Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ducati says to swap coolant every 15,000 miles. Really? The new propylene coolant suppose to good for 5 yrs. any comments. My bike? '12 MTS.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,892 Posts
Stick to the coolant type and change interval recommended by Ducati

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ducati says use AGIP Permanent Special, which is an ethylene glycol coolant and I have to order it. The new propylene glycol is supposedly superior and real easy to get (Peak Global) anywhere.

So....what gives here? Any 'coolant' chemistry experts on board?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link. So, there is no benefit of the prop glycol coolant for my canyon carving + touring MTS. With that said....is all ethyl glycol coolant? If the bottle says 'safe for aluminum engines/etc' but it is not AGIP perm Special, which is a EGC, I should be OK, right?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ducati says use AGIP Permanent Special, which is an ethylene glycol coolant and I have to order it. The new propylene glycol is supposedly superior and real easy to get (Peak Global) anywhere.

So....what gives here? Any 'coolant' chemistry experts on board?
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the new propylene glycol is non-toxic (unlike the ethylene) to cats, dogs, & man if your bike spills it somewhere. Not that I often take a drink from the road myself.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,892 Posts
Biggest problem with glycol is it's as slippery as lawyers tongue so if it leaks on the rear tyre then skiddooo....
Some types of non glycol are non slippery (and approved for racing)
I use Nulon R45 as I don't need anti freeze and it's the non slippery type
Ultra Cool - Nulon Products Australia

Reactions: cb4265

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
Maybe not a popular thing to say here, but I really try to not overthink this stuff. It's an engine, it makes heat and has a aluminum cooling circuit and the same requirements as any other modern liquid cooled automotive application. Use any appropriate coolant (aluminum engine and radiator). I use Engine Ice now because it works well and is non toxic, but long before that used whatever was available when I was doing the work. I like the 50/50 pre mix stuff for the simplicity.

Engine Ice is Propylene Glycol. I don't swear by it or have any problems with it. It's coolant, it's safe for our engines, it works. I do feel the bike may run a bit cooler, but it isn't dramatic. It still roasts your ass in traffic, but does seem to maybe run 5 or so degrees cooler at speed than it did with regular coolant. I will probably continue to use it if I can find it without too much fuss. Most motorcycle shops carry it. I don't use it to extend my change intervals. I still replace the coolant. In my case I do it every other valve inspect, or 12K miles, along with the belts.

Reactions: jduke

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Changed coolant today and......the stuff that came out of the bike looked/smelled like it had just come out of the bottle! The coolant is 14 months old and has 21,000 miles on it (yeah, I rode that much in one year) and while I consider it a waste of time, changing it, I learned something.

1) there is no need to change it after 21,000 miles. My next change will be alot longer, mileage wise.
2) after doing research on 'coolant', it aint rocket science. The impt 'spec' is ASTM 4340, which is specifically for aluminum heads/engines. This spec also mentions cavitation, which is what killed the early MTS heads.

FWIW....I used Peak Global.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just stick with what the schedule says. Coolant is cheap so no need to try to extend.
I use agip and like it myself...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts