Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone looking to purchase Conti Road Attacks online, I found a vendor on eBay, accessorysurplus, offering them for $205/pair (120/70-17 - 180/55-17) with FREE shipping - best price I've found anywhere. They were delivered in just a couple of days. Can't wait to mount 'em up ... :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oldguy said:
How do the Conti's compare to the Michelin Pilot Sports that came on my '05 ST-3?
Jack.
If you check the Ducati.ms archive, there's a pretty good thread about Mark Turbo's experience with them - I haven't tried them yet. To sum up what I recall, they stick about the same as the Pilot Sports, heat up faster, and are projected to last longer - of course, YMMV.

I thought ST3's were fitted with Pilot Roads vice Sports, no?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I absolutely LOVE mine. Good all-arounder tires. Felt better than my Mich-Pilot Sports, but then-again they were shot when I replaced them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm sure you"ll be as ecstatic about them as I am mine. Huge improvement over the stock Pilot Roads that I had, & you got them at a great price.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
How long have you been riding w/the Conti Road Attacks? I have been looking at these for a replacement since I first heard about them.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I've got a little over 3,000 miles on my Road Attacks so far and I still love them more than the Avon Azaro's I've had on the ST. There's very little sign of wear on the rear so far and virtually no wear on the front. I simply love the way the ST handles with the Contis.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GordyNM said:
Thanks Capn for the tip. I just ordered a set!
You're welcome! They never did provide me with a UPS tracking number, but, as I said, they showed up well-boxed in just a couple of days. Guess they're too busy filling orders to mess around with silly ol' email. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new set for this spring and was going to try a set of Avons, but this is going to push me over the edge to try a set of these Conti's. Coop

·
Registered
58 Posts
Before you get out the Visa card...

I ride mostly the twisty roads of the SF Bay area and somehow managed to wear out my new Conti Road Attack front tire in about 1700 miles. The sides are toast. It could maybe do another 1000mi of freeway though. So far, the back is worn down to about 40% tread remaining (no chicken strips) ST4s. I'm very careful about pressure, 37f/42r and my suspension was set up for me at Aftershocks, in Palo Alto (highly recommended). I ride assertively, but never with abandon, you know 7/10th on some of my favorite roads. Don't believe all the hype about mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
j1b3h0 said:
I ride mostly the twisty roads of the SF Bay area and somehow managed to wear out my new Conti Road Attack front tire in about 1700 miles. The sides are toast. It could maybe do another 1000mi of freeway though. So far, the back is worn down to about 40% tread remaining (no chicken strips) ST4s. I'm very careful about pressure, 37f/42r and my suspension was set up for me at Aftershocks, in Palo Alto (highly recommended). I ride assertively, but never with abandon, you know 7/10th on some of my favorite roads. Don't believe all the hype about mileage.
I'm sorry, but your experience is contrary to everything else I've heard to date! There has to be something unusual going on with your particular set of tires or setup.

My front Road Attack was still going after 6,500 miles when I replaced both tires with a new set of Contis. The rear lasted 5,500 miles. I too ride lots and lots of twisty roads around Oregon , Washington and Idaho and I run 36F/42R pressures. My suspension was setup by Circuit 1, but I must admit, it's a little too stiff now since I've lost weight! :D

I might expect your sort of mileage from the Conti Sport Attacks, but not the Road Attacks! There has to be some other explanation here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm very impressed with Conti Road Attacks. I've done about 5,000 km and they have very little sign of wear. The have better adhesion than the Michelin Pilot Powers and vastly superior to Pilot Roads - which are pretty crappy except for straight line freeway riding.

Doc

·
Registered
67 Posts
I purchased mine a while back from this same vendor, very quick shipping and the price can't be beat. I finally just got them mounted up a few weeks ago and I love the feel of these tires. I too am looking for more than 2,500 miles out of a set of skins, so hopefully I will experience some of these mileage numbers that you guys are reporting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
couchflyer said:
How long have you been riding w/the Conti Road Attacks? I have been looking at these for a replacement since I first heard about them.
Mine have been on for over 5,000 miles and seem to be wearing well. When I first got them, I had to get used to how responsive they are. Since then, I've found nothing but enjoyment in them.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
JonS, I did get a pair. I went on a rode trip to Red Lodge and the Bear Tooth Pass with them. I really like them. They are so much better, than than the Michelin Pilot Roads. Softer, better road adhesion, I feel more confident with these tires on the corners. Now I have to find a set of good forks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Good to hear so many of you are very happy with your Conti RA's. I was similarly positive when I got my first set on but the 2nd and 3rd were not so good so I changed back to Pilot Roads which I never tried before. Did my first miles today om them (40 degrees F) and looked promising but too cold for the real stuff.

When the front Conti was getting older I was experiencing a lot of vibrations/shimmy in the front, I think thanks to cupping and uneven wear laterally. Disliked it because of that. So therefore stepped over to another brand. All the shimmy and vibes are gone now the Michelins are on but I also got my front disks replaced under warranty so, objectively speaking, not 100% sure that it is only the Road Attack that caused it.

The front of my 4s started developing shimmy and vibes somewhere around 5000 miles. The Conti had then still 4 to 5 mm on it. Replaced it at 8500 miles with still 2 mm threads on it on the worst spot. So if you're experiencing issues at the front with the tyre getting older it may well be the cause ...

Just wondering whether the tyres at yours come out of trhe same factory as over here, would suspect not and that's maybe a reason for quality differences.

I paid for a set of Conti's incl fitting and balancing something like € 370 over here ..... so what about market dynamics ?

Ciao

1 - 17 of 17 Posts