Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an after market seat for a Superlight. The OEM one is like wood. It looks like Corbin is the only one who makes them short of a true custom seat. I am looking at the basket weave leather vs the carbon fiber leather. Anyone have one or the other? I figured you guys in the ST section probably have more input on after market seats.

www.corbin.com

·
Registered
138 Posts
Corbin seats are kinda love-them-or-hate-them. I think they basically made out of cement, and they just don't work for me. But, lots of people like them. Try to find one locally to try first.

You also might try to find a local seat shop to redo your current seat.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I have a Sargent seat in a carbon-fiber pattern. The texture helps prevent sliding around on the seat. I had a Corbin Canyon Close seat on my ST2, but I found it way too hard and uncomfortable. The pan was beat up and looked like it was 15 years old even though it was new.

·
Registered
21 Posts
At one point in my life I was 330lb (~24 stones) and a Corbin seat was recommended to me. At that weight after a few _months_ of break time it worked well. I wasn't at that weight long and when I dropped below 300lb and kept going down it got worse and worse. When I replaced it thinking I just ruined it being too heavy I was in for a granite-like ride. On my next bike I got another Corbin for some reason I still can't fathom and really disliked it.

So I'm going go with the hate'em category for myself. I will throw a love'em toward Sargent though although I haven't fitted my current bike with one yet. -Pk

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have Corbin's on the 851 (basket-weave) and the ST4S (carbon-fiber). Both are comfortable to me, though they do take a while to break in properly. The stock seats on the ST's are particularly uncomfortable, so Corbin's may compare more favorably with them than with the Superlight's.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i have a Corbin on my ST4 and the only reason that i have not taken it off is the back rest used by my wife or son when riding 2 up. It is hard as a brick and i find myself wanting to take a break after 30 minutes on the road. Put me in the "hate em" group ... Going to a Sergant or DP seat in the near future.

·
Administrator
12,697 Posts
I sure like my Sargent!

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
i have a Corbin on my ST4 and the only reason that i have not taken it off is the back rest used by my wife or son when riding 2 up. It is hard as a brick and i find myself wanting to take a break after 30 minutes on the road. Put me in the "hate em" group ... Going to a Sergant or DP seat in the near future.
Just like you and joeychitwood said. I know you don't normally see the underside but everytime I take it off and look it really makes me wonder why I was stupid enough to speed so much money on something so poorly made. The real leather covering looks good from the top side though. The only time I put it on is for the wife because of the backrest. It's nice for her but it kills my butt. I like the Sargent and stock seat much better.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Me and my dad both like the corbin a lot,
Perhaps you need a european butt instead of a huge american ass? :p
They are hard but offer good support if they fit you nicely.
Love'em group for us :)

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Me and my dad both like the corbin a lot,
Perhaps you need a european butt instead of a huge american ass? :p
I think that must have lost something in the translation :)

You just wait until McDonalds takes over your country and then see how much you still like that rock hard Corbin :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have Corbin's on the 851 (basket-weave) and the ST4S (carbon-fiber). Both are comfortable to me, though they do take a while to break in properly. The stock seats on the ST's are particularly uncomfortable, so Corbin's may compare more favorably with them than with the Superlight's.
So which works better, the basket weave or carbon fiber.

·
Registered
84 Posts
With respect to function, I cannot tell the difference. I think it is an aesthetic choice, "smooth" vs "textured". The basket weave may be a little cooler since it creates tiny air pockets, but I doubt a person would notice the difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts