Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

COTA MotoGP recommendation/help request

928 Views 24 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  CrimsonCloak
Hey all, hoping a few of you would be able to chime in to help answer a few questions.

I am taking my 7 year old son to COTA this year for the MotoGP race and want to really get the best experience I can with him and make it as comfortable as possible. I looked into the VIP suite options but since I dont drink and he's 7, I think I'd mostly be paying for alcohol I wont consume.

The 2 options I've narrowed down to are the club seats because I think you get access to the Velocity Lounge (would love confirmation) for easy access to drinks and food near the seats, or Ducati Island. I wont be taking any of my bikes as we are flying in, but have been told by many I should still do this regardless. But would a 7 year old get much from it and are their good/club type seats that come with this?

Any and all help this group can provide would be amazing, and thanks in advance!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
4,114 Posts
My preference is the General Admission tickets and siting on the hill at turn 10. The stands aren't very good, especially on the starting line. For the other stands, there is no shade.

The stands at 12 through 15 are ok, but you will cook without shade. Turn 10 is cooler since you are on the grass.

· Premium Member
1,990 Posts

· Registered
1,416 Posts
The internet says:

The average temperature in Austin in April for a typical day ranges from a high of 83°F (28°C) to a low of 58°F (14°C). Some would describe it as mildly cool and breezy. For comparison, the hottest month in Austin, August, has days with highs of 100°F (38°C) and lows of 76°F (24°C).

so it MUST be true...
At least I can personally confirm the 100F August numbers. You do NOT want to be in the sun there that time of year.

Reactions: riknull and L1MTD

· Registered
607 Posts
What's the weather generally like in Austin in April?
Usually pretty pleasant, it least by Texas standards. Used to race at Texas World every year that time of year, mostly good, weather-wise. Was at Cota in 2013, had tickets in the turn 15 grandstands, if I go back I'd do that again.

· Registered
1,019 Posts
I've been going since 2016. Turn 15 grandstands as close to turn 16 and as high up and in the corner of the grandstands as you can get. You can see turn 1 through 9 at a distance if you are high enough and then see them exit 11 and run down and through 16. Turn 12 at the end of the back straight is the major passing zone. Turn 12 grandstands are also good but farther away from all the concessions and the infield manufacturer tents. The people who sit in the hospitality suites watch the races on the closed circuit broadcast, because you only get a good view of the front straight from the suites. Anything in the main grandstands suck. General admission is a good deal, because there are many other decent places to sit and the tickets are relatively cheap.

While in town, it is usually worth it to make it to the AF1 open house and Austin Ducati open houses as both often have the team riders for autograph sessions. Lastly but probably most importantly get downtown for The Handbuilt Show. I've got my fingers crossed that a bike I submitted will be accepted.

Weather is generally good, but I've been there when the winds were so strong and the sandy soil blown around so much they had to delay practice. I've also been there when the shut the track down because of torrential rains. The issue is the track is in the middle of a relatively flat area and when strong weather comes through there is nowhere to hide.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks @ray916mn, one of the things I’m trying to balance is a 7 yo that I want to enjoy this as much as possible and wants to keep making this an annual thing.

So while views are important to me, I’m also wanting him to have access to “treats” and conveniences so he leaves thinking “let’s do that again!”.

Dad life

Reactions: redpato

· Registered
1,019 Posts
Thanks @ray916mn, one of the things I’m trying to balance is a 7 yo that I want to enjoy this as much as possible and wants to keep making this an annual thing.

So while views are important to me, I’m also wanting him to have access to “treats” and conveniences so he leaves thinking “let’s do that again!”.

Dad life
Gotcha. Turn 15 grandstands are the most centrally located grandstands in the track. They are closest to the main gate. The food concessions are right behind the stands, the vendor area in between the main gate and stands and the bridge to the manufacturer area is at the turn 16 end of the stands. They are a bit far from the Ducati Island area because the Ducati Island area is in the parking lot outside of the main grandstands.

· Registered
4,114 Posts
April in Texas. Warm, or maybe hot, but not summer bad. The advantage of a GA ticket is walking around and your sitting "area." You have a 7 year old. I have three younger boys, and the difference for them sitting in one spot for a while to watch a race as opposed to a grassy area of choice that they can foodle around makes my experience more enjoyable.

Even if I had one, it would be the same tickets. walking between the turns and seeing them come down turn 1 hill is fun for all.

· way huge member
28,557 Posts
It was hot as hell (maybe hotter) at COTA for the October MotoGP COVID Make-Up race. Damn...this Northeasterner had to sit in the shade for Moto3 and most of Moto2. I was not feeling well at all. We had Turn 15 Grandstand seats but I'd like to do GA next time.

· Premium Member
107 Posts
Always hot, dress appropriately, bring an umbrella or two, and make sure your child is fitted with PROPER EAR PROTECTION.
My 6 year old son were there all weekend and had a great time.
Section 2 Turn 15
Cloud Sky Daytime World Tower
Sky Cloud Race track Smile Racing

See ya in April!

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

· Registered
1969 Ducati 450 Mark 3 Desmo
34 Posts
Never been to Cota but been to car and bike races (Spa Francorchamps, Dutch TT) with my son while he was young (I guess I started when he was around four year olds).

I can confirm that the option to freely move around is key. Once they get bored, take a walk, buy a drink, take a look at some merchandise and they have the time of their lives.

When he was older I went to some f1 races with some fixed grandstand tickets but I think they need to be 'hooked' already before they will really enjoy that.

Good luck, important to teach them the important things in life!! :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
199 Posts
If you can afford it, buy the hospitality suite tickets. Food, snacks, drinks all day. Pit walk. Access to all/most places on the track. The luxury is to walk out to any turn you want. The walk is long, but you can grab drinks before you go, comeback to lunch, or not. Bring backpacks. There was a mini bike course layout Honda had, so your son can jump on a bike and have a few laps...if they show up doing their same act. Shop for t-shirts, hats, and demo rides. Go cart track when you come into the track.

Weather as stated. Rains there more than you think. The year I went MotoAmerica ran in the rain, gp did not. Handbuilt show is a must if you are into show bikes. It's more half art, half restored or the latest trend, where they all look alike with that scheme.

· Registered
1,856 Posts
@L1MTD I used to live in the Austin area. If you have time, I would suggest also checking out what Austin and its surrounding hill country has to offer. If you need some recommendations on things to see and do let me know.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@L1MTD I used to live in the Austin area. If you have time, I would suggest also checking out what Austin and its surrounding hill country has to offer. If you need some recommendations on things to see and do let me know.
Thanks brother, will do. I think we will be at the pool at the hotel most of the time not at the track……that’s all he usually wants to do on vacation, haha.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts