Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, being mostly a newbie with these ST2 bikes, I started the bike up today after a few week absence and after I shut her off there was coolant coming out of the hose that is attached to the bottom of the fairing. I just need to know if this is normal or not. Its a 1998 ST2.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Nope, that is not normal. It is possible that you have a small leak on one of the hoses and it is collecting on the fairing and leaking out there. I would remove the left lower and tighten up all of the hose clamps and see if you can spot the problem.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had the right side off already but did not see anything running down the fairing. I will remove the left side too since I'll need to do it before I bring it in for my valve check in spring.

Edit: I feel like Captain Obvious should be smacking me in the head. Ran it to 171 deg and saw it dripping from the lower radiator area. Duh. Note to self: check the obvious first.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
The most common leak from our ST machines seems to be the upper radiator hose, right at the radiator. Feel carefully thru the left air conveyor (air vent in the mid fairing), and see if there's wetness from coolant up there.

I've even seen a brand new one dripping on the carpeting at the dealership, back in the day.

Both of my machines have leaked from here. Simple tightening of the hose clamp was all that was needed.

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
This thread is timely, as I am dealing with this seepage issue again. myself.

I retightened the offending clamps and stopped the leaks at all but one location. I tightened that one more still and will recheck it again later.

In the process of looking things over though, I found the hose from the vertical head to the thermostat split out at the t-stat end. :( Oddly enough this one wasn't leaking!

I checked the equivalent parts sticky for hoses, no luck. DucatiWiki.net seems to be FUBAR, but I could swear I read here somewhere about substitute Napa hose numbers. Does anyone remember where that might have been?

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hijack away! The Samco hoses are excessively expensive so Id be more than happy to find another option myself.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Sorry, but the only hoses that I am aware of is Duc, Samco, and desmotimes for the ST4 and ST4s only. LT was trying to get a second batch, but I don't think he got enough folks. I believe that LT's kit was the least expensive at $160 for all the hoses and clamps. It still amounted to a very small bag of parts. Although, the silicone hoses were very high quality and should last several lifetimes.

I really doubt that there are automotive equivalents for our bikes given some of the hose shapes. You might be able to hand cut a couple of the simpler hoses from longer ones? Definitely a couple of them would be difficult if not impossible.

I do have a set of hoses that have only 9k on them. They are about 16yrs old now and fit an ST4. But, if any one thinks that they might work, lemme know? They looked good, but I never saw them in action.

Have a good one.

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
Looking through my shop notebook I found the hose numbers. I can't think of where I could have gotten them except here. Anyway, here's what I wrote down:

ST3 coolant hoses Napa # .
Two are cut for a total of six hoses.

I'll run those numbers past my local Napa store and see if they're good part numbers. If so maybe their parts catalog has pictures. :)

Edit: Napa's on line parts search shows them to be good numbers (preceded by NBH) and even has pictures. Next step would be to have them in hand to compare to stock hoses I guess.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
This thread is timely, as I am dealing with this seepage issue again. myself.

I retightened the offending clamps and stopped the leaks at all but one location. I tightened that one more still and will recheck it again later.

In the process of looking things over though, I found the hose from the vertical head to the thermostat split out at the t-stat end. :( Oddly enough this one wasn't leaking!

I checked the equivalent parts sticky for hoses, no luck. DucatiWiki.net seems to be FUBAR, but I could swear I read here somewhere about substitute Napa hose numbers. Does anyone remember where that might have been?

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking.
I'm not familiar with ST3'S, but the hose from the vertical head on my ST2 goes to the water pump and looks to be just a simple 3/4 heater hose that you could easily replace from a car. The other one goes to the top of the radiator and is bigger diameter, probably 1"

Craig

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,684 Posts
Looking through my shop notebook I found the hose numbers. I can't think of where I could have gotten them except here. Anyway, here's what I wrote down:

I'll run those numbers past my local Napa store and see if they're good part numbers. If so maybe their parts catalog has pictures. :)

Edit: Napa's on line parts search shows them to be good numbers (preceded by NBH) and even has pictures. Next step would be to have them in hand to compare to stock hoses I guess.
If we can confirm this, and it isn't there already, let's add this info to the Equivalent Parts sticky.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts

Okay, I'll shut up now. :grin2:

That's really cool. Good luck!

Have a good one.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well, we took care of the ST3 question, but what about the original question regarding an ST2? The discussion got kind of off the original topic. :wink2:

And, since Speedysst is a Newbie, Mylers in Utah will repair and pressure test for about $80.00, if needed. Used radiators are iffy, and you don't even want to know how much a new one costs!

http://motorcycleradiators.com

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I found the leak but its at a point where the hose seems to be swelling a bit. Its a very simple curved hose so maybe I can bring it to NAPA and match it up with the curve from a different hose. Oh, and you're right. I dont want to know how much a new one is especially after looking up the price of a new starter from Ducati Omaha.

EDIT: A search of ebay revealed new reinforced hose kit for ST2 from AS3 performance and the total cost would be around $130. Anyone ever hear of AS3?

·
Registered
494 Posts
As I recall, my Samco kit was a tad over$200.00 and included new house clamps. FWIW. You pays your money, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts