Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I have no experience with the SC Corbin seat, but I have had a few corbin seats on other bikes over the years.

One thing I did not like with Corbin seats, was the extra weight compared to stock seats. They are usually VERY heavy, like 2-3 times the weight of a stock seat.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
I have no knowledge of this specific seat. But years ago I went through the search process for getting a custom seat for my 900ss. Corbin was looked at and rejected because several people I knew of had bad experiences with the company. Poor customer support. Inability to return a seat that they found uncomfortable.

I went to Sargent and was totally pleased (as were several other people I knew).

But that was more than fifteen years ago. Things can change.

-don

·
Registered
60 Posts
definitely better than stock!

i have had 2 corbin seats, the first on a 78 bonneville & now on my 1000s.

i think it is a significant upgrade on the stock seat.

the padding is much more dense so as long as you are not looking for a soft cushion you can not go wrong.

it takes a bit of getting used to but after it is broken in you will not look back.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mr.Green, appreciate the comments and nice pics too. That looks to be a very impressive seat indeed... How is the weight compared to the stock seat? And can you remove it like the key-in stock unit?

i have had 2 corbin seats, the first on a 78 bonneville & now on my 1000s.

i think it is a significant upgrade on the stock seat.

the padding is much more dense so as long as you are not looking for a soft cushion you can not go wrong.

it takes a bit of getting used to but after it is broken in you will not look back.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sargent Seats anyone for a SC 06 Mono ??

Hey guys, I appreciate the feedback, its great to hear from other riders experience.

A couple of you have mentioned Sargent seats. I googled them and found their site, thats all good. But I'd really like to hear from rides who have a Sargent and can post images (thanks Mr.Green) and comment on the quality, weight etc.

Especially anyone with a 06 Mono. There seems to be plenty more options for the Biposto over the Mono.

Cheers Mat

·
Registered
796 Posts
Can't comment on the SC version, but I do have a Corbin on my Commando. When I first got it I thought #1 this thing is way heavy and #2 this thing is way hard. On the first ride I found that the extra firm foam Corbin uses is actually very comfortable, so that was not an issue. I have now had it for about 6 years and it has held up very well and is still much more comfortable than the soft stocker. But it is still very HEAVY. One thing I noticed about the pix from Mr. Green is that the Corbin SC seat is relatively flat and maybe even rises up a bit in the front (as does my Commando seat) while my '06 Mono seat definately slopes forward. This would perhaps keep you from sliding forward when getting serious with the brakes and having "the boys" become too intimate with the ever expanding tank. But I would be willing to bet it is also HEAVY.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
... the Corbin SC seat is relatively flat and maybe even rises up a bit in the front (as does my Commando seat) while my '06 Mono seat definately slopes forward. This would perhaps keep you from sliding forward when getting serious with the brakes and having "the boys" become too intimate with the ever expanding tank...
Yes, that is one thing I don't like about my seat is that it slopes forward. With one long down-hill I have to deal with in my slow morning commute I do not like it, no sir, not one bit! Having a level seat would be much better, sloping rearward even better I imagine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I've seen there's a custom Bagster seat available. Looks interesting?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
If you're shopping seats, don't forget the NCR one:

Credit Kayser Söze for the image

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Indeed Kaiser, what's your thoughts on the NCR seat. Comfortable & supportive in the saddle?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Mat
That Corbin seat looks like a fair price. It would be interesting to see what Kiwi Customs officers say about the snakeskin option if you tried to bring one in!
I picked up a mono comfort seat on US ebay not so long ago but still haven't tried it out. I like the fact that it's not so high at the back, and agree with the previous "sliding forward" comments. If you're up in Auckland, let me know, you're most welcome to come over and have a try out.
I met a guy up here that had his '06 seat custom recovered and it looked a lot more comfortable than the standard seat. So that is an option.
There was also a Paul Smart for sale in Tauranga with an NCR seat fitted but not sure where it went to. NCR is pricey and remember the tax man adds 15% to the total (plus fees) when it arrives. Maybe NZ$1200-1300 by the time you get it.
Cheers
Kelvin

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Kelvin

The Ducati comfort seat is where I started this train of thought, but they're as rare as hens teeth. Well done finding that one. I may just continue to watch eBay rather than splurge for now.

And really, at this stage I'm researching my options now so I know what I want later, seat, grips, exhaust options etc etc

You're in Auckland! I don't get up often but it would definitely be nice to meet and see your ride when next your way. I attended my first DOCNZ meet last week and one of the guys had a Paul Smart NCR, one of four Ducs in the garage ;)

What's your ride?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Mat
Mine is a Black '06 Sport 1100
check out the webpage about it here...
-- 2006 Sport 1100 - Speed Freak's
Mario did a fantastic job building it and I haven't changed a thing (apart from suspension adjustments)
Love it so much I'm now building a Yellow/Black '06 1100S!

I should plan a ride down to Welly! On my list of things to do...
Rode down to the Boxing Day races at the Cemetary Circuit and that was a test of the bum comfort - but not as bad as I thought it would be.
cheers
Kelvin

·
Registered
60 Posts
removal & install is a piece of cake.
it is heavier than stock but there is no way 2-3 times the weight.
i did not put the two pieces on the scale but if i had to guess the increase is no more than a couple of pounds...
my nut sack is worth every ounce!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Kelvin

Wow! What a gorgeous bike. Very very nice And thanks for sharing the Speedfreaks site. Im just starting my journey but what a great canvass to start from. Look forward to following your build in the coming months?
Mat

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
removal & install is a piece of cake.
it is heavier than stock but there is no way 2-3 times the weight.
i did not put the two pieces on the scale but if i had to guess the increase is no more than a couple of pounds...
my nut sack is worth every ounce!
Thanks Mr Green. I appreciate your feedback. Can't say I'm enthusiastic about the OEM seat; and relieved to discover there are some options.
Cheers Mat

·
Registered
14 Posts
I didn't like the stock seat at all - too wide and thick for me. I had used a Corbin seat in a past life (on 2 Harleys) and found them a lot better than the stock seat. So, why not on a Ducati? If one cruises the Corbin site, they show a seat for a Sport 1000, with the cowling over the back of the seat. Beware, they only make one seat which is a bi-posto seat. They do not make a mono-posto. However, they put holes in their seat that allows one to install the cowling. There is a gap between the seat and the cowling at the front of the cowling. I went to a local upholstry shop and had them make me a wedge to fill in the gap. The Corbin seat is a little lower than the stock seat, and quite a bit narrower to boot. The Corbin seat is heavier that the stock seat. It works fine with the Ducati seat realease. Customer service at Corbin is a hit-or-miss proposition. Since their catalog is a little misleading and I specifically stated on my order that I had a mono-posto, and the seat that showed up was a bi-posto, I was initally po'd, I tried contacting them. After about three weeks after I received my seat, I finally got an e-mail from customer service - by that time I had figured out that the mono-posto cowling would fit the seat, it was a moot point. All-in-all, I'm satisfied with the Corbin seat. It's well made and looks good too - I would recommend it to anyone; with the caveot of "beware of customer service" which is lacking.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I didn't like the stock seat at all - too wide and thick for me. I had used a Corbin seat in a past life (on 2 Harleys) and found them a lot better than the stock seat. So, why not on a Ducati? If one cruises the Corbin site, they show a seat for a Sport 1000, with the cowling over the back of the seat. Beware, they only make one seat which is a bi-posto seat. They do not make a mono-posto. However, they put holes in their seat that allows one to install the cowling. There is a gap between the seat and the cowling at the front of the cowling. I went to a local upholstry shop and had them make me a wedge to fill in the gap. The Corbin seat is a little lower than the stock seat, and quite a bit narrower to boot. The Corbin seat is heavier that the stock seat. It works fine with the Ducati seat realease. Customer service at Corbin is a hit-or-miss proposition. Since their catalog is a little misleading and I specifically stated on my order that I had a mono-posto, and the seat that showed up was a bi-posto, I was initally po'd, I tried contacting them. After about three weeks after I received my seat, I finally got an e-mail from customer service - by that time I had figured out that the mono-posto cowling would fit the seat, it was a moot point. All-in-all, I'm satisfied with the Corbin seat. It's well made and looks good too - I would recommend it to anyone; with the caveot of "beware of customer service" which is lacking.
Hi, did the Corbin seat come with a lower ride height? Was it more narrow then stock? If so, did your ride become more comfortable?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
In the past Corbin has offered a customizing service where the customer goes to their facility and the seat would be tailored to them, all done while you wait. Don't know if they still do it but your not that far away.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts