Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So question for the fellow riders...
Is your Duc a big cop magnet?

So two weeks in a row riding, seems like I get followed a lot.

The week prior, actually got pulled over for 70 in a 50 but they
were real nice and let me off with a warning! Couldn't believe my
luck. Props to those guys.

This past Sunday, I was taking it easy but was tailed about
3 times. Wasn't really speeding either because of the past week's
incident but a sheriff got really close like he was going to pull me
over. He was following me only about 1/2 a car length behind.
I was waiting for him to flash the lights and was getting ready to
pull over. I finally pull over just to get him off my tail and he just
keeps driving on?!?!

Anyone have a similar experience?

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
184 Posts
I actually think its opposite cops dont seem to bother me cause im on a ducati. The only time I got pulled over was for my lic. plate location but the cop was cool and didnt give a shit and he also rides too surprisingly enough an 04 Aprillia RSV factory, so he knew where i was coming from taking off the giant mudflap, he was even cool enough to invite me over and take it for a ride

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I feel as though the cops leave me alone because of the Duc ... so long as I am not riding like a nutcase. There was ONE TIME though, a LONG TIME ago ... I was moving at over 130mph on a wide open freeway, I was fully tucked and glanced at the mirrors, and sure enough CHP was hot on my trail with the lights and everything ... I have no idea where he came from .... I slowed down, he pulled-up beside me, got on the P.A., told me to slow down, and then took off .... I thought "Huh, you're not gonna pull me over? :confused: "

I was nervous for a good 15 minutes after he disappeared. He could have put me in handcuffs... That was enough to teach me not to mess around like that anymore, open freeways or not.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
I guess it´s true all over the world.

Cops in Sweden are pretty nice, just as long as your respectful and that you seem to have your head screwed on straight.

I got pulled over for doing 140 in a 110 zone (Kph). That usually means you loose your license for a few months, but the cop put it down to my busted speedometer (My cable had broken off) and let me go. But he did give me the lecture that if I´m passing people all the time, I MIGHT be going a little faster then just keeping up with traffic...

But if your wearing correct gear and pull over immidiatly and act respectful, then chances that the officer will be sympathetic is alot greater..

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yeah! 92mph in a 65moh zone in Oregon. My ticket was $241 after I got it reduced by $100.

The next week, 72 in a 55 zone. Crap.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I've never gotten a ticket on a Duc. About 20 yrs. ago I got one on a '82 BMW R100RS and last year I got one on my Triumph Sprint. That was in VT on 4th of July weekend and was totally bogus. Riding 2-up in traffic the cop pinched me just because the weekend was a money maker. Not whining here. I have no problems with a ticket when deserved. Anyway, I went to court and it was dropped,

bruce19

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I was picked up in scotland a few years back doing a rarther stupid speed of 142 mph. said they had been after me for seven miles and had to radio ahead for a stop. fined £1500 english pounds got banned for a year an got a suspended sentence.Live by your mistakes (should never have stopped)

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
In the past 20 years, I've gotten two tickets on my LeMans for doing about 10kph over the 50kph limit (lesson - keep to the limit in towns), and never stopped outside of towns. I've been riding Ducatis for 2 1/2 years, never had a problem except the time that I decided to pass someone, almost doing a wheelie, about 100m before the Italy/Switzerland border, and got a good lecture but let go, and another time, also in Italy got pulled over in a 50 kph zone (I was probably doing 100), and got let go with a warning, but these were both cases of stupidity on my part. I have open pipes on all my bikes, and have never had problems because of noise, but I have friends on Triumphs and HD who have, so maybe the cops are more tollerant of Guzzis and Ducatis around here.

Tom

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Here in England we used to have some of the best Policing in the world the traffic Cops were mainly OK, many times they would use their discretion and let you go with a warning if your riding wasn't dangerous and your attitude was OK, but over the last few years the sensible cops are being replaced by automated cameras and most of the few remaining cops are being replaced by a more anally retentive type of new recruit where fines revenue and crime 'targets' are more important than common sense - sadly Road Deaths are on the increase under the new 'regime' but no-one in power seems to care as speeding fines supplement the tax-take and the amount of people being convicted makes for good crime 'clear-up rates'.

Meanwhile they are planning even more cameras, capable of tracking your every journey - 'The medicine isn't working so it's time to increase the dose' :(

Whilst real & violent crime is on the increase and largely goes undetected the motorist/Biker that strays a few MPH over the limit is being persecuted, We are getting a lazy Police force from a lazy Government, who appear to have given up on the serious issues and are concentrating on the easy target, a target made up of people who on the whole pay up without question as they are normally law-abiding citizens.

The real criminals have no such problems as due to there being less cops on the road (other than camera operators) then if you remove your licence plate you can speed with impunity.

The day is coming closer that my bike shall go 'anonymous' and they will have to catch me. ;)

You'll never take me alive you filthy copper .... :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Close call

Its kind of hard to even see the police. To look behind me I find myself flapping my elbows like a chicken to use my side view mirrors. In Arizona, I haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood!) but, I did have a close call. As I was getting on the freeway, I picked up speed to pass oncoming traffic as I was heading to the far left lane. Just before arriving in the left lane a motorcycle cop pulled up right along my left side - I would have collided with him had I not looked to my left a second time! He gave me a look then went on. Yikes! By the way, Drivers in this state need to be shot! I have been temped to carry a handful of ball bearings, but my better judgement wins in the end.

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
Some of my friends are motorcycle cops. They're always following me cuz they're slower.

·
Registered
382 Posts
man, where do you guys live? Here in Albuquerque, New Mexico they are all over my ass! I usually get stopped every other time out. After the APD cops pull myself over, they give me a warning or a ticket and then say "by the way, thats a nice bike!'" WTF. In downtime abq, the cops are major pricks. One time they gave this guy a ticket for an illegal moving violation because we walked his bike across the street. something about the traffic jam of cars and the white/yellow lines.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Three warnings so far.

With just over 18,000 miles on my bike. I try to keep close to the speed limit when it is not going to be fun. But when I do get to some favorite twisty sections posted 30MPH. It's time to enjoy the ride. I always ride with my gear. Have always stopped. Been extremely polite and respectful. Not given any lame excuses. This tactic has worked so far. I do have a clean record. And around here atleast warnings do not come up when they query your record. Ride like a squid and wear a Tshirt and sandals, give them nothing but attitude and you bet your ass what was going to be a warning turns into a ticket. Ken.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What I noticed attracts cops to me, is speeding. When I don't speed they tend to leave me alone. When I do speed, I get their attention. Cops who ride tend to appreciate a Ducati, but I have a few CHP friends and they pretty much ignore speeders in general. They do pull you over for what they call 'public stupid'. So don't do any 'public stupid' maneuvers and you'll be alright in general.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I was doing 65 in a 45 zone when I passed an unmarked sheriff’s Blazer – over a double yellow line. He pulled over and asked me why I was in such a hurry. I told him that I was enjoying my last free weekend before I left for active duty. (I was telling the truth.) He told me to have a good time but to slow down. Nice guy. I slowed down.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I attention I seem to get has been positive. I was stopped at a four way intersection that was being directed by the CHP, the older officer starts to walk to me, I begin thinking great I'm going to get shit for not have front turn indicators. He gets right next too me and says "must be a duc" and points to the clutch cover.
Then says nice bike and waves my row threw.
Pretty cool I thought.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Here in Albuquerque,NM it has been hit and miss. Sometimes the cops ride on your pipes and sometimes they will pull up next to you and talk with you at a stop light. In general if you are a cool rider and follow the laws and speed limit(within reason) you will be left alone. I would not recommend doing 120mph in a 55 by cop, they tend to get a bit excited about that kind of stuff...

U

·
0 Posts
I used to work for my local Police department. Quit for a tech job, regretting it everyday.

I was pulled over by a motor unit, he was nice enough to give me a warning.

·
Registered
490 Posts
True story... I was riding in Portland, Oregon where I used to live and was stopped for speeding.

Then the officer said, "Yeah, I'm a rider too. I ride a Bandit." I almost laughed outloud (I don't like cops much). Then he said: "Well, you're probably a better rider than me." Amazing.

Another funny thing about that incident is that I had a sticker of an actual size automatic weapon (HK-91) on my gas tank... from a distance it looked somewhat real. The cop looked at that for a long time but made no comment. HAHAHAH!!

I don't know... maybe since I was wearing full protective gear and looked serious, he figured I was at least somewhat safe.

He let me go with a warning. Some cops are very professional... some aren't. I just treat them the way they treat me.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts