Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed coolant drops around my battery box after a 14hr day of touring on my 1098. I had just put it back together after winter maintenance including spark plug changes where I moved the radiator to the side. After putting it back together that was my first ride, and it never got hot so it must not have leaked much.

I started the bike in the garage after cleaning it and I didn’t see anything else leak out.

What could have caused this? Could me have moving the radiator caused a tiny bit to spill and then land on the battery box later? I also hit some hard bumps on the tour and came out of my seat once or twice.

Should I just keep riding if it doesn’t seem like any more is coming out? Not sure what to do... thanks

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Clean it and watch it. I wouldn’t worry about it. I assume your coolant level is still ok ?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
1098 can split the radiators in the top or second tube under the lh mount. run it until the fan comes on and see if it's squirting anywhere.

they can also drop coolant when cold, then not when hot, which sounds wacky. make sure all the clamps are firm without being crazy tight.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1098 can split the radiators in the top or second tube under the lh mount. run it until the fan comes on and see if it's squirting anywhere.

they can also drop coolant when cold, then not when hot, which sounds wacky. make sure all the clamps are firm without being crazy tight.
It was very cold that day... it was probably the coldest I’ve ever been in my life actually. It was supposed to be in the 50s and sunny and that’s how I dressed. We ended up being just a hair above freezing in the rain with a high chance of snow and ice on the way home and I was basically dressed for summer. It was miserable, but that’s part of the motorcycle lifestyle I guess and I’ll take the bad with the good.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
sounds like when you moved the rad a bit leaked from the overflow outlet. (bet you disconnected it to move the rad to the left):)

·
Registered
2 Posts
stuff when it's hot expand and when it's cold they come back to normal. this process over time can lead to cracks, which is not much you can do, maybe then can sovle your question

1 - 7 of 7 Posts