Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any words of wisdom on changing out all my hoses on my St3?
I have Samson hoses and there clamps.
Necessary to remove the right side fairings at all or can I get to everything from the left side? Any other things to know about?

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Right side has the radiator cap and the small hose from the reserve tank. I recommend removing the right side fairings also. It helps to put it on the side stand and squeeze the hoses to get all of the air out when refilling the system. That puts the radiator cap at the hight point of the system so air can escape. good luck. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Yup, Side stand for when you refill + burp.

Also, look CLOSELY at the fittings on the side of the cylinder jugs. ST2 and my ST4s have an "extra" allen bolt on each (V & H) that have a copper crush washer, and do nothing else. These are bleed fittings to bleed air out while filling.

Not sure if any shop/Clymer/Haynes/? manuals mentions these, but I sure found them handy!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I found corrosion on the water pump inlet so replaced the cover and gasket.

Absolutely use the air bleed screws, I think there were 3 on my st4.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yup, Side stand for when you refill + burp.

Also, look CLOSELY at the fittings on the side of the cylinder jugs. ST2 and my ST4s have an "extra" allen bolt on each (V & H) that have a copper crush washer, and do nothing else. These are bleed fittings to bleed air out while filling.

Not sure if any shop/Clymer/Haynes/? manuals mentions these, but I sure found them handy!
Anybody mind posting a picture of these? I just changed my coolant and would definitely like to speed up the process next time around!

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
8,298 Posts
I would remove the right side fairing and check the hoses going to/from the coolant tank for buildup. My tank started getting some crap in the bottom which could have plugged up a hose.

BTW, I don't believe there are air bleeds on the ST3. Just fill and burp. It's pretty darn easy.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Are you certain it is the hoses that are leaking? I had a small, intermittent leak and could never find anything that was wet. So I bought a new radiator cap. When I took the old cap off it was obviously the culprit as there was dried blue residue (Engine Ice) around the radiator neck. I cleaned all the mating surfaces with a Scotch-Brite and installed the new cap. No more leak.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not positive where the leak was. very minor. Hoses are 11 years old. I replaced them all last night, easy job.
I did not remove the right side fairing however. When I have more time i will. Able to get to the coolant bottle by removing the top black cover by the gages. I started riding this morning temp went up high and fast, must not of had all coolant into radiator. added at least a quart and a half pumped hoses, temp holding around 160-175 F now. Bottle level looks good.
Left cover off, will keep a eye on it a while , I think I'm good.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Did you initially fill thru the radiator? As with ANY vehicle, you must fill thru the top of the radiator first, and then do the coolant expansion reservoir last.

If you just fill the coolant bottle, there's no way to get a proper fill into the engine. The coolant exp. tank merely "tops up" the radiator when the system cools down. There are check valves in the rad. cap that allow this.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Anybody mind posting a picture of these? I just changed my coolant and would definitely like to speed up the process next time around!
Look at this pic. Red line ends at the extra bolt. There are 3 bolts (on the ST2) that hold the flange to the head. This is the "extra, does nothing" bolt.

I also read thru the coolant change procedure. It does NOT mention using these during refill. Dunno why!

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I too changed the hoses last year. Remember to re tighten the hose after a month or so. I had that antifreeze smell again and found a hose weeping. tightened on the clamps and all has been good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts