Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed these on an 02-03 ST4S and be able to use the stock length braided steel lines? I would like to use them in the 7 deg back position as well. I think I recall that the 1/2" versions did not require longer lines but a quick forum search did not exactly confirm that for my application.

Another slightly different question - does anyone have experience which configuration get the bars closer to you; the Corse Dynamics/ Dr Desmo style which rotates the bars back 7 deg around the axis of the fork tube, or the Mike Shannon style which rotates the bars back 7 deg around a horizontal axis via wedge shaped risers?

Thanks

Paul R.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Has anyone installed these on an 02-03 ST4S and be able to use the stock length braided steel lines? I would like to use them in the 7 deg back position as well. I think I recall that the 1/2" versions did not require longer lines but a quick forum search did not exactly confirm that for my application.

Thanks

Paul R.
I had the CD 1/2 risers on my ST4S. I used the original lines.
-M

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Thanks Moto! That is the confirmation that I was looking for.

Paul R.
I have the DR Desmo 1" risers with 7.5 degree pull back and used the original lines for everything so I would say for sure 1/2" would be no problem.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I used both, the 1" and the 1/2". 1", on the ST4s, the ss lines were taught at full fork ext. 1/2" they are fine.

One note, the "rotates the bars back 7 deg around the axis of the fork tube" is not exactly correct.

They actually pivot from the inner mounting bolt, and in this config., then the large holes are not concentric with the center of the fork tube any longer. You can still get to the adjustment screw for rebound, but you would not be able to "drop the front end" by sliding the tubes north any longer. Not that anybody does that (oh nooooo, we would NEVER do thaaat...)...we usually adjust the rear wheel lower with the adjustable rear link in the suspension. Since you have an ST4s, you have the adjustable rod in the rear.

You can get these from MotoWheels also.

Reactions: 92 900ss

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
When I last researched this some comments made were that the lines were a problem with some and not others for the 1" risers. It appears that the conclusion was there were different length lines used from day to day at Ducati :)

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
I have some 25mm(1") spacers that I am concerned about fitting due to brake line lengths and fairing clearance.

On my other ST I had the 3/8-1/12 versions and didn't feel like they made much difference, so I am at odds with this mod.

Craig

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
I don't have the spacers for OEM bars, but I do have Cycle Cat risers. I'd say the CC riser is 3/4 to 1 inch over OEM. I was able to use the OEM lines with no problem. Not plug and play, however. It took some adjustment. I remember having to crack the banjo bolts for the clutch and brake lines to rotate them down a bit gaining some slack.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the 1" Dr. Desmo risers in the swept back position. They came with a short extension tube for the front brake line. The clutch line was long enough.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
I have the 1" Dr. Desmo risers in the swept back position. They came with a short extension tube for the front brake line. The clutch line was long enough.
Have you got a photo of them? How close are the reservoirs to the fairing?

Craig

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you got a photo of them? How close are the reservoirs to the fairing?

Craig
No photo but they are real close. I seem to remember slightly bending the clutch reservoir mount so it did not rub on the upper fairing/ inner black cover . Also had to adjust the fork stops to keep from hitting fuel tank with turn signal and kill switch housings when in the swept back position.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Craig

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
I just googled them and it appears that's what I have.(minus the lightening holes)

ST2 and ST4 1" Bar Risers

What I don't understand is 'how' are they adjustable? How do you achieve different positions?

Cheers

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey cb, they do look the same except for the lightening holes. Have they been installed since you've had the ST or are you starting from scratch? They came with a bunch of 8mm hex head screws in different lengths ( I'm looking at the instructions I got from DR. Desmo in 2003, his copier must of almost been out of ink.) But you should have 2 m8x45mm bolts long enough to go through the Ducati bar and the spacer on the inside holes , they go in last. If you want them back 7.5 deg.you need 4 m8x25mm hex head bolts . 2 - 25mm bolts mount the spacers to the outer most holes on the triple tree. 2- 25mm bolts attach the outside bar flange to the threaded hole in the spacer . Then the 45mm bolts go through the inside holes of bar and spacer and screw into triple tree . Confused yet ? If you want the spacers in the stock angle then you need 2 -50mm bolts to go through the outside bar and spacer hole into tripple tree. IN Dr. Desmos notes : unhook choke cable from wire "bail" on RH side of gas tank. Grease threads, torque to 175ft/lbs ,Enjoy

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Thanks Tom,

I have 4 x M8 x 50mm allen head bolts. I might try and get a Copy of those instructions.

So there is no other spacer? I don't or can't get my head around the 'pulled back position'

Craig

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Thanks Tom,
I don't or can't get my head around the 'pulled back position'

Craig
Craig,
Looking at your pic of the LH riser, the right hand hole and the left hand counter bored hole line up with the existing holes on your triple clamp. The bar then bolts to the same RH hole and the closer left hand hole. This thread explains it all for you with pictures in post 5. I think they the bike way more comfortable :smile2:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/7888-instructions-installing-3-4-inch-dr-desmo-risers.html

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Thanks Nick, I did eventually figure it out, although that 7.5 degree setting will be no good for me, I prefer wider bars. I may not end up using them if they are too high. I might talk to a machinist about cutting them in half or 3/4's

I wrote to Dr Desmo and he sent me the instructions overnight.

Thanks Tom & Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you want real adjustability go with convertibars expensive but worth it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts