Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 is leaking coolant. Only when warmed up. Appears to be the water pump cover, where the hose attachment fitting is pressed in. I assume it will need a new water pump cover. Is this a typical failure?

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
First one I've read of. Most of the coolant leaks that folks have reported have been from the hose connectors.

Reactions: garryricken

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
I wouldn't say it's a typical failure. Most leaks (these days) are fixed by checking junctions. You may have an outlier problem. Prior to the 2013 release, there were very serious issues resulting from corrosion due to a problem with coolant supplied by the factory. The leaks that engendered were internal; leaking into the combustion chamber. That problem was resolved the better part of three years ago and doesn't sound like it is related to your issue.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Don't panic. Had the same thing happen. It may not be leaking from where it appears to be. I went around the bike and tightened up some hose clamps, and the leak magically went away. :)

The twin motor just shakes things loose. Try that first. Good luck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't panic. Had the same thing happen. It may not be leaking from where it appears to be. I went around the bike and tightened up some hose clamps, and the leak magically went away. :)

The twin motor just shakes things loose. Try that first. Good luck.
Will do, thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't say it's a typical failure. Most leaks (these days) are fixed by checking junctions. You may have an outlier problem. Prior to the 2013 release, there were very serious issues resulting from corrosion due to a problem with coolant supplied by the factory. The leaks that engendered were internal; leaking into the combustion chamber. That problem was resolved the better part of three years ago and doesn't sound like it is related to your issue.
My bike is 2014. Coolant seems to be orange in color. I am not affected by the corrosion issues,yes?

·
Registered
532 Posts
My bike is 2014. Coolant seems to be orange in color. I am not affected by the corrosion issues,yes?
No that was a 2012 thing. Tighten all the hose clamps and a month later do it again, mine went through this during the first 5K.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had my coolant over flow tank replace it was leaking a little bit but I keep see a small amount on the flood a few drops

I had mine replaced too. The tank was leaking where the threaded insert was. It had a small crack. It stopped leaking when the fluid reached a level below the thread. Took me a long time to find out. Had spent months trying to tighten the hoses but of course this didn't help in my case.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
Check the teeny tiny nipple on the horizontal cylinder, I had a puddle form there and went to the trouble of switching the clamp from the tank to the nipple ( I thought that I tightened the clamp too tight and wore it out.
It is a hard to reach couple of spots and with sausage fingers makes it worse.(switching clamps unnecessarily)

Nope still leaked.
Sos I loosened the clamp off again and did a quarter turn on the actual nipple,
Fixed!!
There is a gasket there sos it can take some tightening up.
Scary that we all get paranoid about corrosive heads ...

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
No that was a 2012 thing. Tighten all the hose clamps and a month later do it again, mine went through this during the first 5K.
2010 thru 2012 thing. Both heads, all valves, and vertical cylinder replaced on my '10.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I need to top it up. 2014, orange factory coolant. It's currently at the low line of the expansion tank.
What would be a better option:
Water, until I order some Duc coolant
Or some typical automotive green coolant?
No luck with tightening hoses. It really looks to be coming from the pipe that's pressed into the pump cover. To the dealer I guess.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turned out to be leaking where the pipe is pressed into the cover. Dealer claimed to have never seen that fail before. Hopefully this cover fares better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts