Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody. After a long, cold winter I have decided to start my bike. After I turned the ignition key on the sound wasn't the common one. The bike did start, but I observed a coolant dripping down front the front bottom part of the fairing.
Day later did the same procedure, the sound was normal, but the leaking didn't stop. One fact thought, the bike was in the garage during the winter and the temperatures dropped to -40C.Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
What coolant was in the system? Hopefully nothing is cracked from freezing. Age of hoses? Tension on hose clamps? Loose connection somewhere? Pull any fairings and look for the drip source. I use a small flashlight to snoop around my bike as there are lots of places you can't see into with just a normal light source.

·
Registered
06' ST3
437 Posts
Best thing to do is strip the fairing and start investigating. Once you can pinpoint where the leak is, should be fairly straight-forward to repair.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In the picture is my automotive coolant pressure tester converted to my Ducati coolant pressure tester.Under the radiator cap I inserted a large flat washer with a cutout to resemble "C" to permit pressure to pass from the pump past the seal of the cap into the system.
Pump it up to 1 bar then have a beer. This will show any visible exterior leaks if the pressure drop it will drip on the floor. If it leaks internally,,,,,have another beer.
Ride On
Dave
Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Fuel line Vehicle
Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Fuel line Vehicle

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Both of my former ST3's '04&'05 would leak from the radiator hoses during the winter, Just snug up the hose clamps.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,608 Posts
One fact thought, the bike was in the garage during the winter and the temperatures dropped to -40C.Thank you!!!!
Holy crap that's cold! Did you know that -40C is the same as -40F? It's where the scales cross. With those temps, I hope you keep a close eye on that anti-freeze/coolant viability.

Both of my former ST3's '04&'05 would leak from the radiator hoses during the winter, Just snug up the hose clamps.
And I now own the '05. Have for a while now. It lives in my attached garage that doesn't freeze but has been known to get pretty close. The first year I had it it leaked, but then after tightening all the clamps, it hasn't leaked since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts