Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to take my Multistrada out for my first track experience. The rules require non-glycol coolant...

Here are a couple of questions:

1) Is the typical stock coolant "non-glycol"?

2) Is there any way to tell what if the coolant in my bike is "non-glycol"?

3) Is there a good permanent "non-glycol" coolant that can be kept in the bike for all usage (including sub-freezing weather and storage?

4) How hard is it to change the coolant?

Any tips will be appreciated!

Kim

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Your coolant is glycol based. You can run straight distilled water. If you want, you can add water wetter. There isn't really a good option for year round (i.e. sub-freezing). You can drain out your existing coolant through the drain bolt on the bottom of the water pump. This will get the majority out. Also, you will want to drain out the overflow bottle. Fill from the radiator cap and then the overflow bottle.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you have the stock coolant in the engine now, it's regular antifreeze, which as t-bills pointed out is (ethylene) glycol based. For the track, I use Water Wetter in my 848, about 1 oz per quart of distilled water, plus a couple extra dashes for good measure. Water Wetter doesn't work in freezing temperatures though, so I have to flush the antifreeze coolant out in the Spring and add it back during the late-Fall time frame.

I believe Engine Ice can be used year round (down to -26F, according to their website), but you should check with your trackday organizer; some organizations allow Engine Ice and others do not. Last year a bike with Engine Ice at one of the tracks I ride had a bad coolant leak and the track was closed quite a while for the clean up. I think they removed Engine Ice as an approved trackday coolant after that... definitely check!

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you're hitting HPR, you have limited choices:

Water cooled motorcycles may use only the following coolants:
Water
Water and Redline Water Wetter
Water and Royal Purple Ice
Water and Motul Mo Cool
Water and ethyl alcohol

Drain and replace, easy enough. You'll have a good time, I've always wanted to run my street bikes out there :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the advice --- and thanks Munchdog for the local intel.... HPR is the destination, as soon as I get my gear together!

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Although it's been 15 years now since my last professional trip to a track (testing/racing Indycars) I know of no coolants that are accepted universally. At all the places we went it was water with maybe a splash of water wetter and/or water pump lube added. No Evans NPG (propylene glycol), no Engine Ice, etc.

What I have a hard time grasping is the lack of info such basic info being distributed by promoters/sanctioning bodies/tracks. It's 2018. This should be in the FAQ of every site/page involved in track events. If ABC Track Junkies rents DEF Motorsport Park for a track day BOTH entities should have what is allowed posted prominently where ever the 'track prep' list is. If the same group rents GHI International Raceway and they allow water and monkey spit, BOTH entities should explicitly say so.

Mini-rant done, I'd just go with water and a bit of pump lube and not have to worry any further.

·
Registered
108 Posts
every club has different rules. My club allows engine ice and can be left in bike year round. Another club that I will race with sometimes doesn't allow engine ice but does allow water wetter.

I run distilled water, makes it easy. Just drain it when season is over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts