Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dealer recommended a new front tire. I said OK. He had the bike in his shop for other work. I got the bill today. He charged me $200 for the Scorpion Trail 2 tire and mounting. Decent price, right?

·
Registered
448 Posts
My dealer recommended a new front tire. I said OK. He had the bike in his shop for other work. I got the bill today. He charged me $200 for the Scorpion Trail 2 tire and mounting. Was I ripped off? Sure feels like it.
Sounds about right to me. The tire's $155 at Revzilla, maybe $25 to mount, dunno your sales tax but with mine that would be $195 total. If your dealer is selling tires at the same price as online that's a great deal to my mind.

·
Registered
503 Posts
We charge $50 per to mount and balance on the bike, $25 off the bike. $5 more if they have tubes.

·
Registered
869 Posts
With a few bikes, those tire changes add up quick. I've been changing my sport bike tires for the past 20 years, 16 with a Coats 220 manual changer and the last 4 years with one of these..Cost about $1100 delivered

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
If you don't have the space or $ for a machine, you can always use spoons. It really isn't bad at all once you learn how. Otherwise, expect to pay prices along the lines of what Wolverine mentioned. For me, it was well worth learning how to change a tire based on the time spent. I can change a tire quicker than I can drive across town to a shop and back- much less than doing so twice and being without the bike for a day.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just paid $480 for a new set of Michellin's Pilot Road 4's. That included removal and disposal of old tires and install and balance for the new.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Pretty much the same $480 for PR4's last week. My Ducati dealer would have charged me over $600 as they want $90 to mount each tire so $180 total. They don't sell me any tires.

·
Registered
134 Posts
With a few bikes, those tire changes add up quick. I've been changing my sport bike tires for the past 20 years, 16 with a Coats 220 manual changer and the last 4 years with one of these..Cost about $1100 delivered

Do you still do a static balance or did you spring for a dynamic balancer?

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Most shops around me charge $40-$60 for tire change (off the bike), which IMO is absurd. I did find one shop (Arkport Cycle) who only charge ~$35... but I ended up buying a tire machine with my brother and cousin... $220 each which will pay for itself in less than 2 years.

Both my cousin and I both needed new rear tires while on the road recently, and in both cases it cost about $300 (tire $20 over online cost plus installation).

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Pretty much the same $480 for PR4's last week. My Ducati dealer would have charged me over $600 as they want $90 to mount each tire so $180 total. They don't sell me any tires.
$90 to mount a tire... 20 minutes work... holy crap... :surprise: and I thought the shops around me were bad.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I have a small independent shop I've used for over 23 years , he just mounted two Kenda dual sports for my Vespa 198.25 with tire's .

Disclaimer, For what i charge in my business Im not going to complain about 50 bucks to wrestle with a tire for my hobby . Im sure those who would complain about price also cry about how careful they need to be with the rim during the change !Don't be a TROLL !

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
I have a small independent shop I've used for over 23 years , he just mounted two Kenda dual sports for my Vespa 198.25 with tire's .

Disclaimer, For what i charge in my business Im not going to complain about 50 bucks to wrestle with a tire for my hobby . Im sure those who would complain about price also cry about how careful they need to be with the rim during the change !Don't be a TROLL !
Do you know what a troll is? If you look it up you'll see that your post is actually the closest thing to trolling in this thread. (you basically accused everyone here who thinks $50 bucks to change a motorcycle tire is too much of being cry babies).

Personally... if I pay someone the equivalent of $180/hr to change a tire, you bet your ass they'll be buying a new rim if they damage it. We're talking about a job that can easily be done by someone making $15/hr with a machine costing less than $2k and about 9 square feet of floor space. The shops themselves highlight the arbitrary nature of the pricing... otherwise why would some only charge $35 while others charge $90 for the exact same work.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Do you still do a static balance or did you spring for a dynamic balancer?
I use a static balancer and have a Marc Parnes balancing axle with adaptors for normal wheels and for single sided wheels such as my 1098, 1299 and Multistrada.

I offer to change tires for all the folks in my riding groups, it's a great way to make friends...

A lot of my friends will have their new tires drop shipped to me, especially those that don't have the front and rear stands and some with the technical inability to comfortably remove their wheels themselves.

This was my first attempt at using it, so I'm still figuring out all the little tricks and nuances.

I use it with a 15 year old Sears 1Hp compressor. The tire machine takes up about the same floorspace as a 20" walk behind lawn mower.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
My local independent shop charges $30 to mount and balance. Been using them for years. They are good folks, so I like to support them and buy my tires through them too. They charge a bit more for the tires than the dealership and the Cycle Gear shop across town, but I can walk in with my wheels anytime, and walk out with new tires mounted in about 15 mins.

I bought a tire changing machine once and gave it a try. I'm sure it was my poor technique, and I chewed up quite a few rims before I just gave the machine to my brother in law.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Last time I went to a dealer I paid for balancing and low and behold I have perfect rim and tire .
Yeah they said it was a perfect balance and didn't need weights.....

Should I be Suspicious????

And YES , If I Pay You will pay if you or your (relative) employee damage a very expensive pretty rim by not paying attention making a Quick $50.

We Pay to have a job done Properly.
And as a Businessman you should want your clients to be happy.

Oh yeah member to let the air out before breaking the bead....:surprise:

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
I bought a tire changing machine once and gave it a try. I'm sure it was my poor technique, and I chewed up quite a few rims before I just gave the machine to my brother in law.
That was my fear too, but even the (relatively) inexpensive manual machine we bought has tools designed to minimize the risk of damaging your rim. I'd never done it before and I was able to change my front tire in about 35 minutes without any risk of damaging the rim (that included a mid-change beer pause). I imagine if you know what you're doing you can do it in 15 minutes even on a manual machine.

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
Last time I went to a dealer I paid for balancing and low and behold I have perfect rim and tire .

Nope. Motorcycle tires are pretty dang good these days. Line up the dot with the valve stem and you will probably be pretty close. I've changed several that were within 1/4 oz as mounted.

·
Registered
503 Posts

Nope, it happens more than you'd think. Some tire brands are better than others (Michelin is one).

$90 to mount a tire... 20 minutes work... holy crap... :surprise: and I thought the shops around me were bad.
That's a lot unless you are doing a touring bike that needs a lot of "stuff" pulled off just to get to the axle. Our shop is called sportbike specialties but harley and cruiser guys come in because we are cheaper than dealers. In fact I just talked my boss into charging more for them. >:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tire mounting price.......

After reading this discussion about tire mounting/balancing, on or off the bike I have to throw in this bit of information.

Tonight I was talking with a co worker about changing the tire on his H-D Street Bob prior to his trip to SD in August. I asked him what he was going to do and he said he was quoted, to change out the rear tire, (mount and balance only) was $130.00 not including the cost of the tire. Wild Prarie H-D in Eden Prarie, MN no less. There is a guy near work that will mount and static balance a loose wheel for $20 if you bring some weights.....

And you guys thought $90 was rape..........ouch.

Uli-

1 - 20 of 26 Posts