Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Converting 17mm front axle on early 90's Supersport to later model 20mm axle

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  muddy60 
#1 ·
This started from my 17mm speedo drive failing and not being able to find a replacement. But 20mm speedo drives are still plentiful. This is an easy swap once you have the parts, and no machining is required. I did this swap on my 1992 900SS

Parts needed:
20mm axle
20mm wheel bearings
20mm fork insert
20mm inner hub spacer
20mm speedo drive
the washer that goes between the hub and the 20mm speedo drive

All these parts are a direct swap with the original 17mm hardware.

Unfortunately I don't know what year Ducati went from 17mm to 20mm axles, but I asked Ed from ducpower.com for the 20mm axle hardware and that's what he sent me. For new bearings I bought Timken 6204-2RSC3 from amazon, which are identical to the OEM 20mm bearings.

Microphone Audio equipment Font Auto part Metal

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome! Glad you got that all worked out.

As to what year the swap to the 20mm axle occurred, my best guess is 1995 or 1996. I have the front end off of a 1996 SP on my 1993, so I actually started down this-very same road.

I took a hard right turn though as my original wheel was bent & twisted is so many directions I’m still not sure it can straightened. I wound up buying bearings and then not using them.

Wound up just getting an SSie wheel which requires much more than simply swapping bearings, axle, spacer & drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.