Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
Great nostalgic video. What was Fast Freddie on, 500cc 2 stroke?

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Spencer was on an `84 NSR500 V-4 two-stroke. Interesting bike, it had the fuel tank below the engine with expansion chambers above. The idea was a low center of gravity. The bike won 4 races, a testimony to Spencer's riding skill, the next year they did a major redesign to put parts back in the right places.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
xopher said:
What do you mean DOT's
in Road racing on most club levels....people generally have 3 choices for tires...Rains...Slicks...and DOT's....rains and slicks are pretty self explanatory....DOT's would be Pirelli Dragon Super Corsa's for example...they have a tread pattern in them and a super sticky compond not meant for long term use...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Most would be running slicks in the top class. In North West 200 last weekend the top riders were hitting top speeds higher than that at the Isle of Man, just over 200mph. The top riders would now be running same spec bikes as WSB. Foggy won there on a Moto Cinelli Ducati 888 in 1993. The works Rotary Norton won in 1991.
The Uslter grand Prix was part of the world championship at one stage. Top riders such as Ago and Hailwood also rode there. Would you ever see Rossi in a real road race, I dont think so. In my book he can only hold up a sign saying "sorry mike" when he equals Hailwoods wins in the IOM and Ireland.
Ireland is one of the only countries in the world where the roads are closed by law for motorcycle road racing. The Isle of Man and the Macau GP being the only others that I know of.
And it is free to watch.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
xopher said:
Most would be running slicks in the top class.
I don't know about that....looking at some of the debris conditions...I'd almost favor the DOT's over slicks due to the ability to better handle and deal with some of that crap...not like they go out there and sweep the track clean...except maybe after a crash to get that debris lifted away....like the one chap that hit the inside of the castle corner.....you look at some of the turns where they were turning in late and going through some thin dirt on the road...and well...it just strikes me as being able to handle a bit better for some of those variances.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.