Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally back on the track I've decided, while I will carry liability insurance, to just track the bike for the most part. I love the 916/996, in fact I am very very pleased with the bike minus one thing, top speed.

I don't want to abandon Ducati, but if I have to experience over and over, I pass you in the turns only to have to do it in the next turn because you have a faster bike in the straits, I may sell out get a GSX-R 750 or an R6.

I did laugh as I had the bike pinned on the rev limiter in 6th and someone in this forum said that's what was going to happen with my 14-43 gearing. I know gearing has a lot do do with my top speed but it's not like the 996 is going to get to 150mph faster with different gearing,if at all. (Current gearing max speed is 125-130)

I am explaining a frustration and would like to hear from some of you that have been in the same place.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was passing R6's with my 749 and then getting repassed down the straights...yeah its shitty but at the end of the day its a lapping day not a race...
That being said my 749 engine threw a crank bearing so a 999 engine is in place for next season...
Here's to not getting repassed by R6's ;)
Oh yeah and I was running 14/41 and 14/43 on the 749 but that had less torque and more RPM so you might be geared a bit high...then again the 996 has longer tranny gears so you might be close...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
996 will absolutely do 150mph plus, even bone stock engine tuning wise.
At 15/39 I've had the speedo needle buried at max mph and still pulling. No idea what that translated to in radar certified speed, but the R1 and gsxr1000 were not pulling away. I sure as hell didn't wish for an r6 or gsxr in that moment.
After trying stock, 15/39, 15/41, 15/43, I think 15/41 is the bomb for pull and top speed. As mentioned in your previous thread on this topic, at 15/43 I felt I was missing out on significant top end potential. 14/43 seems great for stunting but not much else as per my experience.

·
Flying Brit
1,797 Posts
I raced my stock motor 749S against most of the 600's and I always finished in top 3 positions close to the leaders, even down the long straights it always seemed to have enough to stay with them but probably due to pulling out of the corners earlier and using the torque that helped immensely. Next year I am using the 749R !

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 15 and will purchase a 40/41 before my next trip to the track on the 1 and 2 of next month.

The 14-43 was superior in the turns as I had excellent torque carrying me up and out, but it fell flat on its face at 90 or so.

Thanks for the input.

I would also like to add that once I "got off" the bike and started using it to move me around the track rather than force the bike to run hard, my lap times improved significantly. It was like a spiritual rebirth. I couldn't believe how I was riding earlier in the day and until I got off the bike and began to use the knee I wouldn't have known better. In the first 5 sessions I thought I was fine since I was passing plenty in the turns and keeping up for a bit in the straits, but I wasn't tired after each session. When the last session was over, when I "got off" the bike I was winded, tired. My lines were better, carried more weight in, everything felt 100 X better. And that's what converted me. There is no going back and there is nothing like.

Time for sliders and track fairing.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
996 will absolutely do 150mph plus, even bone stock engine tuning wise.
At 15/39 I've had the speedo needle buried at max mph and still pulling.
Yeah, but doesn't it take half a year getting there? Coming out of a sweeper at 90 to a quarter mile strait at WOT I might make 140mph.

Anyhow, I was at the track running 15/40 and it was much much better, and faster. I need to take a link out and will sit with 14/40. (JT doesn't make a 41)

Am I mistaken in thinking that my 996, with minor mods, is about the same, in power, as a heavy 600 with loads of torque? I haven't riden anything else, besides Ducati, for 4+ years now and I don't remember.

After a couple hard starts for the last 2 sessions, and couple of stalls at idle, I'm leaning toward a more reliable/modern bike. I can't deal with the maintenance anymore. (However, after trailering home, 3.5 hours, its starts and idles without an issue.)

What's holding me back is the look, the way it carries a line, the torque, and the ergos but I know all of those will go away the better I get. Maybe not the looks. Will someone tell me the grass isn't greener so I can end the mental anguish and keep the bike.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,841 Posts
You think you've got it rough now? Try a 748 on the three big straights of Road America. Poor thing must have been chugging, trying to drag my 235 uphill...

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a 2.4m track. I did regear. At the beginning of next year I will run shorter tracks.

I can't stress enough, if I have at all, how much I like my bike and how it handles and the torque. Even the brakes aren't that bad after 14 years. I like the weight of it because it feels planted in the turns and gives me confidence.

But now that I am going full track I see the future, crashes and parts. Fairings, sliders, broken levers, radial masters, lighter wheels, lighter everything, etc. But I can get a legitimate race bike for 4k with everything I want... for now.

But what I think it comes down to is I am wanting things I don't need, need to learn to ride better, and see how things go at the beginning of next year. I just can't bare the idea of replacing another rocker.

Lastly, I think I am being over zealous about getting in to track the scene and need to cool down. It's just so much fun, more than I ever anticipated, and has my mind in a buzz.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Great pictures.....you have to understand your on an "old" Ducati superbike which although is a great motorcycle in and of itself, it's not up to competing with the I4's. IF Larry Pegram is going to complain that his 1198R can't compete w/ the I4s...(thus going to a BMW, still finishes the same regardless) and the Ducati WSBK teams complain, how is your bike going to hold up against the Japanese inlines. Talent will only take you so far, maybe it's time for a stronger L-twin or I4. There's nothing wrong with what you have, you just need more of it.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great pictures.....you have to understand your on an "old" Ducati superbike which although is a great motorcycle in and of itself, it's not up to competing with the I4's. IF Larry Pegram is going to complain that his 1198R can't compete w/ the I4s...(thus going to a BMW, still finishes the same regardless) and the Ducati WSBK teams complain, how is your bike going to hold up against the Japanese inlines. Talent will only take you so far, maybe it's time for a stronger L-twin or I4. There's nothing wrong with what you have, you just need more of it.
Yeah, I had a similar conversation yesterday and have reached the conclusion that I am going to stay with the 996 until I get my license, put no money into it, get better and then some time in the middle of the next year get something else.

I believe I will start racing in the 2014 season and more than likely run a 600. What bothers me is that to know what bike I am going to want I would need to have at least one session at the track. There are some epic deals on track bikes here in Texas and the surrounding states but again, I want to ride several bikes before I commit to a race bike... and keep the Ducati.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Check your lap times and calculate how much time you actually spend on the straights. IMO carrying corner speed and hitting the apexes should keep you competitive. I use a 15/40 on my 996 and I certainly don't give anything away to 600's. In fact my 900 track bike with a 14/38 doesn't suffer against 600's but it really excels in corners and on the brakes.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
You can sell it, you know where your heart is! :)
A 748 (had one) doesnt make much of high speed, 996 is better, same chassie and the engine I use, even at mugello, never saw over 290kph GPS.

Namor; with the 916 chassie you have to sit the way you do, not like the latter ducatis which you have to hang off, or any inline.
Have a good look at how the pros handle the 916/996, all the other guys hang off, but the 996 guys. There is a reason.
Ive ridden inlines and on those I have the 'cool' hang off pics, but on the 996 I dont hang off, its not needed.
Go ahead, Id say youre on it.

ZDM; in a wsbk matter its old, but in clubrace 916 frame is quite valid.
It gets increasingly harder to set the new 'super' bikes up, while the older ones are straight, itll meet soon :)

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
You can sell it, you know where your heart is! :)
A 748 (had one) doesnt make much of high speed, 996 is better, same chassie and the engine I use, even at mugello, never saw over 290kph GPS.

Namor; with the 916 chassie you have to sit the way you do, not like the latter ducatis which you have to hang off, or any inline.
Have a good look at how the pros handle the 916/996, all the other guys hang off, but the 996 guys. There is a reason.
Ive ridden inlines and on those I have the 'cool' hang off pics, but on the 996 I dont hang off, its not needed.
Go ahead, Id say youre on it.

ZDM; in a wsbk matter its old, but in clubrace 916 frame is quite valid.
It gets increasingly harder to set the new 'super' bikes up, while the older ones are straight, itll meet soon :)
Yeah Tom w/ a 1198 engine in it:D..just kidding Tom...I agree 100%...that is a very capable race bike. He's complaining about the same thing the big boys are....lack of all out top end(hence the 1199). He can only make up so much in the corners....I wouldn't care who passed me because I'm riding a Ducati. I'm sure the folks watching would rather see the Duc circulate the track more than any other brand.
Interesting subject as it relates to the WSBK level also.
You couldn't pry my 43T rear sprocket off my 999 (15/43T) it will never see the track, but it feels more responsive the way a race bred bike should..... and still has the capability of 150mph top end. IMO there isn't a better combo for a road going 999 but I'm also running an overbore kit which could make it all work.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah Tom w/ a 1198 engine in it:D..just kidding Tom...I agree 100%...that is a very capable race bike. He's complaining about the same thing the big boys are....lack of all out top end(hence the 1199). He can only make up so much in the corners....I wouldn't care who passed me because I'm riding a Ducati. I'm sure the folks watching would rather see the Duc circulate the track more than any other brand.
Interesting subject as it relates to the WSBK level also.
You couldn't pry my 43T rear sprocket off my 999 (15/43T) it will never see the track, but it feels more responsive the way a race bred bike should..... and still has the capability of 150mph top end. IMO there isn't a better combo for a road going 999 but I'm also running an overbore kit which could make it all work.
Oh, I'm not too hard up for more power now because I haven't gotten the most out of the bike in the corners. However, I am looking long term. And after riding and enjoying the Pinagle, I would consider time on an R1 or CBR1K before I made a final decision which then I would settle on an 08+ R6 to race.

For now I will pull the heads and check the valve tolerances while I remove .1mm from the base gaskets.

15/43 is excellent for the streets. Even my 14/43 was good for the streets, but I cannot imagine being happy with similar gearing at the track with a close ratio tranny.

And yes, every time I hit 9k rpm I imagine a burst of power and am let down every time.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
TomTom has a souped up 1198 engine in his 998 frame by the way... I guess if I could either afford to or do the maintenance myself on a late model Ducati track bike I would rather have one as my dedicated track bike. The race maintenance schedule is intensive on a Duc, much less so on a Panigale of I4.
I was running a 15/41 on my 999, went to a 43 for kicks just because I got a deal on a 43T ultralight steel sprocket. It just "feels" the power is right there w/ this gearing combo. It's only running 275 some rpm higher, but it's more explosive every where. I've actually snicked into 5th and 6th a few times....I'll bet those gears haven't any wear on them:D Also that low rpm chugging and lugging is gone. Less bucking has to have a positive effect on the rear crush drive and drive line as a whole anyway....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts