Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen a significant improvement in temperature levels following a coolant system flush? After the ST4s rebirth she runs around 4/5 Deg C higher

·
Registered
61 Posts
The specific heat capacity of “anti-freeze” is less than that of water and most cooling systems are based around a 50:50 anti-freeze to water mix. Therefore, all other things being equal, a cooling system will run hotter on a fully open thermostat if the ratio of anti-freeze to water is higher than specified. Without doing the exact math, a 4 or 5 deg. F swing for a 25:75 anti-freeze to water mix is probably about right. So, what ratio mix did you use on the refill? Then there's the question about whether it matters....

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Mark, I used 100% as I always have. The change has been experienced with the same coolant.

·
Super Moderator
4,671 Posts
I generally flush my system every two seasons. I've used Engine Ice, Prestone, Honda stuff...I've never noticed a significant change in the operation temperatures. How was the quality of the old coolant? Any gunk or debris?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Recently I had a overheating issue due to a blocked radiator. It blocked up due to two different coolants reacting and forming a gel . I flushed the motor with CLR and had the radiator professionally flushed. Although the initial flush ( I was touring at the time) was using drain cleaner. The whole saga started with a pin hole leak in the top hose.
This meant purchasing coolant from gas stations.
In retrospect I should have used plain water.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I change mine every valve adjustment which is yearly so I cant answer your question.
But I've always been told that a mixture of water ( 50/50 ratio ) results in better heat transfer than straight antifreeze.
Curious what difference you would see using this method.
I use Peak Global Lifetime which is free of silicants etc. which will damaged your water pump seals. There are of course other silicant free antifreeze brands on the market.

Paul 03 ST4s, 15 675RX, 96 ZX11, 76 KZ900LTD B-1, 72 SL125

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys, My DNA tells me based on no knowlege I can recall, not to put water anywhere near my coolant system.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Antifreeze has anti corrosion inhibitors as you know so a little distilled water with that oxygen atom wont hurt your engine in your lifetime. If your not riding in hot weather you'll be fine using 100% antifreeze. Have you ever tried Evan's Waterless Coolant?
That might be your ticket.

·
Registered
309 Posts
When you say 100 percent do you mean pre-mix or concentrate. If you simply bought a 5L bottle of coolant it's probably pre-mix and is probably mixed at 30-50 percent glycol. No one runs 100 percent glycol and doing so will overheat your motor. Water has the highest heat transfer, any additives serve to lower it's efficiency hence why no manufacturers recommend more than 50 percent glycol.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just googled silkolene pro cool, it's a 50 percent propylene glycol mix with distilled water.
LOL, Science of unintended consequences.

So i don't need the -40 DeG C. If I diluted this by 50 % would i get the -10 or so i need and better cooling? Or is there another product out there?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I can't remember what the specs in the manual are, it's usually 30 or 50 percent glycol.
What your running will be fine but if you wanted you could dillute to a 30 percent ratio with distilled water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I change mine every valve adjustment which is yearly so I cant answer your question.
But I've always been told that a mixture of water ( 50/50 ratio ) results in better heat transfer than straight antifreeze.
Curious what difference you would see using this method.
I use Peak Global Lifetime which is free of silicants etc. which will damaged your water pump seals. There are of course other silicant free antifreeze brands on the market.

I searched Peaks LL, ethylene glycol based. Is Propylene Glycol better?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ethylene is better it appears. Peak has very good customer service in my experience and have people who can answer any question you may have. I'm sold on them. Have 47K on ST4s and 117K on ZX11.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I believe Ethylene/water blend is better for cooling than the Propylene G. equivalent. However, Propylene G is better for the environment if you had a spill. It's non-toxic.

Ever brush your teeth or have salad dressing? Prop. Glycol is used a a sweetner...yummy stuff! Not!

·
Registered
483 Posts
The best coolant is pure water, it has the highest specific heat capacity.
A 50/50 glycol / water mix has just over 80% the specific heat capacity of pure water whilst 100% glycol has just 50 to 60%... i.e. as soon as you start adding a glycol you lower the specific heat capacity of the medium. QED: Evans is utter tosh & the market has been duped.
You don´t need to add more anti-freeze than you need to protect the engine in the worst case cold weather in your region but you should add a sufficient amount for corrosion protection. Anyone living in an area where it doesn´t go sub zero should consider trace corrosion inhibitors
There´s a reason most racers choose pure distilled water only, it maximizes the efficiency of the cooling system for a given volume of coolant & they´re regularly performing engine maintenance / rebuilds so corrosion protection is low on the priority list.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was informed that Glycol is quite corrosive so it is always accompanied by corrosion inhibitors. The only places that actually require Glycol are very cold where you need to prevent freezing so if you live in a hot environment the best thing to use is water with a corrosion inhibitor but no Glycol, or even straight water.
However I believe in using good quality coolant with all the stuff but the time they recommend to change it must be either adhered to or halved because that's when the corrosion inhibitors start to break down, leaving the Glycol to eat your engine. Thus a coolant change is good to do about once a year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts