Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal: I've ridden sports bikes for years, including track days. But I've always had Japanese bikes (NT650, ZX6R, RS125). I've talked myself out of a liter bike (I think) and thought I settled on a new Kawa 636.

But here's the big but... I've always admired Ducatis from afar, I always thought I couldn't afford one. I haven't had a bike for a 3 years, been doing the new dad thing, but now the wife said "OK" and I plan to get one this summer. I'd like to use it as a daily driver, maybe 6000 miles a year. I'd also like something with 100+ponies (S4,748/49. 916/96). Is it time to grow up (I'm 41) and get a real moto? What to do?

Thanks
Glenn

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
GlennT said:
But here's the big but... I've always admired Ducatis from afar, I always thought I couldn't afford one. I haven't had a bike for a 3 years, been doing the new dad thing, but now the wife said "OK" ............. What to do?

Thanks
Glenn
Hurry up before she comes to her senses :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
GlennT said:
haven't had a bike for a 3 years, been doing the new dad thing, but now the wife said "OK" and I plan to get one this summer. I'd like to use it as a daily driver, maybe 6000 miles a year. I'd also like something with 100+ponies (S4,748/49. 916/96). Is it time to grow up (I'm 41) and get a real moto? What to do?

Thanks
Glenn
Take the S4.. It is a better all arounder///. The (S4,748/49. 916/96) will be a litte rough on the daily drive. It is great for the weekend hard cor twisties and track days but a little "Stiff" for the dialy rider. You can always tweak a monster into a great ride but it is hard to down grade a 748/49. 916/96.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What to do? Go to the closest Ducati dealership and have a look around. Buy whatever tugs at your heart strings the most that's within your budget. BTW, weather permitting, I use my 999 as a daily driver. I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I like kabinski's idea. Bikes should be fun, get whatever gets your heart racing. Nothing wrong with a Kaw 636, I'd love to have one or a new R-6. But please strike while the iron is hot, wife's can be fickle on the bike thing.

·
Registered
602 Posts
One of my good friends was not allowed to own a motorcycle in his younger days as long as he lived under his parents roof. He moved out after high school and immediately started riding. He has owned over a dozen japanese bikes (he says he just got too bored too quickly with the jap machines) until one of his buddies let him try his Ducati. Instantly hooked!

He quickly sold his jap bike and has owned nothing but a Ducati since (except for a brief stint with a MZ). He was such a regular fixture at the Ducati dealer that he started working there and now runs the shop. Now at the age of 40 my friend is the local "go to guy" when it comes to Ducs. Ducs are addictive! One member here uses the saying "it's not just a Ducati, it's a disease". My advice, BUY NOW!

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
kabinski said:
What to do? Go to the closest Ducati dealership and have a look around. Buy whatever tugs at your heart strings the most that's within your budget. BTW, weather permitting, I use my 999 as a daily driver. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Can we have an AMEN, brothers? Although I don't commute anymore (retired), when I was working I commuted on my '97 SS/SP. And, now I go everywhere on the 998. Even planning to go to Nova Scotia on a camping trip on the 998. Buy the Duc that makes you smile.

bruce19

·
Super Moderator
8,378 Posts
Go to a dealer and try them out!

My Dad tried to sit on my 748.. he put his foot on the peg, then just sorta looked at me and i could tell he was thinking "He´s crazy.. you CANT´T sit like this!"

The Monster is a great bike. a whole lot of fun.

And i agree. Bikes should be fun. I´d LOVE to complement my 748SP with a Multi1000DS. That is the most fun bike i ever tried for "On-road" use. The 748 is better at the track and really fast twisties (90+ mph average)

//amullo

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Don't overlook the SS1000DS. It is an awesome bike for the street. As I've said before I thinks it's Ducati's best all-around street bike. And, there's a good one for sale on this site. Check out Michael Batt's SS. I've seen it in person and if I hadn't already bought a 998, I'd probably buy it.

bruce19

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've always had Jap sportbikes, RD 350 & RD 400, ZX1000R & TL1000R, and I always wanted a Ducati since the dealer who worked on my bike sold them...I love the Monsters, 749, & 999, and even the SS, but for practicality, I ended up buying an ST3...It is a great all around bike, and you can't beat the bags for commuting/daily driver. I put my soft briefcase in my bag and head to work...And if you want to head out on a weekend of riding, you'll be able to put a ton more miles on an ST over the others...Remember the 4V will cost more in maintenance the the 2V & 3V...Just something to think about...All great bikes...I just bought my ST3 at the end of last season, so I can't wait to put more miles on it...

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Desmo_Duc said:
...And if you want to head out on a weekend of riding, you'll be able to put a ton more miles on an ST over the others....

I have to disagree. Not that the ST3 isn't a great touring bike, but I'll bet I've put as many miles on a SS as most people put on a ST during a weekend or cross-country trip. A lot depends on the rider. I've done 700-800 mi. days on a '96 SS in total comfort. Just depends on how the bike fits the rider.

bruce19

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'll clarify a little, when two up riding...I can put a ton more miles on when the wife is on the back...She has been the most comfortable on this bike...When the SO is happy...Everyone's happy!!

·
Super Moderator
8,378 Posts
I´ll agree with Bruce19 to some respect.

Can you do long days in the saddle on a SS, Monster, Superbike? Sure you can! I´ve done 400 mile days on my superbike with tankbag and backpack during MC vacations/Roadtrips.

How refreshed are you? Well.. The ST was designed for long hauls, so I´d rather have a ST4s then my 748 if I´m going to do "500 miles a day" roadtrips.

But it all depends on where and how you ride. A SS, ST or even a Superbike is an okey roadtrip bike, but so are the others in the family (monster, Multi, sportclassic). It all depends on the roadtrip.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Ok if we're talking about the best all around Ducati (and not the best looking) my vote is firmly on the Multistrada. I've done long days, and 4000 mile, 10 day trip on my `93 900SS, and I wouldn't recommend it for that purpose. It was a fun trip, meet Bruce, and saw the northeast. Any Ducati's good in my book, well excluding the Indiana...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd like to take it to work a few days a week (50 miles RT) in DFW traffic. Do they tend to have cooling issues? I've not ridden one before but I'm hoping the V twin torque would be amazing over the inline-4. Should make for a better city/commuting bike in that respect. I talked to the Duc dealer down the road. Service cost are not near what I thought thit would be. Considering the insurance on a Japanese bike the operating cost would even out a bit. 996 insurance for Dallas is less than 300 bucks a year for full coverage. Same insurance on a 636 for a year is almost 700.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
GlennT said:
Here's the deal: I've ridden sports bikes for years, including track days. But I've always had Japanese bikes (NT650, ZX6R, RS125). I've talked myself out of a liter bike (I think) and thought I settled on a new Kawa 636.

But here's the big but... I've always admired Ducs from afar, I always thought I couldn't afford one. I haven't had a bike for a 3 years, been doing the new dad thing, but now the wife said "OK" and I plan to get one this summer. I'd like to use it as a daily driver, maybe 6000 miles a year. I'd also like something with 100+ponies (S4,748/49. 916/96). Is it time to grow up (I'm 41) and get a real moto? What to do?

Thanks
Glenn
As you can see, everyone has an opinion based on THEIR likes, interests, physical condition, age, fetishes, ego, etc. In the end, who knows what
turns us on or floats our boats.

You should recap in your mind what it is that you have admired about Ducs from afar, as you say. Did you like a certain sound? Styling? Color?

After taking stock of all that, then figure out what you will be doing on the bike. Commuting is one thing, but what kind of recreational riding will you be doing? Are you a speeder, changing lanes a lot? Do you want to go on long trips on the weekend? If so, where? Will there be twisties and/or mountain riding? How would you ride in those condition, fast, with a lean into the turns, or the speed limit while taking in the beauty?

Most important, consider your physical health, meaning what kind of shape you are in. This will determine what bike will make your rides fun and comfortable, rather than a pain.​

I've got many good deals on bikes where the rider bought the bike simply looks, name, specs, or cachet. A few miles into it, they had to sell for one reason or another. Some bikes had low miles, but were months old because the seller was reluctant to sell, knowing they paid a lot for the bike. For example:

R1 - 1200 miles, 9 months old [timid rider, bike scared the hell out of him].

998 - 800 miles, 16 months old [had other bikes, mostly cruisers, was not a sportbike rider].

900 SS SP [could only afford 1 bike, had to sell so to get 999 with more HP so to keep up with other high horsepower sportbike friends on rides].

R6 - 300 miles [after buying, discovered his injured, and thus weak, left hand could not operate clutch without it hurting big time].

F4i - 1100 miles [newly married, wife said bike has to go, too dangerous].

All of the above illustrate riders who bought for one reason or another where the bike was not a good fit or circumstances changed.

So, think about it, do some research, and make an informed decision.

One tip I always throw out, look for a used bike with low miles. That way, if you decide the bike is not for you, you can sell it for little or no loss. Look on other threads where I discuss buying a used Ducati on eBay.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Desmo_Duc said:
I'll clarify a little, when two up riding...I can put a ton more miles on when the wife is on the back...She has been the most comfortable on this bike...When the SO is happy...Everyone's happy!!

Excellent point, 'cause the SS is NOT a 2-up sport tourer. When I sold my SS it was because the woman in my life was not comfortable trying to do distance on it. So, the SS was sold, and a Triumph Sprint RS and 998 came into my life. A little something for me & her, and a lot of something for me.

bruce19

·
Still lurking about. . .
332 Posts
kabinski said:
+1 :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.