Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to order tires tomorrow. I was set on the ContiRoad attack tires but am thinking about sticking with Avons. Simple reason is their costomer service, so far, sucks. I have sent three emails asking about tire pressures but they simply will not give any specific advice. Everything they have sent me is worded in generalities like "we recommend getting a pair of ContiSport Attacks for your track day and using the ContiRoad Attacks for the street." Three times I ask "what pressure should I run on the road, and then on the track", and they would not quote even a starting point for either. Are they trying to cover their a** by not helping or what? Avon was most helpful in this regard.

·
Registered
152 Posts
customer service

Annoying, I know, but if you think the Contis are the best tire then don't let their service get in the way. At least that's my outlook - you deal with the tires every time you ride, service only occasionally. Surely someone here can clue you in to pressures.

·
Registered
319 Posts
There is a technical specification chart at their web site.

Continetal Technical Specification pdf file

On page 47, it has the listing for all the different Ducati ST models. Depending on your bike model and the tire, they recommend:

ST2. ST3, ST4S ABS (all different tires models) and ST4S (Sport Attack ONLY)

2.5F/2.9R bar => 36F/42R psi

ST4S (All tires excluding Sport Attack)

2.2F/2.5R bar => 32F/36R psi

I am not sure why they have different tire listing for NOn-ABS ST4S!? :confused:

-Fariborz

·
Registered
63 Posts
Conti Road Attack Pressures

When I queried Continental about recommended Road Attack pressures for my '03 ST4s, they responded:

"Our test riders/engineers in Germany recommend the following for your bike:
-120/70ZR17 Road Attack = 36 "cold" psi.
-180/55ZR17 Road Attack = 42 "cold" psi."

(I seem to recall another member getting the same response from them.)

I've been running these pressures since installing the tires and have been very pleased with the grip and wear - after more than 1500 miles, they still have some of the "Road Attack" lettering visible on the tread area.:)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yep, I got the same response as Cap'n Jack...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll use the same data then, thanks. I'm actually thinking of trying the ContiSport Attacks. Any idea of expected milage and are they significantly better in performance than the ContiRoads? If they're much better and I can still get 3K miles then I might go for them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Kramer said:
That is what they say on their website for STs. It is a helpful site. They are good tyres.

Doc

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
On the Conti Road Attack tire itself it states max 45psi, since I too run the F36 R42 would I want to increase both f/r if I was riding say 4hrs straight on an Interstate 70 mph+ w/panniers and a duffle bag (I'll guess 40 lbs. of gear + me at 210 lbs w/gear on).

The tire also stated made in Korea.

·
Registered
63 Posts
East - West

jbourque said:
The tire also stated made in Korea.
My front says, "Made in Korea" - the rear says, "Made in Germany" - however, they seem to communicate well on the road through the Italian interpreter. ;)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Correction to original jbourque post

CapnJack52 said:
My front says, "Made in Korea" - the rear says, "Made in Germany" - however, they seem to communicate well on the road through the Italian interpreter. ;)
Sure enough Capn't, f/Korea r/Germany. Also correction to my eariler post regarding Conti RoadAttacks max psi being 45 that is false it states max load 42 psi. I stand corrected.

CapnJack52 did you go with a 170 rear vs oem 180? I did. 1600 miles so far and I like them.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered ContiSport Attack's and should have them on in a week. Went with 120/front & 180/rear. My mileage this year is likely going to be significantly less than last year (probably 6-8K versus 11K) so if the Sports are stickier I won't mind having to buy probably only two sets this summer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
jbourque said:
CapnJack52 did you go with a 170 rear vs oem 180? I did. 1600 miles so far and I like them.
jab - I stayed with the OEM 180 and am likin' it just fine. Just added ~500 miles the other day with a one-way trip to Wilmington NC and they're still showing little wear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Different Opinion

I spooned on a set of Continental Road attacks 1700miles ago, thinking they would handle great and wear like iron, at least from what I gleaned from my fellow Ducatisti on this site. Well, the handling is OK (ST4s abs), but the front tire is almost shot already. I ride mostly twisty roads here in the SF Bay area, and at times ride aggressively, but jeez, only 1700 miles! That's less milage than I got with a set of Diablo Corsas on my old Speed Triple--and I rode that bike with abandon. Won't be buying any more contis

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Another Different Opinion

Just to add more data points to the discussion, my front Conti Road Attack was still going strong after 6,500 miles of aggressive canyon twisties. The rear finally died at 5,500 miles. I put a temporary Dunlop D208 on the rear when I wore out the Road Attack and after 500-600 miles, I had worn the D208 down to 50% of it's original thread!!

I eventually put on a new set of Conti Road Attacks and I think they are even better than the first set. Sadly, I picked up a construction staple in the rear after only 800 miles! I tried plugs, but still have a slow leak. A new Conti Road Attack rear is on order.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts