Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the normal operating temperature for a 2013 Multistrada? I've had my Multi since new and for pretty much all of that time the temp would stay right at 150 degrees. In hot weather traffic situations it might climb higher (as much as about 215 degrees when the fan kicked in) but as soon as I was moving again, it would return to around 150.

In the last 6 months or so things have changed. For example, today I took a ride (about 100 miles) and the temp never got below 160 (air temp was about 80 degrees which is not that warm for Central TX) and was higher much of the time. And I was not riding hard.

I'm concerned about this and wonder if I should be??

Ken

·
Registered
735 Posts
Don’t be concerned. With over 100,000 miles on my ‘12, water temp ‘usually’ run around a few degrees lower then ambient temp +100. And, if it’s hot, and your running behind a vehicle, temps will climb quickly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
158 under 80 degrees here in Georgia-2012 and 2017, both run about the same while moving. Maybe 164 above 80 degrees while moving.

·
Registered
893 Posts
One thing that's often overlooked is that both oil and coolant radiator fin damage occurs from road debris. Without protection, the fins get bent over, air flow through the radiator is reduced, so coolant and oil temperatures rise over time.

After carefully straightening the bent fins, place aluminum window screening over the radiators to prevent future damage. Screen material with larger openings won't stop small pebbles. Don't worry, the inexpensive window screen material won't significantly reduce airflow. Do it on a new bike before damage occurs.

In the Ducati system, the coolant temperature sensor tells the ECU to stop warm-up fuel enrichment at around 150°F — so the engine coolant should be above this value. An engine should be at its design operating temperature to make good power. Higher temperatures are more thermodynamically efficient, but run at too high a temperature and you exceed the thermal expansion design basis of critical components and raise fuel octane requirements.

Ducati fuel injected motorcycles use engine management computers incorporating a coolant temperature sensor to retard the engine ignition timing to compensate for any increase in octane requirement when operating temperatures increase. Retard the timing and you reduce power.

The radiator, water pump flow rate and hose diameters are all sized by the Ducati coolant system engineers to achieve an engine coolant temperature of about 176°F, when moving at a constant highway speed with 85°F air flowing through the radiator.

Duane Mitchell reported that he ran a series of tests to establish optimum running temp for a race bike and found that 185ºF is perfect. Over that, they lose horsepower fairly quickly (down about 15 hp at 212ºF) and below that the same (down about 6 hp at 150ºF).

So cooler is not better from an operating perspective. YOU may feel more comfortable, but the bike is not operating at an optimum point on its fuel map at 150°F.

·
Registered
818 Posts
High temp warning hits at 250F, so I wouldn't be worried about the temps from that standpoint.

Coolant topped off? When was the last change/flush? Recommended for the '13 is every 4 years or 30k miles.

·
Registered
91 Posts
High temp warning hits at 250F, so I wouldn't be worried about the temps from that standpoint.

Coolant topped off? When was the last change/flush? Recommended for the '13 is every 4 years or 30k miles.
Thanks, I was wondering where the upper limit is.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reading the responses, I guess I shouldn't be concerned.

Coolant was changed at the 15k Desmo service about a year ago.

Thanks for your wisdom :)

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
For a little more info, the thermostat set point is 150F. So, when it’s cool out, it will most likely ride right at 150F. Not until environmental conditions increase to the point of constantly needing the radiator will the temp go above 150F. No need to worry unless the bike can no longer keep up with thermostat open and fans on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is the normal operating temperature for a 2013 Multistrada? I've had my Multi since new and for pretty much all of that time the temp would stay right at 150 degrees. In hot weather traffic situations it might climb higher (as much as about 215 degrees when the fan kicked in) but as soon as I was moving again, it would return to around 150.

In the last 6 months or so things have changed. For example, today I took a ride (about 100 miles) and the temp never got below 160 (air temp was about 80 degrees which is not that warm for Central TX) and was higher much of the time. And I was not riding hard.

I'm concerned about this and wonder if I should be??

Ken

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2015 Multistrada S and took it back to the dealer; thinking the fan wasn't working. They just informed me that it's not supposed to kick on until 215 degrees! That seems pretty crazy to me. That seat and my legs were cooking at about 200. Doesn't seem like it would be particularly healthy for all those components to get that hot under the seat. Seems like having a thermostat that kicks in around 185 would make sense. I was thinking I should sell my old BMW. Now I guess I might have to keep it around for hotter days? Maybe installing a slightly cooler thermostat is a possibility?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts