Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have over the last week or two been writing back and forth with the customer support at Termignoni where I have made them aware of the absurd situation where we are forced to purchase our exhausts from other suppliers because Ducati can’t be bothered to supply them to us because our bikes are “to old”and them contractually not being allowed to by Ducati, below here are what I would say is the final word unless somebody have an idea how to put some pressure on Ducati.:mad:

Sent: 29. august 2012 16:59
To:
Subject: R: Contatti da -

Hello

This situation look like is absurd,

But look it by our side, we have some loyal customer and that want to buy some exhaust that maybe we have already ready in our ware house, so we should only take the money and ship the exhaust and we can't d it because Ducati wrote in the contract(and off course Ducati ha strong contract power compared to us) that we can't sell or give assistance to anyone who has a Ducati Bike because all the product and the assistance should be given by them.

Yes is strange but this is the way..unfortunatelly.

I hope you could understand our position.

Regards,

Termignoni Customers Care

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Ha! They should just start up another division that is not under contract and have them fabricate the parts, that get sold to Termi proper and then to Ducati and also to the rest of the market. Those that want Termi-branded pipes go through Ducati (and they can still make it exclusive with the ECU) and those that want to roll their own can buy Termi Jr. exhausts.

Exclusivity contracts are a bargain with the devil.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
The blame seems to me to be with Ducati, not Termignoni. They have to live up to their contract now and they had to agree to the contract then. Otherwise someone else would get Ducati's business.

Think of the Chinese companies that make accessories sold by Apple dealers. What would happen to one of them if they started selling such products under a different name? Gonzo!

Sort of like a gorgeous lady that has become someone's wife and stops putting out for you. You may not like it but how can you justly complain? :p

-don

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
A creative business owner would find a way to service the market. They must like the cushy OEM contract and see no point in angering their benefactor.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
A creative business owner would find a way to service the market. They must like the cushy OEM contract and see no point in angering their benefactor.
Contracts like this aren't uncommon Ducati is the proverbial 800 lb gorilla and Termi will do what's required to make them happy.

What's strange is Ducati's attitude. "You can't buy Termi exhausts from anyone but us, and it just so happens that you can't buy them from us either"

Even the tank issue is strange, I found out recently (in the SF section) that not only are they not addressing owners issues with warped tanks, they still produce unlined tanks using the same vendor and the same materials.

This weighs on my mind every-time I'm temped to buy another.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You could take a set of Termis to China and they could pump them out for like $400 a set provided you could sell a bunch of sets. They do this with branded phones, flashlights, etc. all the time.

Their Surefire lights are so good replicas many people that think they have a Surefire have a Chinese replica.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
It does seem a bit odd that, if Termignoni can produce them on demand, they why wouldn't Ducati take orders for the parts and resell them on demand? The only reason I can think of is that possibly it has to do with the homologation process, as in they are required to produce a certain % of products which pass inspection/meet emissions requirements (hence the stainless vs aluminum race only cans). I would imagine going through the homologation process for a lot of goods only makes sense if there are a large quantity to spread the cost over.

All that being said, I have heard rumors that there may be an inside track to acquire Termi hardware direct from the factory, but it's under the radar. Nothing definite though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts