Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any part of the cooling system that is prone to failing and causing leaks on the 748?

I have a leak coming from the left side in or near the upper expansion tank. It could be that part itself as it sprays out very slowly on my windscreen while I ride, as well as my helmet visor

I don t believe it s the overflow tank but I could be wrong

thanks guys

SB K content for clicks

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Coolant Expansion Tank Leak

A very common problem on superbikes.

Classic symptoms of a cracked coolant expansion tank that first started with the 916's and continues today. A leak develops at the tank's mold line (parallel to the fork tube) and appears to be caused by fatigue from thermal cycling and vibration.

The main reason that a Ducati superbike coolant tank cracks is that the tank expands as it get hot but there’s not enough clearance around it to allow free expansion in all directions. In particular, there is a rubber grommet that holds the tank in place and presses it tightly against the frame. Because the grommet is somewhat oversized, it causes the hot plastic tank to be compressed by the frame and receive vibration transmitted through the frame.

When you install the replacement tank, trim the rubber grommet to avoid a repeat of this failure condition.

The best way to find the leak is to pressurize it with air with the tank under water. The crack gets contaminated by coolant so reportedly all previous attempts to get a lasting repair have failed. P/N 58510111a, price about $33.

·
Super Moderator
8,248 Posts
As above.. Your coolant expansion tank is most probably cracked.

Changing it yourself is no biggie. You need to remove the tank, velocitystacks and airbox.

//amullo

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Damn, can't get a better and more logical answer than that. Thanks a ton, will be calling dealer

anybody know what the cooling system capacity is on the 748?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As above.. Your coolant expansion tank is most probably cracked.

Changing it yourself is no biggie. You need to remove the tank, velocitystacks and airbox.

//amullo
well, since I gotta partially drain the coolant, I'll just switch over to Engine Ice for my eventual 1st trackda once and for all. Thank god Iron Pony stocks the stuff cuz everywhere wants 7 bucks to ship and 17-20 for a half gallon

i know they don t require novices to do that but i hear that other advanced riders hate you IF you crash and blow coolant onto the track

1 - 5 of 5 Posts