Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my samco hoses. My question: is all coolant created equally? Can I get pepboys coolant and be ok or do I need fancy pants ducati coolant? Also how many gallons should suffice? Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Just got my samco hoses. My question: is all coolant created equally? Can I get pepboys coolant and be ok or do I need fancy pants ducati coolant? Also how many gallons should suffice? Many thanks.
Are you planning on taking it to the track; do you live where the temps get below freezing?

You can use regular 'ol coolant just fine. One gallon is more than enough. Mix at 50-60% distilled water to 40-50% cooalnt; or get pre-mixed. Personally, I like Silkolene Pro Cool. It's propylene glycol as opposed to etylene glycol. It's more effeicient at cooling, not as slick on asphalt and not as toxic to people/pets/mother earth. If you care about that stuff ;)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You should use a motorcycle, aluminum engine specific coolant. Yamacool is excellent, cheap and easy to come by (supposedly the lowest silica content next to Agip). I personally use Agip blue in the Duc and Honda in the dirtbikes, but I always have Yamacool around in case I run out of Honda, which is hard for me to get locally. There are threads on this. Water and water wetter is the way to go on the track. BTW only use distilled H20. Even to flush your system, use distilled.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Mix at the proportions Bella listed but use Amsoil instead;) :)! If you live where it never gets below freezing, a lower percentage of antifreeze is OK and you still gain the lubricating/protection qualities. If you track it or it'll never see freezing, it's not really required at all. Antifreeze offers very very little cooling qualities and any advertisement to that effect is just that. My bikes never had anything but distiller water and waterwetter with never an overheat.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No track for me really. I live in PA so it approaches and occasionally sinks below freezing. Bike I'd garaged though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No track for me really. I live in PA so it approaches and occasionally sinks below freezing. Bike I'd garaged though.
You still need to worry about it freezing up, though, unless you're keeping it in a reliably heated garage. I'd put some sort of anti-freeze in for sure.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You still need to worry about it freezing up, though, unless you're keeping it in a reliably heated garage. I'd put some sort of anti-freeze in for sure.
Oh for sure! So this is what I'm understanding: mix 1/2 gal pure antifreeze with 1/2 gal distilled water and fill in between the min and max lines. Allow bike to warm up on it side stand (on a 749s this elevates the fill cap to the highest point allowing air to escape) after it heats up turn it off and top off coolant.

Did I do ok!? :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh for sure! So this is what I'm understanding: mix 1/2 gal pure antifreeze with 1/2 gal distilled water and fill in between the min and max lines. Allow bike to warm up on it side stand (on a 749s this elevates the fill cap to the highest point allowing air to escape) after it heats up turn it off and top off coolant.

Did I do ok!? :)
Haha, perfect. I'm not familiar with the 749s procedure, but that's exactly what it says to do for my 916. :D

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Another trick you can do (and this applies to cars, trucks, just about anything) is crank it up and let it run/warm up with the radiator cap off. Watch the fluid through the filler neck...when it starts circulating fast the thermostat has opened. You'll know when it happens. Top it off now and put the cap on. Adjust the level through the overflow tank as needed after that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just to clarify a little, propylene is less efficient at cooling than ethylene. However, it is more eco friendly as stated above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts