Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 999 and am considering going with the cored out stock exhaust that also removes the cat in the mid pipe. Anybody out there has done this? Any feed back is appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
done a couple.i run a power commander but you can do without.the cats get a bad wrap imo.after seeing one there is almost no restriction,but they do get hot.remember that one is in the front pipe too.if your a competent welder you shouldn't have a problem,but it will take about a day.and if you want loud just get some perforated stainless and run her straight through just like the race termis.(then you will need a pc111 imo)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a cored stock exhaust on an 04 749. I made 100 hp at the rear. I had the shop re-map my stock ECU. It worked out fine. I'm not sure that I like the sound of the cored exhaust (a little too high pitched). I am getting a custom exhaust through ARC Fabrication this spring. I would be happy to sell you the complete system when the other one is fabricated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey I am new to the forum, So Hi.
Any who, Iam in the process of coring out my stock system just for sh*ts and giggles. but I was told by my local shop That I had to get a PC3 to make sure it was getting properly dailed.
But I read that someone had remapped there stock ECU and it worked fine.
Is this true?

Thanks Miles

·
Registered
117 Posts
G35AT said:
Well did you remove the Cats? What were running before you cored out the Exh?
The cats are removed in the mid-pipe and the muffler. I never did the baseline dyno run. You add little to no RWHP from the cheap Termi kit, or the coring of the muffler and mid-pipe.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The truth hurts!

Man! The 749/999 cored cans sound like a mix between a loud Buel and pipeless Briggs and Stratton motor. It's almost the crappiest sound I've ever heard! If you've been to a track and had to listen to them at full song you'll crap your pants, and hide your head in shame as a Ducati owner.

Save your coin and buy a ZARD pipe or hock your house and get a Termi.

·
comrade moderator
26,772 Posts
That's exactly why I didn't go the cored route on my 749. I was thinking about it, then asked some Ducati folk who would know and got a similiar description of the sound.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pinocchio said:
Man! The 749/999 cored cans sound like a mix between a loud Buel and pipeless Briggs and Stratton motor. It's almost the crappiest sound I've ever heard! If you've been to a track and had to listen to them at full song you'll crap your pants, and hide your head in shame as a Ducati owner.

Save your coin and buy a ZARD pipe or hock your house and get a Termi.

This might be a harsh description. I don't think they sound that bad. I do not like the tiny sound you get when you rev it down from like 7k. I am getting rid of mine system. I'm going with a custom system from ARC Fabrication.

·
Registered
241 Posts
RI749 said:
This might be a harsh description. I don't think they sound that bad. I do not like the tiny sound you get when you rev it down from like 7k. I am getting rid of mine system. I'm going with a custom system from ARC Fabrication.

I'll be honest I don't know what it sounds like to the person on the bike with ear plugs and a helmet on! This alone might be a reason no owner of a cored pipe has figured it out yet.

A true test is to let your buddy ride your bike up and down the street you live on a couple of times so the owner can see just what saving a few bucks is doing to the sport! At ten o'clock at night that is!

As far as Doug's work goes....your going to get some real horsepower gains from his systems. Write us back and make us aware of how a properly done system works compared to a guy with a can opener and a welder!

Enjoy your ARC system!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pinocchio said:
I'll be honest I don't know what it sounds like to the person on the bike with ear plugs and a helmet on! This alone might be a reason no owner of a cored pipe has figured it out yet.

A true test is to let your buddy ride your bike up and down the street you live on a couple of times so the owner can see just what saving a few bucks is doing to the sport! At ten o'clock at night that is!

As far as Doug's work goes....your going to get some real horsepower gains from his systems. Write us back and make us aware of how a properly done system works compared to a guy with a can opener and a welder!

Enjoy your ARC system!

I was up at BCM the other day. I talked to Doug about getting a system. Do you have any experience with his systems?

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Anyone have experience with this guy?

http://www.ducatipipemod.com/service/sbk/index.html

He says he's not taking orders right now, but I imagine he'll be back in business one day. Unfortunately, the websites sound bytes for the Duc 749/999 aren't working for my browser so its hard to form an opinion on the sound.

·
Registered
241 Posts
RI749 said:
I was up at BCM the other day. I talked to Doug about getting a system. Do you have any experience with his systems?
Yeah, I'll be running one of his systems on my SSie. It's sitting in my garage right now. It's the only system that I've found that will flow the amount of air that Guy Martin's Red Heads will flow! Guy took my heads and did some real nice work to them! Extra special stuff! So I needed a system that would live up to Guy's heads. Nothing and I mean nothing on the market will flow like Doug's systems.

Doug took a 999R and built a system for it. 150 - 154 rwhp! A Pipe and a Map!

http://www.arcfabrication.com/superbikesystems.html

How about a set of 100mm pistons in your 749s a map and 137 rwhp!

Build quality is excellent, while some bicker over style or looks. Hell, with a 137 or 154 rwhp you could call me ugly all day long!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pinocchio said:
Yeah, I'll be running one of his systems on my SSie. It's sitting in my garage right now. It's the only system that I've found that will flow the amount of air that Guy Martin's Red Heads will flow! Guy took my heads and did some real nice work to them! Extra special stuff! So I needed a system that would live up to Guy's heads. Nothing and I mean nothing on the market will flow like Doug's systems.

Doug took a 999R and built a system for it. 150 - 154 rwhp! A Pipe and a Map!

http://www.arcfabrication.com/superbikesystems.html

How about a set of 100mm pistons in your 749s a map and 137 rwhp!

Build quality is excellent, while some bicker over style or looks. Hell, with a 137 or 154 rwhp you could call me ugly all day long!

I saw his work in person last Thursday. It was quite impressive. I am talking to him now about getting something made for my bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anybody have any experiences with the cored out version on the 748's? I currently have an 01 748s and would like to get a louder exhaust that doesn't sound terrible. Any suggestions? Would I need a chip? How much does it cost to get it remapped? Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Venomized said:
Anybody have any experiences with the cored out version on the 748's? I currently have an 01 748s and would like to get a louder exhaust that doesn't sound terrible. Any suggestions? Would I need a chip? How much does it cost to get it remapped? Thanks.

You live in the Bay Area, which means some used slip-on for sale. I'd look for a set of Arrows out of C/F. They'll give you the best boom for the buck! Ti and Aluminum sound tinny! Take your time and save your bucks and you'll be a happy fella for years to come.

Shhh!
Don't tell anyone, but.....
I saw a set of cored pipes on a Ducati at the Nascar Daytona 500!
The cans had a Nascar logo on them......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts