Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Could somebody explain this to me.

My mechanic said that my water pump is probably fine, but anyway, coolant is leaking into the engine and my oil is becoming murky.

How does this happen?

Previously, I posted a question asking why my bike had been running rough-- I thought it was a fuel problem, or maybe that some rain water had gotten into my gas tank.

Apparently, it's coolant.

Anybody can help explain this? THANKS.

Relatively new owner of a 1996 916 SP3

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
If water is getting into the motor and it's not coming from the tank, then it's probably a head gasket. If you are capable of doing your own maintenance and the head isn't warped, its not a big deal. If you need to take it to the dealer, you might as well to a valve adjustment/belt replacement at the same time and you're talking some serious coin. Probably $1500 by the time you get out of there.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I am asking is how coolant can go into the engine.

It felt like my air/fuel was off and the bike backfired a bit, but actually it was water in the engine... and it's not from my tank.

Basically, I just don't understand the mechanics of this.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Could be head gasket as mentioned above but I believe the water pump seal is a known 'weak spot' so could be the problem. If so it should be easier/cheaper to fix than head gaskets.

·
Registered
173 Posts
your cooling system uses water. its supposed to be separated from the engine. when you get a leak in a seal or gasket, the water gets into places its not supposed to be. look for a cooling system diagram to see all the places this is possible.

·
Registered
771 Posts
your cooling system uses water. its supposed to be separated from the engine. when you get a leak in a seal or gasket, the water gets into places its not supposed to be. look for a cooling system diagram to see all the places this is possible.
+1, smaller words next time though. :D

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The shaft that drives the water pump passes through the engine itself, that area where the oil sloshes around. The pump and the oil is seperated by a ceramic washer seal type of thing. In your case it is passed its use by date and needs to be replaced. Drain the oil, remove the oil filter, drain the remaining coolent, remove the casing and water pump - replace worn out part and put it all back together again. With the right tools about a 4 hour job if you take your time. Or ask the dealer to replace and cough up the dollars.

ATGATT - my preaching over

SF

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
eay enough to find out, do a leak down test on the cylinders and a pressure test on the coolent system. If it passes those two then look at the ceramic seal on the water pump as the main culprit.

SF

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot guys. I am going to get to the bottom of this and will let you know.

I'd experienced some nasty back-fires and it stalled a few times at low revs.

At any rate, I am also doing clutch plates and brakes (as well), just to get the whole thing up to snuff.

I've got a good mechanic to look through all the fuel mapping and chip crap, which I know nothing about.

Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. I am going to get to the bottom of this and will let you know.

I'd experienced some nasty back-fires and it stalled a few times at low revs.

At any rate, I am also doing clutch plates and brakes (as well), just to get the whole thing up to snuff.

I've got a good mechanic to look through all the fuel mapping and chip crap, which I know nothing about.

Thanks for advice.
unfortunately the poor running can be an indicator of a blown headgasket. i would make sure you arent using the same mechanic that told you its probably nothing

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I found out what part of the problem was. It was the seal on the water pump. It had degraded.

However, I rode the bike 7 kms and had loss of power thru about 3,500-4500rpm and also it stalled 3 times.

At first I thought it was a fuel delivery problem but now I am not so sure. I've just replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump joint (white).

It's got new fluids and been flushed a few times.

Fuel mapping has been checked and wasn't too far off.

Am using a new mechanic now (Ducati Authorised Service) so I feel more confident with them./... should know what loss of power problem is soon.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, So it was two things!

Water Pump Seal
and
The Fuel Pressure Regulator!

Those two items screwed me up!

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,995 Posts
Where does the fuel pressure regulator live?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No idea... I just ride the things. ahhaha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts