Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know offhand the equivalent replacement for the coolant temperature sensor (the EFI unit, not the fan switch)?

Also does it make sense it is the culprit if I intermittently (but regularly) get sputtering, lack of power, and stalling? Happens when cold or hot but not all the time. I believe it's to blame because wiggling the connector or disconnecting the switch will recreate the issue (I already tried cleaning the contacts and zip tying the connector tight but the issue remains).

The last time it failed it behaved differently so I'm not 100% sure it's the problem. When it last crapped out the bike would run normally until the temperature went over 120-140, then it would cut out under acceleration. Didn't stall or sputter the same way. It's also afterfiring significantly on overrun, with the odd backfire through the intake.

I've already changed the fuel filter, lines and o-rings to rule them out.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is only one sensor on the 916 though - it controls the EFI mixture through the ECU. The temperature probe is not the same design, it has a single wire plug. I wonder if the part will function the same way in the 916? Last time I just got a used replacement from Gotham that worked fine for the last three years.

PS I looked up the specs on that Bosch part and they don't jive with the factory resistance specs...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some digging... The 996 part number (which will work with a 916) is the same as the ST2-3-4... So it should do the trick.

I'm going to NAPA tomorrow to grab one, and a pair of fuel pump relays to be safe. Wish me luck.

·
Mr Leakered
8,837 Posts
Interesting. The NAPA units seemed to have a good effect on throttle response when it has been cold out (in the 30s F). They also help manage hot coolant temps better if I don't notice it.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It would make sense - it's just a thermal resistor that informs the ECU what the engine temperature is, so that it can adjust the fuel mixture accordingly (and the ignition timing I think). If the resistance is slightly different (which it appears to be) the fuel mix would be slightly different at certain ranges - in your case, it's an improvement.

Hopefully it will be the same in my case :)

You also benefit from lower fan operating range as the circuit is integrated, unfortunately on the 9X6 the fan switch is a seperate circuit that can't be modified without adding a manual switch into the mix.

·
Mr Leakered
8,837 Posts
Yes. The low end response is so much better that I didn't need to block off the rad this winter. The upper end feels great.

I've never had much issue from where the fan would turn on by itself, but always felt better with it turning on at a lower point. I've had a scabbed on fan switch for a few years now. A straight run from the batt without a fuse. I need to address that one of these days.

I'm interested in your experience also (not to mention a bit envious of the 916 to start with =) ).

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll post my results when it's done... I'm swapping it out this evening, but it will take me a few days before I can test ride it (weather + work will prevent me from going on a decent ride for a few days).

The only thing that concerns me is the length of the new probe - you guys don't have any issues with it fitting into the thermostat?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ts 5520

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It slotted in fine, but I had a hard time starting it right after installation. After a few tries it caught and ran perfectly. I shut it off and restarted a few times to make sure it was ok, seemed fine after that initial hesitation.

I wonder if there is a wiring fault; the plug gets 5 volts as it should and I can't find any issue with the plug or connector itself, nor anything along the wiring that is outside the main harness. The housing/ground bolt was slightly loose so I tightened it, but that didn't prevent that bout of hard starting.

So now I need to take it for a long test drive and see. Yesterday it only started acting up after 20 miles so I'll need to go for a decent jaunt before I'll know.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope. That didn't help. In fact it seems worse now. Cold start is better but once it gets up to temperature it goes bonkers. I'm going crazy with this damn problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts