanford FL till tues morning. however, next weekend. me, you, brooksville... it's on! that's if you have your bike out of the shop by then :D
well it's good to hear you got a bike and next sunday we'll get out up to brooksville. i should be up getting the bike back saturday, so sunday i'll be out riding and monday maybe a trackday.

if you need anything or need some help with the bike just let me know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts