Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point do these fans actually come on? I've never, once, either seen or heard mine come on. The engine temp has come up to 4 bars on the dash, but still, no fans.... Oddity, or are ya'll's bikes the same?

·
Registered
294 Posts
after the fifth bar comes on on your screen <temp>!!!;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hot

At what point do these fans actually come on? I've never, once, either seen or heard mine come on. The engine temp has come up to 4 bars on the dash, but still, no fans.... Oddity, or are ya'll's bikes the same?
It was 102 out and fans did not come on. I was out in traffic for about 2 hours. Temp started to climb if stopped more than 10 min or so. All in all my bike seems to really run on the cool side. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had a similar experience.
My fans haven't come on, despite sitting around in traffic on a few hot days lately.
Has anyone taken them off to save some weight - lot cheaper than carbon and magnesium ...

If this was a race bike, they'd be gone already.

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I wouldn't recommend taking the fans off on a street bike. The one time you do need the cooling fans they won't be there to do their job. Just because you haven't heard them kick on yet doesn't mean they won't at some time.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine have only come on when stuck in traffic on a hot'ish day. But the temp gauge was @ the top light before they started. They only ran for a minute or two and as soon as the temp gauge dropped one down from the top they stopped. Seems a little late to come on but the bike seemed fine. So if you are in a cool climate (not Tamworth though!) or you don't have traffic issues the fans are not necessary. The cooling works fine as long as the bike is above 60ks or so. Personally I rarely do traffic but wouldn't remove them just in case they are needed, If I were racing they'd be gone.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'd be willing to bet Sputniks took his off. :)

I'd leave them on though, I can't see them weighing that much.

BTW, I'm pretty sure if you have the microtek ECU you can change the setting so the fans come on earlier. But the bike doesn't seem to really run that hot so I wouldn't change anything.... my $.02....

I've had a similar experience.
My fans haven't come on, despite sitting around in traffic on a few hot days lately.
Has anyone taken them off to save some weight - lot cheaper than carbon and magnesium ...

If this was a race bike, they'd be gone already.

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers.

·
1,766 Posts
I'd be willing to bet Sputniks took his off. :)

I'd leave them on though, I can't see them weighing that much.

BTW, I'm pretty sure if you have the microtek ECU you can change the setting so the fans come on earlier. But the bike doesn't seem to really run that hot so I wouldn't change anything.... my $.02....
The fans weight 3 pounds. That is why there are sitting on top of the fridge. They were removed before both radiators were replaced with a single "racing" radiator made for 1098. But I don't ride on the streets during business days. If I would commute on a bike I would leave the fans where they were - attached to the radiators.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts