Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I ride my '02 ST4s I smell the distinct odor of anti-freeze. I noticed this after replacing the coolant hoses and thought maybe I had spilled some on the engine/exhaust/radiators.

I have hosed the bike off several times and searched for leaks to no avail.

Today I removed the fairings to have another look and hook up a pressure tester to check it statically for leaks.

This is when I noticed that the little plastic cap on the reservoir did not seem to function correctly.
In my (feeble) mind this cap should let air into the tank but prevent pressure from escaping the system. I can blow and suck this cap by mouth and have no resistance either way Also noticed that the white floating "seal" is distorted and won't seal any way.

Is this cap not functioning correctly and is there a replacement available from another $ource besides Ducati?
Ride On
Dave

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The objective of this forum is to share information is it not?

Do I have bad breath or something? Does my mommy dress me funny?

After twelve days I got zero replies to my question about radiator caps so I'll answer it my self.

I just received my box-o-parts and tested the small cap for the reservoir and the results are that the small cap is indeed a check valve letting outside air into the tank but holding pressure in the tank as needed.

So my OEM reservoir cap was indeed defective and has been replaced.

However while waiting for my parts I looked closer and found a leak, described in my latest thread on this forum "Persistent Coolant Leak".

Maybe someone has an idea about this! I'm not putting the body work back on until this problem is resolved so I would appreciate some help.

Thanks
Ride On
Dave

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Glad you resolved the issue of the reservoir cap. It essentially is open to atmosphere with the little hole on top and the foam in the neck of the reservoir.

I read your other post re the leak. Try to swap out the offending new hoses for the old ones that didn't leak. If a good result, then something amiss with the new hoses. Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts