Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may have seen in my other thread a little ways down, I just picked up a 2001 Monster 750 last weekend which hasn't been ridden much in the last two years. The valves were adjusted about 3,000 miles ago and 4 years ago at which point it appears the belts were done as well. I’m concerned more about the time on the belts rather than the wear, so I’m going to take it to a shop to have a good once over. It currently has 19k on the odo btw.

They’re going to replace the fluids all around and I think I may have them also do the belts for safety sake. What is the going rate for this service? It seems pretty straightforward, and they’re guessing the belts only will be between $160 and $240, and the fluid changes and general look over will run another $150. Does this sound reasonable for a very reputable shop ("Irish" Mike Hughes) to do the work? I’m considering doing all the fluids myself to save some money, but it would be nice to have a pro look over everything because the bike may have been neglected prior to my ownership. I also work about 60 hours per week and am doing grad school courses, so my spare time on the weekends is something of a precious commodity. I’d like to save the garage time for modding it and restoring it (needs paint work and I’d like to do clip ons and a few other bits). Thanks for any input!

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you know how to turn wrenches, all of the stuff you mentioned is really easy. As for "all of the fluids" you're just talking about oil and brake/clutch fluid on a 2 valver. filter $15, oil $35-45, brake fluid $10. Changing the oil and filter and bleeding the brakes/clutch are very very easy to do.

As for the belts, you can buy a set for about $100 online all day (Desmotimes, CA Cycleworks, etc) and install them yourself. It requires only a little bit more know-how than the stuff mentioned above. There are tons of great "how to" guides out there. I've always used the 5mm allen wrench slid between the belt and roller method of tensioning the belts on my 2 valver. Just mark the belts and pulleys and make sure you get everything back in the same position when you button it back up.

Save some dough for when the valves need adjusting, or for some mods.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you know how to turn wrenches, all of the stuff you mentioned is really easy. As for "all of the fluids" you're just talking about oil and brake/clutch fluid on a 2 valver. filter $15, oil $35-45, brake fluid $10. Changing the oil and filter and bleeding the brakes/clutch are very very easy to do.

As for the belts, you can buy a set for about $100 online all day (Desmotimes, CA Cycleworks, etc) and install them yourself. It requires only a little bit more know-how than the stuff mentioned above. There are tons of great "how to" guides out there. I've always used the 5mm allen wrench slid between the belt and roller method of tensioning the belts on my 2 valver. Just mark the belts and pulleys and make sure you get everything back in the same position when you button it back up.

Save some dough for when the valves need adjusting, or for some mods.
Points well taken. The more I read about the process the more I feel capable of doing it since I've done more technical things on cars in the past like timing belts on Audis.

I think more than anything though I just want a true pro who knows these things inside and out to have a good look over the bike to tell me what he thinks over all. I know next to nothing about this bike's history and being new to Ducatis I want to get it baselined so I feel confident taking it out and really riding it. I don't want to have a big failure or a safety risk to save a couple hundred bucks up front, but I agree the long term maintenance I definitely want to tackle myself.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Do it yourself. If you get stuck you can always ask here and people are always more than willing to help. It took me about 45 minutes to do it myself.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Just a thought. How much time is it going to be to take your bike to the shop? Then, either wait for it or go back home, then back to the shop, then back home? All the while, paying through the nose (or grabbing ankles?) for the privilege.

If you planning on doing mods yourself, it might be a good idea to get familiar with the maint. Besides, you'll be able to chalk it all up to relaxation. Well, except for the five or so seconds just before and while you hit the start button.

Just keep repeating to yourself: there is no ducati voodoo. =) Due to the shorter maint intervals, they are made to come apart and go back together easier.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah... just do the work yourself. Get some new brake pads while you're at it. Maybe a new chain. Some new spark plugs. Air filter. The 2 valve engines are pretty venerable.

Paying for a "once over" might be an okay idea before you buy, but now it would just be a waste of money.

Save your duckets. If something ever goes wrong, you can always look here to find the solution. If not you can then take it to Irish Mike and put his expertise to the real test.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this is all good advice guys I appreciate it! I guess I will give it a go on my own and if I totally screw up I'll defer to your expertise then worst case scenario bring it down to the shop. It seems the money saved and the time getting to know the bike will be well spent, so I'll start ordering the parts now! I already ordered some new rizoma bars, mirrors, levers and a 14T sprocket, so I'll add the mainenance items to that list. I can tell this a good list I'm looking forward to participating here.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Good choice. ;)

You'll need a torque wrench, if you don't have one. The $20 one at Harbor Freight will do nicely. You'll also need a good oil filter wrench to grab the tiny bit that shows. This one or the same item at Harbor Freight:
Desmo Times Product 61 - Oil Filter Wrench

Read up about setting belts at the Hall of Wisdom:
Hall of Wisdom - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

The 5mm key or harmonic method are both nearly free. Or watch the CA Cycleworks videos on youtube. You laugh at how easy it is. Turn the motor without the spark plugs and check the alignment before you think about hitting the starter.

The desmotimes.com 2v manual will explain it all in good detail.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in Phoenix. Bought a 2007 S2R1000 in Detroit that had 1300 miles in 08 and 1800 miles now. Hasn't been ridden since last summer. Picking in it up next week to ride 2000 miles back home. I'll have the oil changed and the battery is new. However, The dealer says the timing belts have to be changed every two years if there is not enough miles on the bike. This puppy was built in October of 07.

If the bike has been garaged, do you guys really think the belts would deteriorate to the point of needing to be replaced now?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I live in Phoenix... This puppy was built in October of 07.

If the bike has been garaged, do you guys really think the belts would deteriorate to the point of needing to be replaced now?
Yes. In many cases storage actually deteriorates belts faster than light usage over the same period of time.

·
Old Fast Guy
488 Posts
If the belts don't give any problems, you have saved a couple hundred. If they do give you trouble, it costs you a couple grand. You choose.

Do ya feel lucky? Well, do ya? LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the belts don't give any problems, you have saved a couple hundred. If they do give you trouble, it costs you a couple grand. You choose.

Do ya feel lucky? Well, do ya? LOL
Indeed that is what I thought but had to make sure. Thanks to Top_Duc and rule62 for their quick responses.

Shawn

·
Registered
95 Posts
Shawn,
What part of Phoenix do you live in. We've got a great Ducati group here. We wrench on them pretty frequently too. Replacing those belts really isn't that difficult. I'll be a little hard to reach for the next month. I'm getting married on 06/03/12. After that, we can get it done for cheap $$$, if you haven't taken it to a shop by then.
Ryan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shawn,
What part of Phoenix do you live in. We've got a great Ducati group here. We wrench on them pretty frequently too. Replacing those belts really isn't that difficult. I'll be a little hard to reach for the next month. I'm getting married on 06/03/12. After that, we can get it done for cheap $$$, if you haven't taken it to a shop by then.
Ryan
Ryan:

First, congrats and good luck getting hitched! I live in central Phoenix.

Second, I am a newbie to biking but not to taking stuff apart and putting them back together ( I have a great machine shop at home). BUT, this is an adventure that doesn't lend itself to me working on the bike. I am flying to Detroit, picking up an 07 S2R 1000 next Thursday and riding the back country home. The bike had 1300 miles in 2008 and only 1812 today (check it out ebay item # 190672298355). I'll have just bare essentials in a 30 litre Kreiga R30 on my back and very few tools.

Hence the appointment to get the oil changed and the belts replaced at the Kalamazoo Ducati dealer a couple of hours after I start the ride and anything else I find needs attention before hitting the prairie.

Third, My girlfriend and I just got into biking when I picked up an 09 Monster 696 and a 08 S2R 1000 as surprise valentine's day gifts. The black 08 S2R is for her and the 696 was used for us to learn and get our permits on. So the 696 is going on Craig's list when I get back.

The 08 has 4,000 miles now and requires the belt replacement as well. Maybe when you are done with your honeymoon we can do a ride and plan a service day:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts