Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have my first Hyper 2010 EVO SP with full Termi, ECU and airbox. I have ridden and raced dirt since a young child. My last road bike was a Harley Road King. The move to the Hyper was huge, in terms of power and handling.

Well today it bit me; I came into a sharp left hander, ran wide off the road and saved it thanks to a nice run off into grass. I realize I have a lot to learn about cornering fast. My question any cornering tips you could share?

I will take a track day and I hope a lesson, I was just interested to hear about those with similar experience (dirt to road).

My instinct was to lean it hard, throw a leg out. But as we know payment does not move, so I sort of locked up and to avoid laying it down went off the road.

Any general advice would be appreciated by an old fool on a fast motorcycle!

Thanks

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
zap... you're going to get good advice like the above, but it will be tough to answer your question without some specifics.

You probably have more experience riding bikes than most having ridden dirt for many years, which makes it all the more difficult to offer good advice.

My instinct would be to ask, are you looking through the turn and not in front of you, are you using your body to lean out, starting with your head, moving your upper body into the turn smoothly, coming off the seat slightly?... I'd say the big difference with a fast road bike is that you want to lean into the turn so as to minimize the lean angle of the bike... as opposed to dirt where you throw the bike down underneath you. And....you...do...everything...s-m-o-o-t-h-l-y... clutch, throttle, brakes... like slow breathing, very different from dirt.

#1 though.. is looking into the turn... oh, and keep your feet on the pegs... putting your foot down to try to control a 400lb bike at speed is just asking to have your knee cartilage turned into awkardly shaped pulp. Just because if you squint you can make the hyper look like a dirt bike... it isn't. it's a sport bike with huge handlebar leverage and huge torque... use it wisely, use it differently.

:D

my 1c of advice.

·
Registered
587 Posts
"And never abandon your turn" quote by Kieth Code. I had an abandon turn recently going into a 70mph flick turn I was setting up when I realizes the whole turn was covered in Walnuts and there slime .Man I was glad there was no opposing traffic .
I love this time of year except for Walnuts and Osage Oranges . I have Flick of the wrist #1 on a PDF file if interested.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
"And never abandon your turn" quote by Kieth Code.
Good advice from all of the above.

Crank it over further and further until you get around it. If you are riding a late model Ducati you have plenty of adhesion and clearance to get around.

If you have time to knock off a bit of speed before you get in there do it, but don't jeopardise your line to do it.

There are limits but not usually found by most of us. ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys. I needed a little encouragement.

What you all said is exactly what I did not do. I will be frank, I panicked when I saw my initial line was wrong. Thank goodness for some dirt background as I had a wild ride in the grass until coming to a stop. Just prior to my mishap I had the tire slide a bit because of gravel in another turn, so the pucker factor was at red line when I saw my line was wide.

I was thinking of going to a wide open parking lot and getting a feel for the lean and most importantly, my limits in confidence.

The leg out was from watching too many supermoto videos. Seriously, it is a hard instinct to over come. Like a good friend of mine says "easy, this is not your mother's harley"

Thank you again and sorry for the initial double post.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
the advice below from someone who crashed his hypertard on a rock :rolleyes:

zap... you're going to get good advice like the above, but it will be tough to answer your question without some specifics.

You probably have more experience riding bikes than most having ridden dirt for many years, which makes it all the more difficult to offer good advice.

My instinct would be to ask, are you looking through the turn and not in front of you, are you using your body to lean out, starting with your head, moving your upper body into the turn smoothly, coming off the seat slightly?... I'd say the big difference with a fast road bike is that you want to lean into the turn so as to minimize the lean angle of the bike... as opposed to dirt where you throw the bike down underneath you. And....you...do...everything...s-m-o-o-t-h-l-y... clutch, throttle, brakes... like slow breathing, very different from dirt.

#1 though.. is looking into the turn... oh, and keep your feet on the pegs... putting your foot down to try to control a 400lb bike at speed is just asking to have your knee cartilage turned into awkardly shaped pulp. Just because if you squint you can make the hyper look like a dirt bike... it isn't. it's a sport bike with huge handlebar leverage and huge torque... use it wisely, use it differently.

:D

my 1c of advice.

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Hypermotard
1,197 Posts
I think this also came from Keith Code when asked what to do if you enter into a turn too hot, "The first thing you do is turn." That means, it is worse to run off than to relax, turn, and to lean harder.

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
995 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind in general is to know the road well before you up the ante. You want to know what corners have the blind entrences or mid way through changes, what sections have pavement faults etc as you need know what to watch out for and how to ride it before you ride it spiritly. A professional motorcycle racer does not enter a race without riding the track first and getting to know it.

To me, this is one of the biggest things to riding but first and foremost, learn how to ride the bike. What I mean by this is learning what to expect from its characteristics when it responds so that you'll be prepared when you encounter different situations. Your idea of practicing in a parking lot is
a great start to learning your bikes handling. :)

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
a track school is a great way to get confidence to KNOW your bike can handle leaning WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY over. I thoroughly enjoyed the two day keith code superbike camp I did at Barber during the summer and will do another next year.

I think this also came from Keith Code when asked what to do if you enter into a turn too hot, "The first thing you do is turn." That means, it is worse to run off than to relax, turn, and to lean harder.

·
Registered
236 Posts
+1 to all of the above. I'm just getting to where I'm comfortable holding onto some speed in a turn, and it amazes me how much of a difference it makes to hang off the side of the bike.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
All the above is good advise. I bought the "Twist of the Wrist 2" DVD and give it a thumbs up. I also learned a good technique from Lee Parks "Total Control" book. He says when you counter steer you should loosen your grip on the hand that you not pushing with. I was amazed at how much quicker and smoother my turn in was.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks fellows! It is a huge shock between the heavy slow handling and under powered harley to the motard. I will read, study and try to arrange a school visit in the great state of Michigan.

I was sort of embarrassed to admit to the group what happened. I could read the minds "another old fool suffering a mid-life crisis and way over his head" you may still be thinking that, but your replies are spot on, kind and insightful.

I know one thing, I love the bike and will teach myself to ride it.

Thanks to all again!
Zap

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Or as David Hough says in "Proficient Motorcycling":

SLLR (Slow, Look, Lean, Roll-on throttle)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Hi folks,

I have my first Hyper 2010 EVO SP with full Termi, ECU and airbox. I have ridden and raced dirt since a young child. My last road bike was a Harley Road King. The move to the Hyper was huge, in terms of power and handling.

Well today it bit me;...
Any general advice would be appreciated by an old fool on a fast motorcycle!

Thanks
My story is similar to yours as the Hyper was my first "sport" bike after years on dirt bikes and cruisers.

Haul yourself over to Barber and do the Sportbiketracktime (STT) track day in Novice.

Till then, back off a bit on the streets until you get a feel for the bike. (Just as an FYI, the side plastic panels on a Hyper cost $425 to replace and a lowside can total your bike.)

On the Hyper, exaggerate your body position vs a sport bike and get way off the bike is what I was told. It may be over kill but it won't hurt. As much as it looks and feels like a dirt bike, it is not one. Both butt cheeks off, head down and chest towards the inside handlebar. Look thru the corner to where you want to go.

Here is an idea of what it looks like:

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Just prior to my mishap I had the tire slide a bit because of gravel in another turn, so the pucker factor was at red line when I saw my line was wide.

I was thinking of going to a wide open parking lot and getting a feel for the lean and most importantly, my limits in confidence.

The leg out was from watching too many supermoto videos. Seriously, it is a hard instinct to over come. Like a good friend of mine says "easy, this is not your mother's harley"
With this, I would think about taking a short rest stop after the first mishap. It will allow you to refocus for the rest of the ride ahead.

Also, if you search around, you'll find some pics of folks riding the Hyper dirt style.

Be careful going WFO in a parking lot without a good survey. Debris and paint lines can be worse than empty country roads.

Have a good one.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Everything Revelatocker said, but DO NOT WEAR A BLUE SMURF SUIT LIKE HIS ON YOUR HYPER AT STARBUCKS!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
My story is similar to yours as the Hyper was my first "sport" bike after years on dirt bikes and cruisers.

Haul yourself over to Barber and do the Sportbiketracktime (STT) track day in Novice.

Till then, back off a bit on the streets until you get a feel for the bike. (Just as an FYI, the side plastic panels on a Hyper cost $425 to replace and a lowside can total your bike.)

On the Hyper, exaggerate your body position vs a sport bike and get way off the bike is what I was told. It may be over kill but it won't hurt. As much as it looks and feels like a dirt bike, it is not one. Both butt cheeks off, head down and chest towards the inside handlebar. Look thru the corner to where you want to go.

Here is an idea of what it looks like:
Great Pic! Perfect example of looking thru the turn.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Darn it

I was just thinking of a blue suit when I saw your post!

Joking of course, I respect the hell out of the bike and the power. I think the run off was a good "wake up" call to remind the old fool there is much to learn.

I have looked up Code site and reading like a mad man. I don't fear low siding other than damage to the bike. I guess sliders might be in order.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!!

zap

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was mainly a dirt bike guy for the last 47 years, I'm 62 now. I went to the Kieth Code superbike school earlier in the year and learned one really important thing. Bikes DO NOT turn by leaning. They have a bike where the second set of handle bars that also have the controls, but are not hooked to front forks so you cannot turn the front wheel with them. You ride down the area and try to make the bike turn by leaning and the bike goes almost perfectly straight. Leaning will not turn the bike. What does turn it is countersteering where you push forward on the right side of the bars to turn Right. You do this now to some extent but don't realize it. You can steer the bike by turning the bars in the direction you want to go if you're going under about 15 MPH but over that and you're countersteering. Look up countersteering on the web and you'll get plenty of great advise. BTW, The superbike school on the BMW S1000RR was the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle and besides that bike being so easy to ride. I still love my Hyper though.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts