Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year my buddy was testing a 696 and the dealer tossed me the keys to a yellow 1098 and said have fun. Shortly after getting on the highway, my friend who was behind me fell back because of traffic. In the distance I saw a patrol shooting radar from the left shoulder...no sweat I was doing the speed limit. As I passed him, he was looking at me, then about a mile later, the cop was behind me, I thought WTF?. Later my friend told me he had never seen a cop move so fast to catch someone, ever in his life. Of course nothing happened since I wasn't doing anything.
Now everytime I pass a cop, it reminds me to watch what they do..nothing. I came to the conclusion the Hyper must look like a dirt bike to them and is of no threat. This confirms my past fancies of buying a "sportbike" as being ill since they seem to be a police target regardless if your abiding the law or not. Being on a bright yellow full fairing bike doesn't help either.
I have a 72' Vespa that will hit a whopping 60mph. I have passed way too many cops in town speeding on it and they don't do anything(knock wood). So my point is speeding is speeding no matter what your on but the police perception of what is speeding appears biased.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
your obviously not riding your hyper as it was designed to be ridden ... with either the front wheel a foot in the air, or the back tire power sliding around a corner.

cops tend to notice shit like that pretty quickly :rolleyes:

Last year my buddy was testing a 696 and the dealer tossed me the keys to a yellow 1098 and said have fun. Shortly after getting on the highway, my friend who was behind me fell back because of traffic. In the distance I saw a patrol shooting radar from the left shoulder...no sweat I was doing the speed limit. As I passed him, he was looking at me, then about a mile later, the cop was behind me, I thought WTF?. Later my friend told me he had never seen a cop move so fast to catch someone, ever in his life. Of course nothing happened since I wasn't doing anything.
Now everytime I pass a cop, it reminds me to watch what they do..nothing. I came to the conclusion the Hyper must look like a dirt bike to them and is of no threat. This confirms my past fancies of buying a "sportbike" as being ill since they seem to be a police target regardless if your abiding the law or not. Being on a bright yellow full fairing bike doesn't help either.
I have a 72' Vespa that will hit a whopping 60mph. I have passed way too many cops in town speeding on it and they don't do anything(knock wood). So my point is speeding is speeding no matter what your on but the police perception of what is speeding appears biased.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yep, this has always been true-- you are being "profiled" whether it's
your vehicle or your personal appearance. Just human nature. I find that
supermoto bikes, with the big high plastic fenders, get taken for an innocent
dual sport bike and are largely ignored by most officers. Full-fairing bikes
get scrutinized while the Hyper falls somewhere in between. The bright red,
combined with the sport-bike looking rear end doesn't help it's stealth.

You will definitely see the profiling effect when you go back and forth
between radically different vehicles. With certain rigs (I had a red '71 Z28
muscle car), the city cops will literally follow you around and wait for you to
make a mistake. With my old 911 Carrera, city cops would ignore it but the
CHP was always very interested. You are what you ride/drive, apparently.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yah - cops profiling SUCKS! In my towns I've been nailed on the hyper - nothing crazy either, just speeding. Now its like everytime I roll by one they are all eyes. It probably does'nt help that I live in a smaller town where cops have nothing better to do than bust high school parties and give out tickets (for barely speeding).

BTW - I'm only to speaking about the PoPo's in my town (and not all of them). I understand its a crazy job in some areas - in others its a lame version of Super Troopers -

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, the Z28 would be a problem, the cops either figure your lighting up a bong or your tires at the intersection light. The Porsche on the other hand, not so much..the cops figure if the driver of a Porsche is making a traffic violation is if they were distracted by there stock broker telling them the stocks are in the toilet or they are rushing themselves to the hospital because they are having a heart attack over the stocks going in the toilet.

I live in north Texas, our roads have about as many curves as a 12 year old girl. The only crooked road here is the one leading up to G.W Bushes house. If TDOT could make a highway clover leaf straight, they would. I might as well put ape hangers on my HM and slap a HD shield on the side. As far as pulling wheelies, I have to play it cool, because according to my wife this is the last bike I am allowed to buy. When it wears out or if it gets wadded up, I am SOL.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I definitely feel like I'm a lot more "visible" on the RED Hyper compared to my former, unassuming black Multistrada... but, yeah, most folks probably think it's a harmless dual-sport...

I also think if you "dress" like a squid, the cops going to take a harder look.

I wear very "plain" textile gear - a 3/4 length jacket, touring boots and a silver helmet, so I'm not threatening-looking at all. The other day I had to pass through an "inspection and registration" checkpoint, and the officer actually gave me a pat on the back and told me he was glad to see me wearing all my gear! (It was in the 80's, so most bikers were gear-less...)

The funniest thing was that, right around the bend from the stop, there was a guy on a Hardly pulled off to the side, frantically stuffing bottles of booze into his leather panniers! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Stealth

I'm convinced the Hyper is hard to get a radar reading on. I've missed out on a couple of tickets. Must be hard to pick out of traffic.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i have had better luck with twins in general. inline 4's always sound like they are at warp 10 and i have been pulled over because "it sounded like" i was going fast. what a load of crap. anyway, the twins, even at speed don't sound like the afterburner on a jet just lit off. this tends to draw less attention, at least in my neighborhood.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
The only police interaction I've had on my Hyper thus far has been as a riding partner or a thumbs up and a smile.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
and I only got a ticket for 93 mph when passing some cars on the freeway. Yep, radar proof :think:

·
Registered
47 Posts
i got popped for 78mph in a 35 zone on my 74' vespa rally 200... should have seen the look on that dudes face when he came up to see what planet i just came from!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I find it quite the opposite... I have been pulled over 3 times on the Hyper, once I recieved a nice speeding ticket, once he wanted to see the bike and the third he was checking for insurance.... obviously he was a knob, thinking I can afford a Ducati and not have insurance?

On the other hand... knock on wood, never been stopped on the 848... Last month we came across a Harley/Ford head on collission, used the 848 and a ZX6RR to block traffic while we helped the rider out.. (who wasnt in good shape) after he went in the ambulance, the cops came over and said thanks for helping and all that jazz... so perhaps they will remember that when they see us next time?

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you find crappy rough roads the cops seem never to be around. I guess they like smooth roads to keep the Starbucks off of their laps. I love the cush suspension as it allows me to take roads that would rattle the bolts out of a crotch rocket.

I am looking at adding a radar detector to my bike fore the CHP are getting sneaky and numerous.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm convinced the Hyper is hard to get a radar reading on. I've missed out on a couple of tickets. Must be hard to pick out of traffic.
Have the same sentiment. thought maybe it was the stealth aircraft-type angles on the bike.. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
There's even an official paint color

Porsche drivers used to kid about the 'Arrest Me Red' Porsche color. Drive the same car in the old Porsche dark brown & a cop wouldn't even see you.

I use a radar detector most of the time. It is amazing how often a cop pings me on the bike, when faster cars don't get pinged (instant-on radar). OK, it's not very often that a car is faster than I'm going, but it happens.

Similarly, 2 old ladies in a Buick Roadmaster can blow by a cop at 90 & he won't even notice.

Grrrrrr.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Most (not all) cops bike knowledge is pretty much limited to thats a cruiser and that is not a cruiser. Of course lately it seems as as if every cop in So. Cal has met Alex and his Hyper!!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Most (not all) cops bike knowledge is pretty much limited to thats a cruiser and that is not a cruiser. Of course lately it seems as as if every cop in So. Cal has met Alex and his Hyper!!
Boy, everyone's a comic these days, :rolleyes: like I keep saying, its not me.......ITS THE BIKE!!! :eek: :p LOL Alex

PS: where have you been hiding? lets go riding!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts