Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I wanted to get your opinion on a trade that I'm considering doing.

I recently bought an ’08 S that I shipped from a dealer in Minnesota this last September. I love this bike to death as it is setup exactly the way I would have my perfect S to be. You could say that owning this bike has shown me how much I love the hyper more than I could have ever possibly imagined which has shamefully enough made me really want to experience owning the latest and arguably greatest rendition of the original Hyper.

Coming from primarily of a dirtbike/supermoto background, the extra height and ground clearance of the SP in particular is what really appeals to me. The updated modern electronics and Evoluzione motor are all bonuses. The more I’ve looked at the 2013 models, the longer I see myself owning the original.

I’ve actually tried sourcing out used SP forks but have concluded that it would be more cost effective to simply sell my S and find a nicely setup SP instead as the cost of finding a pair of these forks would just about work out to be about the same if that makes sense.

There’s been a white SP for sale locally that I’ve been watching over the past month and decided to finally contact the owner about it. This particular bike is setup very similar accessory wise as mine and has the same 2-1 Termi exhaust system, DP racing seat, axle sliders and some C/F accessories. The owner would be interested in doing a partial trade for my bike, plus $2k on my part. He states that it is in perfect condition. For reference, my ’08, which is flawless throughout, has 3900 miles and his 2010 has 7400. It is obviously due for its 7500 mile service but apparently he has a friend who is a mechanical at a local Duc dealership who will do it. I am planning to go and take a look at the bike this weekend and talk with him more about the service logistics and how that would work.

Does $2k sound out of the ballpark to add in on a trade, assuming the bike checked out?

I have decided that I love my current bike too much to sell it outright and buy a stock SP only to purchase the same $$$ accessories. To locate an out of state similarly setup SP and ship it would most likely be out of the question and since this particular bike is already setup and have the opportunity to trade, it is why I am interested.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

For reference, here are the two bikes.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
you would be crazy not to go for it, and he is crazy to accept it.

jump on that before this man comes to his senses. a white SP is one of the most unique stock bikes ever created.. and you're correct, people spend a lot of money to "upgrade" their bikes whereas this has basically everything you could ever want.

just do it man, truly a no-brainer.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
yeah that dude is on drugs , take advantage quickly!

white evo sp = gold

·
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, it helps reinforce my decision.

I'll see if I can make it work. This would be a bike that I would see myself owning for a very long time to come.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks guys, it helps reinforce my decision.

I'll see if I can make it work. This would be a bike that I would see myself owning for a very long time to come.
Doesn't sound like a bad deal at all to me. But if it were me I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two once saddled up. If anything I'd put that $2k into painting mine if the paint scheme is really what you want (fairings, subframe, triples, rearsets, etc.). That'd come out to a LOT cheaper upgrade and you already that yours has slightly less mileage and is in GOOD shape. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The white evo sp is the nicest hyper in my opinion!!! I would trade my 09 standard + cash right away!!! If the bike is in good condition .....

·
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Nope, not it doing for the color.

There are actually quite a few subtle differences between the two models.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i think that the sp is a bike with having. I just like that bit of extra height

·
Registered
140 Posts
I cant speak for the older Hyper as I never rode one, but I do love my 2010 Evo SP. Being a tall guy it fits me well, and for the riding I do it's the perfect weapon.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It's all down to what you really want out of a motorcycle. Mine ticks all the boxes for me.

·
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, your insight is appreciated.

The main thing that appeals to me most about the SP in particular over my S is the extra height.

·
Smut peddler
1,238 Posts
If you got that bike from Delano, you are the bastard that stole my bike!:D I dickered around when my buddy told me aboot that bike, and I finally decided to pull the pin at what ended up to be 2 hours too late, because you called. I even considered telling the dealer that I would pay you a couple hundred to walk away from the deal, but he said you sent your deposit in. My buddy knows that bike well, and it is one nice ride. It not only has a TON of goodies on it, but was also very well taken care of. I would think long and hard before letting go of a bike like that.

·
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you got that bike from Delano, you are the bastard that stole my bike!:D I dickered around when my buddy told me aboot that bike, and I finally decided to pull the pin at what ended up to be 2 hours too late, because you called. I even considered telling the dealer that I would pay you a couple hundred to walk away from the deal, but he said you sent your deposit in. My buddy knows that bike well, and it is one nice ride. It not only has a TON of goodies on it, but was also very well taken care of. I would think long and hard before letting go of a bike like that.
No way!

Wow, I didn't know about this. I apologize for any hard feelings! :(

Honestly, this same kind of situation happend with me once or twice before I came across this one. It just goes to show that there are others out there.... such as this one in my case. That being said and you haven't already, you will find another. One of the neat things about a Ducati is that the majority of them are very well kept and often are already setup with the right accessories. It can be discouraging when you feel like the right one escaped but you'll find the right one, but it'll come along and may it may not be on the market at the moment. Don't settle for less.

Yes, this one is just about as pristine as one could come and I would have a very hard time seeing it go. That said, the SP has a lot to live up to condition wise. I will be looking at the '10 this weekend and will keep you all posted.

·
Smut peddler
1,238 Posts
Too funny. After I lost the one you got (and after I got done kicking myself in the ass), I grabbed a case of sparks (the orange ones, what kind of tool would like the red ones?), 20 slimjims, and a box of wet wipes, and started my search across the nation to find a hyper. I found one in IL, and sealed the deal as soon as I found it (lesson learned). It isn't anywhere near as trick as yours, but it is black, which is my color of choice, so it's all good. But yours is one nice piece, that is for sure.

And from here on oot, we may be Ducbrothers, but we will never be Ducfriends...:D

·
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm glad to hear you found one that was your color of choice! An Evo too it looks like!

You'll enjoy turning it into your own personal bike.

And from here on oot, we may be Ducbrothers, but we will never be Ducfriends...
Hahaha, alright. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hyper snatched

Well,

I'm the tool who likes RED sparks, and I'm the guy who's buddy traded the '08 in on a KTM.....(fool). I am also the buddy who told and showed Jackie Treehorn the '08 and he sat and pud-knocked too long and then some guy did a internet deal.......talk about a good dealer, they had a guy standing there with CASH and still made the deal over the phone.....lucky you.

I guess my pal had the time to think about his bad decision and went to Chi-town to get the blackie as soon as he knew he was fuc*ed on the '08......about 2.5 minutes.

Uli.

·
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update:

Went to look at it today and couldn't believe that it has anywhere near 7400 miles on it. Condition wise, it's flawless. You'd guess that it had maybe 500 miles-?, if that, on it. The controls and everything appear as if they had never been used. Contrary to the pics, the tires were recently replaced and are near new as well.

I put cash down and we agreed upon the $2k. I feel it's going to be a good deal as the seller is going to cover the cost of the 7500 service as well as sales tax to keep it an even $2k trade. Depending on the service arrangements, I should have it in my hands later next week.

The S will going to a REALLY good home. The seller and I both share the same attributions on bike care and I have strong faith that it will be in good hands and treated as it should. I am very proud to have owned such a wonderful example as this one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts