Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2017 821 Monster
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some digging I learned that you want to get a 1200 monster swingarm and wheel that fits the 6 bolt rear hub. I lucked out as I found a good wheel that actually matches my front. Should be 100% bolt on. This weekend I’ll clean and paint parts.
Fender Bicycle part Automotive design Rim Personal protective equipment

Attachments

· Registered
'02 S4
12 Posts
I was thinking of doing this to my S4. I’m not sure if this is true but I was figuring a 916 single sided swingarm should work. Gonna do some more research on it before I go spending money. Post some pictures when it’s done!

· Registered
2017 821 Monster
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of doing this to my S4. I’m not sure if this is true but I was figuring a 916 single sided swingarm should work. Gonna do some more research on it before I go spending money. Post some pictures when it’s done!
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Machine Auto part
Three things to look for when swapping swingarms is the swing arm bearing locations, the battery location, and the shock location. The above picture is of the stock double sided swing arm against the 1200 monster single sided swingarm. Here, there are no differences. Everything will line up perfectly. The shock receiver mount in the swing arm is in the same exact place, and the battery area is the same size. It will accept the stock battery box and even the same battery. If you research the heck out of it you will find the perfect candidate. Of course five bolt rear wheel bearing carriers take the smaller sized axle wheels, and the 6 bolt bearing carriers take the large sized axle wheels. Ask me how I know this, hahaha. I didn’t know about the small and large axle bearing sizes and got the wrong set for myself. Actually selling them in the classified parts for sale area. You win some you lose some :)

· Registered
2017 821 Monster
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Estimated total cost for parts (ordered new from dealership, not 2nd hand)?
Estimated total cost for parts (ordered new from dealership, not 2nd hand)?
Retail through a dealer? The prices would be so steep that it wouldn’t allow this project to be feasible. It would make more sense then to just buy a bike with a single sided swing arm. There are many pluses for getting parts through dismantlers. One is they usually state the mileage of the motorcycle the parts came off of. In many cases you can get parts with lower mileage that what is on you own bike. All the parts are guaranteed and inspected. If it doesn’t work or you find something wrong that they missed they will send another or refund your money. I always asked the dismantling people, “is this part absolutely true and not bent?”, they always assured me that if throughout their inspection something is found bent or damaged they scrap it as they know it can’t be used safely. I initially started this project thinking I’ll go through a dealer to get the information I need so I know what parts are interchangeable etc. They actually were of no help in this department. They simply said to dismantlers would be the place to go, then I find out that dismantlers had no knowledge or database on what parts fit other bikes either. Most of the work is Us scouring the internet for viable information. I wanted to start this thread as a starting point for someone who owned an 821 Monster. At least they will know the 1200s monster swing arm is a 100% fit on it.

· Registered
2017 821 Monster
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hand Finger Analog watch Wrist Nail

Update:, Been busy steadily working on the SSS 821 project. FYI, when doing this conversion you must also order the brake caliper line from the donor bike, in my case the Monster 1200S. Normally the brake caliper is on the right hand side, single sided on the left, so the brake line will be too short if you don’t change. This brake line is a pain as it runs to the ABS unit under the air box which needs to be removed. Quite a lot of work. Also worth noting, my old Brembo caliper is a direct fit to the SSS. Also, on the Brembo caliper the banjo fitting bolt and the air bleed nipple are interchangeable with each other. Good to know, so place them where they work best for you. Adding some eye candy like Titanium axle bolts and pins. They don’t corrode, always look good, save weight, and since they don’t corrode will be easier to take off.

· Registered
2017 821 Monster
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Just got finished up enough to do a first start with the swing arm on. Had to see if I put everything together right. No issues, it fired right up. Waiting for my sprocket flange to arrive then I can put the new chain ring on the back.

· Registered
5,074 Posts
keep in mind the m821/1200 are nothing at all like any previous monster.

the s4 has the swingarm pivot bearings in the engine cases, like all the ss/st/sc/gt and monsters up to 2014 or so. the 916 was the first model to have the swingarm pivot bearings in the swingarm, and the 916 cases are narrow across the pivot hole compared to the above. the s2r/s4r swingarm is a bolt in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts