Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6'-0" with a 33" inseam and would like to know if anyone here can provide any feedback on the merits of the Corbin Canyon standard seat versus the Canyon close model.

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
Hi Randy, I'm about the same dimensions (but you left out the important dimension: width of a##). At 225 lbs, I'd classify myself as a beefy dude.

I just went down and measured my Corbin...and realized I have the Canyon Close model. I find that I have plenty of room fore and aft and the butt support isn't so far back that it becomes useless. I never wish I had more saddle to slide back on. The only complaint that I have is that the Corbin is a bit on the stiff side. I still prefer it over the stock saddle. But I'd would like to try a Sargent just as a comparison.

Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Ducati ST-4 | 800-538-7035

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm 6'3" and weigh about 245. I currently have a Corbin Smuggler which is half way between the two Canyons, according to Corbin. I have plenty of room on the seat, but it is firm. Different bike, the K1200R has a Sargent. The Sargent is much less firm than the Corbin. I also have the stock seat for the 2006 Ducati, and compared to either the Sargent or the Corbin, it is spongy and it's like a cheap hotel... No ballroom, but others say the latter seat is much better than the early seat. For what it's worth, the P.O. had a Sargent on the Ducati when I bought it, but I swapped it out for the Smuggler which I have a love/hate relationship with. Hope this sheds a bit of light. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, gents. The stock seat on my R1150RT inclined towards the tank so I tried both Corbin and Sargent seats and found the Corbin to be junk and the Sargent seat made me numb in places guys don't want to be numb. I ended up installing some nylon washers to raise the front part of the seat about 1/4" and it made all the difference in the world.

I've had Sargent seats on all my K bikes because, well, the ergos are perfect for my frame. The stock seat on my former 907IE made my arse very, very unhappy so I decided to try a Corbin. Holy cow what a difference! Upon getting the ST3, I realized the stock seat had to go so I looked at Corbin and Sargent and opted for the standard Canyon seat thinking that the close model would position me too close to the tank. It turns out that the standard model has me about an inch away from the support section where the seat transitions to the pillion seat. Trying to stretch out a bit to take advantage of the back support has me so stretched out I feel like I'm on a crotch rocket.

Zoomie's comment about the smuggler option being between the standard and close models has me thinking.....AND wondering how I could justify the expense.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I couldn't justify the expense of a new Smuggler, either, but a used one showed up on EBay. Keep an eye out, they appear from time to time. Unfortunately, mine was yellow, but it cost $165.00 to correct that. It still has the yellow welt, but at least it's not on a red bike. :grin2:
Total cost of the seat and paint job was under $500.00. Just be aware that personally shipping any Corbin is expensive due to size and weight.

Those newer K bikes are unreal, aren't they! :laughj

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't justify the expense of a new Smuggler, either, but a used one showed up on EBay. Keep an eye out, they appear from time to time. Unfortunately, mine was yellow, but it cost $165.00 to correct that. It still has the yellow welt, but at least it's not on a red bike. :grin2:
Total cost of the seat and paint job was under $500.00. Just be aware that personally shipping any Corbin is expensive due to size and weight.

Those newer K bikes are unreal, aren't they! :laughj
I hear you on the cost to ship things these days. It's practically taken away the cost savings one used to enjoy when buying used stuff. As for the newer K bikes all I can say is holy $hit! The weather yesterday was good enough for me to take out the Duc first then the K12. I love the Duc but after riding it then hopping on the K it's amazing how much more brute power it has. I tell people that under full acceleration I feel like I'm just hanging on rather than riding the bike. It's a violent experience (that I happen to like :))!

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
The only complaint that I have is that the Corbin is a bit on the stiff side. I still prefer it over the stock saddle. But I'd would like to try a Sargent just as a comparison.
Mike. Next time you're in the area, you're welcome to try my Sargent.

I had a Corbin for a short time that I picked up on the cheap. It wasn't pretty... It was a regular canyon, not a close. I would have liked the close better, I think. I actually liked it being firm, I could feel my suspension working! With the Sargent being a lot softer, the seat compresses and kind of masks what's happening under you, IMHO. The OEM 916 seat is non-existent for padding, but its shape makes it very doable and you're more connected to the bike.

I ended going back to the Sargent and selling the Corbin after trying it for a while. What turned me back to the Sargent was the utility (hooks and under seat storage), light weight and probably familiarity. That seat has been on the bike since I've owned it (2005).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread. The first six months with the K12R, I thought I had accidentally purchased Satan's motorcycle and it would surely kill me and devour my soul. It is violent, loud and a very lovely thing. Now, I want a K1300S. >:)

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
399 Posts
Speaking of the utility function of the Sargent reminds me that my DP seat has the hooks and is very comfortable even for day long rides ... I have a Corbin on the Commando which is good but would say the DP is better .... maybe you should try a DP seat before making a purchase ...
Craig

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
Good point on the hooks for the DP seat. Tried on of those too. Nice, but a bit too soft for me. Lower too. I found my legs up too high, more sport bike like. I found myself understanding why people want foot peg lowering kits on the ST. The Sargent is about an inch higher than the DP or the OEM seat. Softness fell somewhere between the OEM seat (old version) and the Sargent. How soft or hard you want the seat is a purely personal choice and you just have to give them all a try if you can.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I had the standard Corbin on my ST4, while I liked it, it was a long stretch for the bars. I am 6' was and about 210 lbs at the time of ownership. The standard leaves you a lot of room to move around on a long trip but I often thought for the tighter stuff I would have preferred the Close.

My $0.02

t_bare

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
This is a big reason why I opted for the Corbin.
Personal preference, no correct answer. I'm 5'8" with a bit over 30" on the in seam. Rear ride height is adjusted to the high side. I can touch the ground with the balls of me feet. I'm good with that. I've never felt the need to flat foot a motorcycle, growing up on dirt bikes maybe had something to do with it. I'd rather have the leg room on the ST. For the 916, I expect my knees to touch my elbows!

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
I'm 6ft with a 31in inseam and really like my Corbin Canyon. It's hard, but that works for me. I can't say that it ever broke in, but that is okay with me. The leather cover allows me to easily slide around for corners and really stands up to the weather.

I have, but never tried, the stock seat and rode another ST with a Sargent. The Sargent was too squishy, limited me to one fore-aft position, and I didn't like how the cover gripped my leathers in corners.

I generally ride close to the tank but don't like to be squished or limited to there. The Canyon has three or four different positions to stretch out on.

As was said, seats are very personal thing and are expensive. It's good to get a lot of input if you can't try them out.

Have a good one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts