Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike had an issue with power and poor throttle response. The initial problem was the fuel pump assemby that was changed. The bike was dyno'd and down on power. This is what one of the pistons looked like on tear down. 20,000 miles on 1198sp.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
looks like a defect.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
That should not have made it passed quality control, and certainly not past the assembly stage.

Defect in my opinion.

Is the cylinder fine?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The photo of the cylinder looks a little scored, but nothing major. I never raced or beat on that motor. Changed the oil every 1,000 miles and used a filter to look for shavings in the oil. Not one foreign object in the oil. More photos tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
The pistons are vacuum die-cast , looks like casting porosity on the skirt , on the edge looks like a casting cold shut. Both defects may not have been apparent till piston was thermal cycled .

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Thermal diecast??? Why did I think they were forged???? Defective. Early 1098??? Do you have a pic of the crown, inside and out???

·
Registered
308 Posts
Try to contact them. But you disassemble engine by yourself and not official mechanic,..

Why are pistons so yellow on top or is that just picture ?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Thermal diecast??? Why did I think they were forged???? Defective. Early 1098??? Do you have a pic of the crown, inside and out???
They do look forged in the other photo's,. was the 1098 cast ? Now that i see the other photo's it looks like a failure not porosity .

·
Registered
666 Posts
By all means go back to Ducati in regard to the piston issue.

It is clearly a manufacturing defect and Ducati will possibly offer a gesture of good will on the piston. It's been known to happen before, and it doesn't hurt to ask the question:wink2:
But given the age of the engine, perhaps not:frown2:

What's the worst that can happen?
They say no?

No big deal.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
you probably violated any chance of warranty because you took it apart your self. but try any way. certainly saved the motor by taking it apart, that would have failed soon with catastrophic effect.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Not sure about that Gary, if the part is not fit for purpose the laws should protect the consumer.

Craig

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Not sure about that Gary, if the part is not fit for purpose the laws should protect the consumer.

Craig
20,000 miles , good luck , the laws ? MORE GOVERNMENT . Is warranty not part of terms of sale .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did not do the work. Originally I was told that there was sand in the air box. The valves and the head are fine. No way sand would get into the motor any other way. Every oil change was clean and like new. I have an extended warranty so I will go that route. I still would like Ducati to do something. That is their fault, not abuse.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts